>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was referring directly to the first one. I don't think Andy Reid ever showed Deshaun Jackson how to run a skinny post.

He likes fast players and his teams are noted for their speed.

His fastest time is to the buffet and back.

I don't think Andy is in a hurry for anything. He might stay a while but that buffet ain't going anywhere.

I worked on my Grandfather's clambakes for 25+ years. Will that do??

Kim

Is that really a saying, or just something u say? How can you teach something you can't do yourself
It is really a saying, that I've heard all my life.

It's not necessarily derogatory. Think of sports coaches. They may not be able to play, but they can teach.

It is really a saying, that I've heard all my life.

It's not necessarily derogatory. Think of sports coaches. They may not be able to play, but they can teach.
There's another saying as well - "Practice does not make perfect, Perfect practic does!"
I'm full of them! ;)
Anyone who knows me knows that I'm full of something!

Kim

Rusty's Spinner -Rusty Gates developed this pattern sometime between 1984 to 1989 and though it was designed as a for the Isonychia hatch it also works well as an Ephemerella and Ephamerra imitation as well. Michigan fly historian Tom Deschaine said that Rusty had promised to provide Tom with a new fly pattern before he died. Unfortunately, Rusty passed before he could keep that promise. Josh Greenburg became the new owner of Gate's Au Sable Lodge and was the first to tie this pattern from Rusty's written specifications.
908578132_RustysSpinner.thumb.jpg.9b24f94ea0ac8fd794387b24f51133f8.jpg
Hook - standard dry, 10-12 (these are the original specs but, it may be tied as small as an 18)
Thread - dark brown
Tail - 4-5 moose mane hairs
Rib - tying thread
Body - dark reddish-brown dyed deer hair, tied parallel to the shank and flared at the hook bend (original dye used was Rit, Cocoa Brown #20)
Wings - grizzly hen tips, tied 3/4 spent
Hackle - grizzly and brown, mixed (some fishers like to trim the top and bottom of the hackle before fishing)

Sand Drake - Ralph Hanna, a long time professional tyer from Traverse City, MI created this fly for the Sand Drake hatch (AKA Grey Fox or March Brown) in the 1950's. This is a common mayfly in the Mid-west and east.
579058424_SandDrake.thumb.jpg.d50ded405e21df8a98c87970fd31cddc.jpg
Hook - Mustad 94831, 8-10
Thread - black
Tail - 2 PT fibers
Body - tan yarn, tied with a tuft/loop tied just beyond the hook bend
Body Wing - light deer hair, tied trude-style and extending beyond the hook bend
Throat Wing - tan hackle tips
Hackle - tan

Bangers

Bob's Bangers

It's amazing what fish eat.

Tutorial here:

Schmidt's Yarn Body Hex - Designed by Ray Schmidt in the 1970's. Ray says that his tying was heavily influenced by his uncle, Grayling, MI game warden and fly tyer Clarence Roberts (check out Mr. Roberts Yellow May, Robert's Drake, Spent Blue and Spent Wing Caddis Hex patterns previously posted as part of this series). Ray designed this pattern to have a different look as other hex patterns. Before fishing this fly, you'll want to put it in a container and fog it with some 3M Scotchgard then charge it with a flashlight. Then just fish it dead drift in the evening or after dark. Goat hair is used because it is straighter and floats better than calf tail.
1952254587_SchmidtsYarnBodyHex.thumb.jpg.147fa6ffe7b1597650e8dca9e741ae40.jpg
Hook - Daiichi 1280, 6
Thread - yellow mono 3/0
Tail - moose body hairs
Underbody - yellow sparkle yarn
Over Body - deer body hair, extended and flared just beyond the hook gap and crisscross ribbed with tying thread
Wing - glow in the dark flashabou added to goat hair, tied spent
Hackle - ginger, tied heavy

Seth Green - This pattern is one of many tied by Clarence Roberts, this one tied in the 1950's. There are 2 conflicting stories on how this fly was named 1) Clarence knew a Michigan Conservation Officer named Seth Green or, 2) Clarence was familiar with the Seth Green fly designed by New Yorker Mr. Seth Green. BTW, there are SEVERAL different fly patterns with this same handle! This pattern is a great for the late spring brown drake hatch.
812509342_SethGreen.thumb.jpg.f12c9fc24b6739ca77a1aac5b5c38ca7.jpg
Hook - Mustad 94840, 12
Thread - black
Tail - woodchuck hairs
Wing - grizzly hackle tips, tied spent
Rib - yellow mono chord
Body - dark olive floss
Hackle - brown

Skunk Hopper - This fly was first tied in 2005 by Master Fly Tyer Dennis Potter. This pattern is not easy to tie, and you'll want to use high quality elk hair. Fish this anytime during hopper season and feel free to adjust the size of the hook and color to match the hoppers where you are fishing.
945628967_SkunkHopper.thumb.jpg.0cd64a24df17202fc1c6bcb8e18348ed.jpg
Hook - TMC 9395, 6-10
Thread - GSP to match body
Tail - red, orange or pink calf tail, combed and stacked
Body - crystal antron chenille in tan, yellow, or light olive
Wing - natural elk hair, tied down skunk style and head trimmed to a knob
Legs - round rubber (they should match the color of the body

Spent Blue - This is one of Clarence Roberts lesser known patterns first tied around 1950. Clarence was a Michigan Game Warden from 1942 - 1971as well as being an accomplished fly fisher and tyer. This is a searcher/attractor pattern.
1938017633_SpentBlue.thumb.jpg.63b34689d8e5355840300c1e280c9e92.jpg
Hook - Mustad 94840, 10-12
Thread - black
Tail - wood duck flank fibers
Wing - badger hackle tips, tied spent and separated
Rib - flat gold tinsel
Body - pale blue floss
Hackle - brown and grizzly hackle, mixed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back