WF or DT

Jayl,

I'm not saying you shouldnt have backing. PA fish rarely go into your backing unless they are brutes. Ive hooked decent sized trout with them not going into my backing. I kinda have these things called legs that I can walk with and follow the fish. With todays drag systems fish dont have a chance.

Tom,

I use all the line and how ever much backing I can fit on the reel.

Here is an angler who understands fly lines. His opinion on DT vs WF is spot on..The first 5 minutes or so, the rest is good too..

http://orvisffguide.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=565116

bassistjon112 wrote:
Jayl,

I'm not saying you shouldnt have backing. PA fish rarely go into your backing unless they are brutes. Ive hooked decent sized trout with them not going into my backing. I kinda have these things called legs that I can walk with and follow the fish. With todays drag systems fish dont have a chance.

My biggest trout ever cam from a hole in Pine that was 8-10 feet deep and several hundred feet long. I caught him on spinning gear, but he made at least 6 runs that were well over 100 yards. I can't help but think how disappointed I would have been if I had a fly rod with no backing that day. Just sayin'.

Boyer

How are you gonna leave us hangin on the details?

jayL wrote:

Jeez Jay. I coulda' sworn I've told you that story 10 times. You and I even fished that hole at the '07 jam. I'll try to bring the video to the jam.

Boyer

The best line for roll casting hands down is the Wulff Triangle Taper. The front "taper" is about 27 feet long and it is one continuous taper slightly decreasing in diameter from that point to the tip. The theory is heavier line is always turning over lighter line.

Some weight forward lines have a tip, front taper, short belly and then a gradual rear taper before getting to the running line. Once you extend into the rear taper roll casting will be not be as easy simply because lighter line is now trying to turn over heavier line.

As far as backing, if the reel can take backing put it on even if you will never use it. The backing increases the diameter of the reel and will help minimize line coils.

MattBoyer wrote:
jayL wrote:

Jeez Jay. I coulda' sworn I've told you that story 10 times. You and I even fished that hole at the '07 jam. I'll try to bring the video to the jam.

Boyer

LOL. I don't remember things from the jams sometimes, but I do remember fishing the hole.

I think I remember the story, but not sure.

We'll have to review the vid at the jam, but I will start it with the "I wasn't going to release it" disclaimer first.

Boyer

To add my 2 cents if you were fishing futher distances then 20-40 ft cast you could get a light weight steelhead taper or rio grand style line that has an extended wf style head taper to shooting line design not just for for overhead but roll/spey cast.

But for trout, dt are more delicate line because the line is evenly weight the entire length not just the head, ie... no splat to control. This evenly loaded long head is why they are easier to roll or spey cast.

That being said check out rio's new LT (light touch) trout line, which gives the best of both worlds. I comes in either a wf or dt, but the front taper is almost 20+ft long, so you get light touch delicate landings and roll cast ablility in wf or dt line.

As for me when a short cast (15-20ft) is need on creeks i go with dts. For mid to long cast on creeks and rivers i go with standard weight forward, steelhead taper lines or even shooting heads.

jcspey

Back