Wet wading...what date is generally your first time out for the year?

BruceC2C

BruceC2C

Any GravelBar, will do just fine. 365. Fresh&Salt
With all the rain and variable conditions this year,
Yesterday was my first day to wet wade.

Kinda surprised the water temp was a comfortable 82.
Visibility was excellent.

A great a three hours with smallies to hand, eating crawfish patterns, as I have ever enjoyed on the water.
Generally speaking, what date or water temp, do u start to wet wade?

Generally about now. First of June-ish. Some of the colder streams can still cause ball shock though. 😁 Proceed with caution.

Never.

By this time of year there's not a stream I know that doesn't have substantial growth all the way to the stream edge, I'm not walking through that with naked legs. Nor do I enjoy wading with naked legs. The temperature factor is negated by the anxiety factor.

I don't for 2 reasons. First and most importantly I just hate cold water. I'm also always all scraped and cut up. Right now I have at least 5 different scabs on my legs. I'm concerned with infections.

Never. And, I don't plan on ever wet wading. There are rattlers around some of the streams I fish and I like having at least something between me and their fangs, should I ever accidently step on one. I've come close to doing that on a couple of occasions.

I think the slack in my waders would be enough to keep a snakes fangs from getting to me. At least that's what I tell myself.

Right about now I'd say. I generally don't wet wade much and I definitely do not where a lot of bushwhacking is needed because I rather not get poison ivy, ticks, etc.

Usually the only time I wet wade nowadays is when I'm on a boat, and the extent of wet wading is getting in and out.

I don’t wet wade while Trout fishing anymore, as I mostly fish small streams. Both of my Lyme exposures were caused by wet wading (in pants still) while Trout fishing small streams. I’ve never had a tick actually attach itself to me while in waders. And they’re easier to see on waders, and flick off, when needed.

I will still wet wade WW fishing in the Summer, but I won’t walk through the woods or tall grass or anything. I know my put in and take out points in advance and stay within the stream channel while fishing. But yeah, about now is usually the first time I WW fish each year.

About the only time I'll wet wade is when we are float fishing for SMB in my bro-in-law's canoe or if I'm floating solo in my Sea Eagle. I won't do it while trout fishing, especially on smaller water. Too many opportunities for stumble/bumble with potentially serious consequences.

I've probably told this half a dozen times over the years, but I had an online acquaintance who used to post a lot here a number of years ago. He was wet wading Hickory Run part way down between the gate at PA 534 and the river. He stumbled into a sharp stick and gashed an artery in his leg. He said there was a good chance he would have come close to bleeding out had he not been able to twist his shirt into a makeshift tourniquet. Had he been wearing hippers or waders, it would have been a non event.

I'll pass on wet wading, thanks...

By this time of year there's not a stream I know that doesn't have substantial growth all the way to the stream edge, I'm not walking through that with naked legs. Nor do I enjoy wading with naked legs. The temperature factor is negated by the anxiety factor.
You don't need to wade with naked legs to wet wade. Just wear a pair of quick dry pants. I'm wet wading in this picture. No bare legs.

WetWading

Last edited:
I started this year in late April, as the water temp had reached 60 degrees on the Gunpowder Falls, with most of the flow coming over the top of the dam

More typically, I usually start wet wading around Memorial Day and continue until about the end of September.

I really don't like wearing waders unless absolutely necessary, and will always wet wade if the water temp is at at least in the 50's and the air temp is at least 70. (The warmer the air temp, the cooler the water temp I'll put up with.)

I wet waded just the other day.. That mountain stream was COLD!

I treat all clothing with permethrin and wet wade starting about memorial day.

...I really don't like wearing waders unless absolutely necessary, and will always wet wade if the water temp is at at least in the 50's and the air temp is at least 70. (The warmer the air temp, the cooler the water temp I'll put up with.)

I am the same way and will wade in even colder water just to avoid wearing waders. I'd rather deal with thorns, stinging nettle (not fun) and even poison ivy that I got once THROUGH my sweaty wet wading pants than deal with waders.

Not to mention the benefits when nature calls... ;)

I believe the last time I wore waders trout fishing was on big Pine Creek over Memorial Day weekend around 2004 or 2005. I gave up waders in warm water and in my float tube before that although I do wear hippers in the winter when I'm happy to keep the depth I wade to a minimum.

The only time & place I will l wear waders with regularity is when I fish the Letort because I am constantly on my knees or sitting in mud.

I've always found it a lot easier to take off a pair of muddy waders after fishing versus carrying around a change of clothes and trying to find a place TO change into them.

I don't wet wade - ticks being the main reason. Secondly, I know two people who have had bad infections due to open cuts being present on feet and legs. One of which resulted in an amputation.

I'll sweat it out!

In regards to cold water...

I've fished in creeks wearing stocking foot hippers when the water temp was in the high 30's or 40’s and I wasn't moving a whole lot so when I did move, I could barely walk my feet were so numb. In those situations a boot foot wader or hipper is the only way to go.

I've also wet waded the Codorus in early spring when guys in waders stared at me in disbelief because THEY were cold so my point is it's all relative to your comfort level. Even on those days on the Codorus after the initial shock and numbness, I was fine. ;)

Another advantage to wet wading is it gives me a great feeling for the water temps on a trout stream during warmer months BEFORE I double check with my thermometer.

I still remember one day sharing my beer stash with a landowner sitting on his porch before heading into the woods to fish a Schuylkill Country Class A. Class A or not, as soon as I stepped into the stream I knew it was warm. My thermometer confirmed my suspicions so I walked right out to the surprise of the guy on his porch.

I know I would have taken that water temp at some point during the day but if I was wearing waders or hippers and didn’t instantly know it was warm, I doubt it would have been the first thing I did after getting in the water...

Regarding things people fear like ticks or infections...

Can't ticks get on the parts of your body above the water line and what if you have an open cut and you waders leak? ;)

I don't wet wade - ticks being the main reason. Secondly, I know two people who have had bad infections due to open cuts being present on feet and legs. One of which resulted in an amputation.

I'll sweat it out!
I mean no offense by this, but that sounds like paranoia to me. The odds are so slim. Thousands and thousands of people wet wade and swim in rivers all of the time and the vast majority are fine. I'm assuming you don't swim in state park swimming areas of lakes either.

Plus, you probably know of people who died in car wrecks, but you still drive. Driving is a helluva lot more dangerous than wet wading.

the start of june for me. i love wet wading. nice to feel the cool water. even the hottest days it keeps me cool. just wish i could find a great wet wading boot/shoe. i used crocks for a long time but got sick of pebbles, tried the neoprene sock with my normal wading boots but after my trip i thought my skin was gonna drip off my feet. i did get lymes pretty bad in my 20s so i keep bug spray in my pack and apply often. then when i get home i go right into shower. lymes really messed me up

Another advantage to wet wading is it gives me a great feeling for the water temps on a trout stream during warmer months BEFORE I double check with my thermometer.
My hand takes care of that. :)

The first thing I do when I get on a stream is put my hand in the water and guess the temp. I'm always within a couple degrees of the actual temp my thermometer reads.

Back