Western PA fisheries?

P

Pittflyfisherman

Hey Guys I'm moving to Johnstown, PA and I have never fished out there before. I was wondering what good rivers are under an hour drive from there. Any input is appreciated

Plenty of water relatively close... you are in striking distance of the little J, the Yough, Yellow, etc.
There is a link in the in the upper right hand corner... "where to fish" that should give you some ideas. You can easily reach water in the Southwest, South Central, and North Central regions. An hour / hour 1/2 drive can have you on plenty of water.

Thank you very much

David wrote:
There is a link in the in the upper right hand corner... "where to fish" that should give you some ideas.

Agree.
Central PA has a lot of fishing (literally thousands of miles of streams and river fishing opportunities).

Also, don't forget bass fishing. In that area you're close to the branches of the Juniata (Frankstown and Raystown) as well as many other lesser known warm water streams.

3 hours sounds like a lot, but that's all it'll take to get to Erie for you as well. If you haven't tried for steelhead then you should.

I think im gunna head up to the Little J over the weekend and try my luck there. I did some research and thats probably going to be the best bet. Thanks for all the info on here ill post some results

The little j used to have a good white fly hatch right around labor day weekend. Then it disappeared - along with all of the other bugs - in the '95 spill.
Most of the other hatches are back now, and it may be too. I would carry some white flies there.
Otherwise - terrestrials, slate drakes, and BWO's would be good topwater flies to have too

Went to the Little J today. Wasnt able to fish all day but thank you to whoever helped in this forum. the water was pretty warm and not much happening where I was but i managed to catch one
below is a link to a video I took you may need to copy and paste

http://scontent-b.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t50.2886-16/10640406_1459943567612281_1859716827_n.mp4

Congrats and cool video... The water looked low.

Back