West Branch of the Brandywine

Midge22

Midge22

Had a question regarding the WB of the brandywine. I took a walk down the walking path right below chambers lake, and the water looks awesome. the question is with no usgs temp monitoring, does anyone know if that stream becomes too warm? i assume it does, but wanted to ask ahead of time. thanks

Midge22 wrote:
Had a question regarding the WB of the brandywine. I took a walk down the walking path right below chambers lake, and the water looks awesome. the question is with no usgs temp monitoring, does anyone know if that stream becomes too warm? i assume it does, but wanted to ask ahead of time. thanks

For trout? I would say yes. You're not likely to find any or many trout in the WB of the B-Wine this time of year. It's pretty much a warmwater stream.

The West Branch is 3 ring circus during March, April, and May. I usually avoid it at all costs but the smallmouth action can be pretty good in the summer month. If you want to target trout, try the headwaters or many of the tributaries remain cool enough to support some wild trout.

ya i figured it gets beat pretty hard. there are trails to every single "hole". just if those fish had a chance to spread out, that section below the parking lot bridge, could be awesome water. ill have to give it a shot and see what happens

Midge - go on over to Harbor Freight near the Orvis Downingtown and get a $5 dial thermometer. It looks like a meat thermometer and be sure to get one that measures more room temperature ranges. Then you can figure the temps for sure. You may need to calibrate it since it may not be the most accurate device.

Les

I have one, i just havent fished it yet, and wanted to know about yearly type temps that would possibly hold trout throughout the summer. which sounds like it doesnt. but may try my luck with the smallmouth near the park

When there was an FFO stretch on the W Br located somewhere near the upper boundary of what is now Hibernia Park it used to hold brown trout well into the summer. Also had some smallmouths. Don't underrate this stream's ability to hold trout, fishing pressure in spring or not, and don't let others psych you out with respect to streams being fished out. Electrofishing would tell you that "fished out" is more excuse than reality. Water temp...could be a problem, but perhaps not this year. Fished out....Nahh!

USGS says the WB is 17.1C (63F) today - and birch run 14C (57F).

i think you'd find some good fishing early and late.

East branch has been running cold this summer as well. DHALO section still has a few trout, although I couldn't catch them when I was there yesterday morning.

I have not fly fished the WB in the park there. To me it is a warmwater stream but I can believe trout could hold over there.

Back