Weight forward or Double taper?

salmo

Planning on lining my Lamson reel for a 3 Weight Echo Shadow II 10ft. rod. Should I get a weight forward or double taper? I’m inclined toward the weight forward.

I'm pro-DT and admittedly, I've never flipped one of them around when the "front" end gets worn. I should probably do that.

Can you switch ends on a WF like you can with a DT?

No. A WF isn’t a mirror image of itself from both ends like a DT. WF only has additional mass at one end. Rest is just running line.

Where are you guys still finding these DT lines? All I see any more is WF, in floating anyway.

I like, and used to buy nothing but, DT’s for the turnaround capability. Double the use for the same price. For Brookie fishing, I’d actually buy a DT, cut it exactly in half, and only put half of it on my Brookie reel at time. (Just don’t forget to pack your regular reel too when you plan to fish a big stream later that evening. Can’t imagine how I know that…)

Anyway, the last line I bought I went WF because I was finding so little DT options.

I'm stupid but a 10 foot rod to me implies high sticking/tight lining...

If my stupid assumption is correct, does it matter?

If that kind of of fishing was my thing I'd buy a level line and spend my money on cigars or beer... 😉

Planning on lining my Lamson reel for a 3 Weight Echo Shadow II 10ft. rod. Should I get a weight forward or double taper? I’m inclined toward the weight forward.
My guess is that with a 3 weight you'll be boing a lot of small stream/spring creek fishing, mostly with dries (likely small). I'd go weight forward. Save the DT for your 5 or 6 weights. JMO.

No. A WF isn’t a mirror image of itself from both ends like a DT. WF only has additional mass at one end. Rest is just running line.

Where are you guys still finding these DT lines? All I see any more is WF, in floating anyway.

I like, and used to buy nothing but, DT’s for the turnaround capability. Double the use for the same price. For Brookie fishing, I’d actually buy a DT, cut it exactly in half, and only put half of it on my Brookie reel at time. (Just don’t forget to pack your regular reel too when you plan to fish a big stream later that evening. Can’t imagine how I know that…)

Anyway, the last line I bought I went WF because I was finding so little DT options.
I use DT all the time. Last purchase was online. I don't remember the retailer but I had to hunt.

Most of the companies make DT lines few shops stock them. I ordered SA DT at a local fly shop. It came in 3 days later. You can buy direct from some companies.

I recently purchased an SA Mastery series DT line can't remember what website I bought it. I use DT on my nymph rods because I fish mainly mono rigs. Then if i see fish rising at distance where I need a fly line to reach them I switch to a dry fly leader. I also will fish dries on the mono rig if I'm only casting maybe 35 feet or less.

I've fished both a bunch in my life and, truthfully, I've never been able to tell the difference. DT takes up more room on your reel, though. That is noticeable.

I'll buy and fish either.

Reactions: CRB

I ordered my RIO DT floating 3wt Technical Trout fly line through TCO. It was pricey, but there weren't many DT options. I spent more than I wanted to.

Last edited:

Anyway, the last line I bought I went WF because I was finding so little DT optio

Both Cortland and 406 Fly Lines still offer DT lines.

I like DT because you can flip them around and use the other end, saving money.

But also because it seems to me that DT lines turn over more smoothly than WF lines.

Cortland 444 DT

But I don't have a 10 ft 3 wt rod, so don't know what would be best for that.

I used to always use DT lines.
Would typically get a few years use on the one side, then turn it around.
Pretty good deal that way.

When I started using the ridge lines - and more recently, textured - I couldn't find them in DT.
But I liked how they perform enough to switch to WT.

I think someone now does make a textured DT.
However its quite pricey.
I've been buying SA textured WF lines online for a very reasonable $50

I don't use it much anymore, but I have a 10' 3w Recon that I use a 3DT Rio gold line on it and it casts very well.

Note that if you are using a small 3w line size reel a DT will likely be too thick to put much backing under it. I use a 5w size lamson liquid

Back