Weed Guards

guppieguy

guppieguy

After cruising through the 'Musky Flies' Thread and seeing some really awesome flies, one thing caught my eye: weed guards, or lack thereof. Do you guys put weed guards on most of your WW patterns? I never really have, but I'm thinking about starting to. What style do you find has the most successes with weed blockage vs. hookups? And what type/pound test of mono do you use?

After a quick search, I found several different styles here

Just curious.

Last year was my first season fishing any kind of weed guard on bass flies. The only style I used was 20lb mono in the v-shape. Definitely saved me from a few snags in some reedy spots; and as far as hookups, I don't think it mattered at all. When I missed strikes, I'm pretty confident it was my own fault, jumping the gun, troutsetting, etc.

I've been tying more this winter with double, attached weed guards, but haven't fished them yet.

I'm considering either a classic loop going from eye-bend or maybe several pieces of very stiff mono tied at a 45 degee angle in front of the hook point. The only thing I've noticed with the loop is that when i put my flies in my slit foam box it almost always bends the weed guard so that it is no longer functional. Its very hard or impossible to get it to work again. At least this is what I've found

I use weed guards very frequently for WW and salt patterns.

For most flies, a mono loop (I prefer the version with both ends tied in at the eye) works fine. For the big muskie fly, I used the pre-made hooks designed for soft plastics that utilize a wire guard.

Fishidiot, how do you tie in the weed guard? do you capture the mono with your thread or literally tie mono to the shank near the eye to form the loop?

I just tie the mono down with the thread. It does make a difference what size mono (ie diameter and stiffness) you use. For a typical, bass size Clouser Minnow, I like mono of about 30-40lb test. The finished loop is about the size and shape of an almond. Just make sure that the mono guard is large enough to protect the point of the hook but small enough that, when a fish chomps down, that it will flatten and not snag on the point of the hook. Let me know if you're still pondering this and I can upload some pics if needed.
Dave

i use jig hooks and tye em so they fish upside down.

Back