We need rain!

wildtrout2

wildtrout2

It looks like many mountain freestone streams are dropping fast, and warming quickly. Today Kettle was around 61F or 62F, already. There doesn't seem to be any rain in the near future either, except for a couple of spotty light showers tomorrow evening. The next week in the 80s isn't going to help either.

Yes we do!!

Was hoping this summer was going to be like last year's after the rough winter we had. Still hope

Here in the Southeast had been pretty bad as well. Only one substantial rain in about a month in what is normally our rainy season. The eye candy weather girls have been wrong over and over again. I'm supposed to do about a weeks worth of outdoor work soon, so that should cause it to rain....

84 and 85 degrees expected for the weekend up in potter..yikes. (even though the forecast will probably change 10 times during the week)

a tiny Luzerne County tributary was 60 degrees at noon today, it does seem warm

With no leave on the trees, or the trees not fully in leaf, the streams warm faster.
There are wildfire warnings up, if you're camping check to see if there a fire restrictions.

Looks like that tropical system off of SC may just deliver the goods next week for the south and PA. Some forecast models printing out 5" of rain over the next 10 days.

Hence, Jam week.

I sure hope you're right Smike! The conditions have to be just right for that to happen. They said there's a small chance it will come together like it needs to. We'll see.

My solution is to wash your car. Everytime I detail my vehicle it rains.

Swattie87 wrote:
Hence, Jam week.

Thought this the second I read the thread title.

Boyer

Huh. Double post. Weird.

Boyer

wildtrout2 wrote:
It looks like many mountain freestone streams are dropping fast, and warming quickly. Today Kettle was around 61F or 62F, already. There doesn't seem to be any rain in the near future either, except for a couple of spotty light showers tomorrow evening. The next week in the 80s isn't going to help either.

This is exactly why Kettle has almost completely dropped off my list of places I care to fish anymore. Maybe way up in Potter County its nice but that stream is nothing but stockies and is not really a trout stream anymore. Beautiful country but honestly not a trout fishing destination in my opinion.

Its funny though that the limestone streams are still running on the high side.

IMO the wild Trout section of Kettle is realistically reduced to all water upstream of Ole Bull SP. I fished Kettle around Cross Fork in late September a couple of years ago and had a nice day fishing…catching Smallmouth Bass. I’m sure there’s stockies that holdover and the occasional wild Brown in that stretch, and maybe some seasonal wild fish from the tribs, but year-round that’s more a WW section of stream.

That same day we fished upstream of Ole Bull up toward the confluence with Little Kettle and caught a few small wild Browns in that stretch. Upstream of the upper stocking limit on Kettle (Long Run), I still catch mostly wild Brookies.

Dry on this side to fire bans for Wyoming and Susquehanna Counties.Its only may what is going to happen in august.

The National Weather Hydrological prediction site is increasing forecasted rain over our area in the 7 day period.

You can see where the bulk of the precept is (mid west)

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/day1-7.shtml

Given that a Luzerne mountain min-trib hit 60 @ noon yesterday, I wonder what its max temp for the day was? (air temp peaked at 79) As chaz mentioned, there aren't full leaves on the trees now, so that will help later on. I may start wet wading early this year.

guys were wet wading on the brandywine yesterday. eek.

Back