Water Temperatures in Low Flow, Hot Weather Conditions

Looks like a Broadhead Trout to me. Come on Maurice, brush up on your knowledge of slamonids. Lol. Looked like it would have been a nice trout if it was still alive.

Maurice....If your daughter has a friend with private access to Pocono....Work it...I fish 2 large tracts of private property of Pocono and it is simply an amazing wild brown stream.

With regards to the Brodhead. I was catching smallies on the Bhead last evening. 20 minutes after sundown, fish started rising. I figured they were bass taking the mayflies. I switched to a dry fly. 3 browns in less than 10 minutes. Couldn't believe there were still browns in this stretch of Brodhead, right in town with no shade canopy. All browns had red on adipose but it wasn't a vibrant red. Fins were pristine as well. I'd say spring stocker but to withstand 80 degree water for over a month....Maybe wild. There is a spring nearby but it is 1/2 mile upstream of where I fished.

I remember when you fished the Bhead last year, you commented how you couldn't believe the trout were so active/healthy in the warm water. This year is even worse and the fish are still there. Rising and healthy looking.

Matt, IIRC I was catching bows. and I think it was near 70 degrees at dark.

I've found through stream temp analyses that on our home water York the brown trout will stay put in their comfortable lies until the stream temps reach 76 then they will seek thermal refuge.

I've surveyed temps in the 80s in the main stem and found a pod of 40-50 trout in a trib mouth that was 72. sitting ducks. Days later when the main stem was 76 the trout were gone. (redistributed to comfort lies in main crik). next week main stem in 80s, back in the thermal refuge.

Now this doesn't mean you should be fishing for them.... just an observation.

Well, the wild Browns were doing quite well today in York County's most southeastern wild trout stream today. Not only that, but a much higher density than we found in the early or mid-1990's.

There all doing well around this neck of the woods. Any ideas of why the area has seen such an improvement or just natural cycles?

Stream side vegetation improvements by the local Muddycreek TU organization.

acristickid wrote:

Not in the MC watershed.

Maurice wrote:
acristickid wrote:

Not in the MC watershed.

Mike and Maurice, what changes do you think occurred that led to the stream having a greater wild trout population?

Mikes stream is not in the muddy creek watershed. It is a quite remote stream. I might have to survey it myself again maybe this weekend ;-)

I would like to know what's changing tho since picking up Blymire, Orson, and Leibs as Class A after years of only having the Codorus, Rambo and its UNT. Or like the tucquan in Lancaster.

Maybe the browns are just adapting like them gold fish in Australia ;-)

Back