Water Temperatures in Low Flow, Hot Weather Conditions

The yough is 57 degrees coming out of the dam this morning.

Troutbert, yeah those streams usually fair quite well for the summer. Generally under normal summer conditions lower Kish is like 68 or so, so I feel that 72 under such heat and drought is pretty good.

This point from Mike must be underscored and should appear in every discussion on water temps IMO.

"At that point the percentage of the RT that die throughout a late spring and summer due to temp stress alone is directly related to the number of 15 minute periods per month that the water temp exceeds 68 deg F. It does not matter if the temp drops below 68 deg each night, as the tally continues the next day once the temp rises above 68 again. The 15 min periods above 68 deg accumulate daily through the end of the month ."

Likewise, the importance of temperature changes away from what the local trout have acclimated too should be considered. I had a longer description of my arguments on this in another thread making the case that 68 degrees on one stream is not equivalent to 68 degrees on another.

The point I believe Mike is trying to make, as am I, is Just because an angler can find a few hours where the water drops below 70 degrees doesn't mean he/she should fish.

It is unfortunate one of the significant hatches in the area is the trico, which occurs during the middle of summer. Its also unfortunate that one of the most popular stretches of spring creek to fish the trico hatch occurs on the warmest section.

Codorus creek-York county below lake Marburg tail out was 52 degrees on Saturday

Any one know what the temp on Penns is? Does any part of that stay cool enough to fish year round?

Guaranteed Penns is too warm. Leave it alone for a month or so.

I totally agree that there is variation and different maximum temperatures that the same species on a regular fish can handle based on what they're used to. Brown trout are a highly adaptive species and that is why they are the most widely spread trout in the world today. If temps don't stray too terribly far from their home setting's range, within reason, of course, then they can probably tolerate a lot more than people give them credit for.

acristickid wrote:

Perfect. USGS shows its been peeking around the low 60*s at Ramcat and and almost 70* at Ohiopyle. Im playing hooky friday and heading down that way for the day. I imagine itll stay in the mid 60*s around the halfway point between Ramcat and Ohiopyle eh?

Penn's just got to back to around normal flow for the year still to warm to fish for me.

I'll hold off, been itching to go out there. Any one know a site that posts reliable stream temps for Penns?

1hook wrote:
I'll hold off, been itching to go out there. Any one know a site that posts reliable stream temps for Penns?

Maybe call Jonas at the Feathered Hook in Coburn. I've never been to the Feathered Hook but I met Jonas a few years back. He should know as it is basically his livelihood as far as I know. He seems like a nice yet eccentric fellow the 10 or so times I've talked with him.

steveo27 wrote:
acristickid wrote:

Perfect. USGS shows its been peeking around the low 60*s at Ramcat and and almost 70* at Ohiopyle. Im playing hooky friday and heading down that way for the day. I imagine itll stay in the mid 60*s around the halfway point between Ramcat and Ohiopyle eh?

With the low flow rates - maybe not.
I fished it on a hot day a few weeks ago - and read 68 degrees at bidwell station, which is 3-4 miles down from ramcat. The flow that day was only about 700 cfs, however.
We moved upstream of Ramcat, and had water temps in the high 50's

God [d]love[/d] help anyone that wants to fish for any species during a heat wave like this.

Don't think about Penns. Water temps have been topping 78 degrees every day on the lower end. I have heard reports of above 80 degrees around Weikert. Super low flows and unfit water temps throughout the system!

Our temperature studies on Perkiomen Creek, using a thermograph, showed the highest temps were between 6 and 7. It didn't seem to matter where the thermographs were placed along the stream.
Unfortunately summer storms often warm streams before the water eventually cools down. It takes a couple of hours of steady rain to cool water temperatures in a stream, the reason is, the bare ground roads open fields are hotter then the air.
The single most important thing we can do for trout streams is to plant native trees and shrubs in the riparian zone.

I wanted to go out over the weekend. 4runner loaded and ready to go. Hot, hot,hot. Stopped at Gander and Field&Stream instead. What a catch! Super sales right now and got 90+ of my Christmas shopping done! Saving it for a little cooler temps.
My Wife and I where on Laurel Hill last wkend, 2pm. Hot! and nothing happening. We came though a long shallow stretch and saw a dozen+ plus RB stacked up and sitting in 4" of water in the baking sun along the bank. Sure enough, it was a cool seep coming out right there. Kind of says it all.

Accuweather is calling for a very wet next several days, possibly up to 2" of rain for Northeast in general, as well as a break in temps (before going right back up into the 90s next week). That rain will be a great help, though...if the entire region actually gets it!

Raining most of the day here in Pittsburgh

Yep. Im heading to Ohiopyle after work to meet up with my buddies who are currently out hiking the LHHT in the rain.

Big Spring yesterday (7/27) was 54 degrees.

Back