Warmwater stream survey rep't: Conestoga R, Crum Ck, Cocalico Ck

M

Mike

New web report from Fisheries Management Area 6:
http://fishandboat.com/images/reports/2013bio/6x12_19wwstreams.htm

Looks like crum creek needs some TLC

Were the sections surveyed on Conestoga Creek within the section stocked with tiger muskies (I'm assuming that Conestoga still gets some fingerlings)? If so, would you have expected to see/handle some of them?

Also, good to see strong populations of Rockies and RBS. There's a common view among WW anglers here in the SC that these species have become rare, esp in the lower Susky watershed. While I do think they're rare in the river proper, I can say from experience that they're thriving in the lower Juniata and many of the WW streams I fish in summer that are in the Susky watershed have strong numbers of them too. The rockies tend to be locally abundant but RBS are often widespread. I saw very strong spawning activity of RBS earlier this year - good news as they're among my favorite fish.

The stretch of the Conestoga that is stocked with tiger muskies, and has been for a couple of decades, is the stretch from Cocalico Creek's confluence downstream to the Lancaster Water Works Dam, which is just below Rt 30. Despite this, most of the catches I have heard about have come from the pool directly below the dam and near the Lancaster sewage treatment plant located well downstream at the southern end of town. I have recently learned of fish being caught directly from the stocked stretch, however. In general, that stretch receives 700 tigers every other year and occasional bonuses in between.

This paragraph (from the report) just about sums up my thoughts on much of the access on the Conestoga. It is best fished from a watercraft...

"While fishing access on some warmwater streams is limited, kayakers and canoeists can navigate segments of the Conestoga River. As always, with safety in mind and before setting out, kayakers and canoeists should familiarize themselves with the waters that they intend to float, including the location of dams, private lane bridges that may not be passable without portaging and access points facilitating take-out and put-in."

Very interesting. I've never caught a rock bass or a RBS - I now have some pointers of where to go next summer.

Interesting that American Eels are making it through the fish elevators.

Good stuff mike. Thanks for the report

Back