Warm Water Mix - Lebanon County

Swattie87

Swattie87

Worked out of Harrisburg today so I decided to hit the Swatara in Lebanon County on my way home, high water or not! I fished the mouth of a smaller warm water trib that empties into the Swatara on the calm side of the main stream in this stretch. The channel on the opposite bank was high, stained, and still ripping, but I could safely wade the calm shallow side of this stretch.

I planned on working up the trib a bit but I had a good bit of success in the hole that is formed at the mouth, and my trip got cut short by the impending rain/storms. Caught a couple good sized Rock Bass along with a few small Redbreasts and Fallfish. Didn't take a water temp, but the water still felt cool for this time of year...guessing mid 60's. Caught everything on a small black BH Bugger. The Rock Bass and Redbreasts hit on the pauses in between the strips, and the Fallfish hit immediately when the fly hit the water. The Fallfish (as usual for them) were in shallower, heavier current and were rising to something very small...some type of midge I assume. Only got to to spend 45 minutes on the stream, but a great stop on the way home. Very much looking forward to this summer's fishing.

A couple pics...

Attachments

• 06-16-11 001.jpg
    06-16-11 001.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 06-16-11 002.jpg
    06-16-11 002.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 3
Some of my favorite fish there - yuh gotta love summer. :)

NICE!

Dear swattie,

Dude I love "sunnies."

I live pretty close to the "Swattie" and I'd like to learn more about it as I have never fished it.

If you'd be interested in showing me around a bit or making a suggestion or two as to where to start exploring it on my own I'd appreciate it and I'll find a way to return the favor.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Tim, a few of us have talked about a "Swattie Jam" in the past. I think in a week or so when I get my schedule for the next month I'm gonna post a date and see who's into it.

Boyer

see, are not panfish on the fly a good time?

i would certainly be into a flyfishing outting on the creek.

Tim - Sure thing...either at a mini Swatara jam or otherwise. I know just about all of the stream from the state park on down. I'm still a bit of a greenhorn with the fly rod so just getting to fish with you would reciprocate well enough.

I'd certainly be in for a group get together on the Swattie as well. Weekends for me are pretty busy until mid July or so but settle down after that. I don't really like to float fish, but I'd be glad to show a wade group around and help portage the floaters with my truck.

Brian - Those sunnies are an absolute blast. I love to see that flash of orange on the line.

I'm also intrigued by the Swattie and would love to float it from my 'yak. I know there are some decent sized muskies in there as well. If a float doesn't work, I'd be in for some wade fishing. For being a local warmwater fishery, I'm under the impression that the Swattie has a lot to offer!

Dear Matt,

OK you pick a date one weekend in July or August except when I'm down at the beach from 8/6 to 8/13 and I'll be there.

To swattie and Brain and everyone else, if you want to meet up sometime sooner let me know and I'll be there too.

I've driven past the Swatara dozens of times in search of other places to go. It's about time I discovered what's in my back yard.

Regards,

there is alot of access to this creek, and the fishing can be ok around them, but the really good stuff is away from the access.
some times it's just a matter of a few handful couple of yards other times its a boat ride or decent hike.
i'am eagerly awaiting both the weather and the creek to calm down.

Tim, check your PM's...in case you wanted to get a head start on your learning curve for the Swattie. First time using the PM feature but I think I got it right. Let me know if it's not there.

Dear swattie,

I got your PM thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying to decide if I want to fish the Swatara today or give Shermans Creek a try?

I've never fished either of them but I've heard good things about both.

Regards,

Hope you get into them either way Tim. The Swatara is still borderline too high for my taste, but you should be ok if you're careful and stay out of the main channel. The creek used to serve as part of the Union Canal and in many locations there is still a very pronounced deeper channel on one side of the stream and shallower slack water on the other.

The Swattie is a stone's throw from my house and I still haven't fished it. Need to float it one of these days.

What is a good 4-6 hours float for bass/muskie on the fly?

Sanctuary - For Bass/Muskie I'd recommend looking more in the lower reaches of the creek. From Hershey downstream or so. You'll find panfish and smaller bass along it's entire length, but I've generally found the larger fish to be further downstream.

At summer levels she's a pretty slow float especially in her lower reaches unless you're an active paddler. Check out this link for access points...there's plenty of them and you should be able to map out a float with a couple different potential takeouts depending on the speed of the float. Just watch out for the dams...there's one just upstream of Jonestown, one just downstream of Rt. 39 near Hershey, and one upstream of Middletown. May be a couple other smaller ones too I'm not remembering. The old Duke Street Dam in Hummelstown isn't there anymore. Just a pile of rocks with an open channel with some class I/small class II ish rapids.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/watertrails/swatara/trailguide.htm

Back