wanted: simple green drakes

This stuff is foam sheeting. I know it floats well, doesn't twist leaders unless they are to small. I get it from a fly shop in the Sunbury area. I can put you in touch if you need info on buying the foam.

I fished a lot of drake hatches on a lot of PA freestones never using anything more complex than a Gray Fox Variant.

http://www.gallinago.x.se/watershed/basecamp/000011.html

It's never let me down.

But as some of the other guys were saying, limestone drakes are a different story.

Usually, when the drakes are on the limestones, I fish a sulfur...:)

I go to that fly shop all the time. It is called "Fly Tyers Heaven" in Sunbury off 61. He makes preformed wings and apprently he sells just the foam too. I didn't know that.

BJ

The easiest pattern I have ever seen for the green drake is to simply tie in 3 hackle tips for a tail, one brown and two grizzly. Palmer the three feathers to right behind the eye. Tie off, whip finish and that's it. Tied on a 10 or 8 2x long. Although, I have never used them during the drake hatch as someone taught me this fly a couple years ago and I haven't been able to make it home since learning it, it is extremely easy to tie and while not as pretty as some other patterns looks "buggy" enough to catch fish.

I'm not sure I understand this simple pattern: are the hackle tips "tied in as a tail" the same ones that are palmered forward or are these 3 different feathers?

Is there a dubbing used for the body? If so, I presume it is cream-colored. If not, what then?

Sounds a bit like a #10 griffith's gnat. :-o

Sounds like a Bivisible with a tail and only in one color instead of two...would that make it a "visible"?

Yeah the same ones tied in as a tail are palmered forward. No dubbing used. I guess palmered isn't a great term because you need to make the wraps much tighter than you would normally palmer a fly. Like I said I have never used it, but an older gentlemen that taught it to me said that is all he uses for the drake hatch. It is definitely much darker looking than an eastern green drake. I'm assuming you can clip the bottom portion of the hackle to make it ride a little lower. He said he also uses oversized hackle as well.

Back