Waistpack and deep wading

I have the Fishpond Waterdance pack. If I am going to be in water over my waist I just wear it like a chest pack....so far so good that way.

Boy that Sage is a special kind of expensive. I like the concept of the large waist pack but know perfectly well I would fill it to capacity and it would constantly be falling down. That is another problem of attaching a net to a waist bag, the weight. I am pretty happy about the alternate attachment method discussed in another thread. The one thing I don't like about the water proof Simms is the lack of water bottle holders. I solved that yesterday by getting a fishpond bottle holder that attaches to the belt.

Why are you wading that deep? If your that deep in a river your asking for trouble. Cast farther and mend better or forget the fish.

Agree with Bruno.

I go over my waist occasionally in a crossing or what have you, but I almost never have to stand waist deep to fish in flowing water. That's just common wading safety IMO.

For lakes and ponds, a fly box, a spool of tippet, and some hemos is enough.

I don't see this as a real problem, honestly.

I don't go chest deep either, but wearing a waist bag that hangs down, you frequently get in that deep. That results in the issues OP presents. Having said that, the Simms bag holds up well to this level of exposure, but I don't think any bag is going to be happy with full immersion for extended periods. Additionally, that thing would float like a blimp!

BrandonMH wrote:
What about a sling pack? I think I remember someone talking about those once before. You can slide them from back to front when you need to get things out and can slide it higher up near your shoulder for deeper water.

i have the original orbis sling pack, if you need to carry stuff its the best answer i've found.

gfen wrote:
BrandonMH wrote:
What about a sling pack? I think I remember someone talking about those once before. You can slide them from back to front when you need to get things out and can slide it higher up near your shoulder for deeper water.

i have the original orbis sling pack, if you need to carry stuff its the best answer i've found.

yep

gfen wrote:
BrandonMH wrote:

I hate myself for not buying the old one when on clearance. When they change the color back to something reasonable and clear current uglies out I will get one of those.

Mine was practically free thanks to the free gift card at orvis PM's grand opening + 25 off 50 coupon.

I love it.

jayL wrote:
Mine was practically free thanks to the free gift card at orvis PM's grand opening + 25 off 50 coupon.

I love it.

I hate myself for not going to the grand opening.

I gave Orvis a tithe for some time, yet never received jack from them. Same for Cabelas, when a 10% coupon came in the mail last week, I had to use it because I felt special.

gfen wrote:

I gave Orvis a tithe for some time, yet never received jack from them. Same for Cabelas, when a 10% coupon came in the mail last week, I had to use it because I felt special.

Where are you buying? Corporate store visits seem to spawn the occasional $25 off $50 for store visits. One time there was Orvis affiliate shops and I got $25 off $50 for TCO and whatever that shop is in Allentown that destroys Abel reels. But that was once. I don't know that buying stuff from Orvis online generates coupons.

I got that 10% off cabelas but don't feel too special cause they sent some other coupon I was able to stack for ultimate win (on my $5 purchase).

Did I not request your special coupin guidance? Why do you forsake me.

Anyways, no corporate store here. Online and the Abel wrackers.

Moving on, sling pack is good mix between ability to carry junk without downsides of vest or silliness of chest pack.

I started getting really bad shoulder and neck pain from my vest. Hasn't happened yet with the sling, and I find chest packs to be miserably clunky.

do you use the gut strap? it really helps distribute the load even further.

I usually do not, until I bend over and it slides around and hits me in the chin.

For the duration of the outing, it's usually secured.

jdaddy wrote:
I don't go chest deep either, but wearing a waist bag that hangs down, you frequently get in that deep. That results in the issues OP presents. Having said that, the Simms bag holds up well to this level of exposure, but I don't think any bag is going to be happy with full immersion for extended periods. Additionally, that thing would float like a blimp!

Yeah, to be clear, I'm not talking about standing in chest deep water and fishing for a half hour (although I did ask about extended submersions).

The submerison question was mostly in regards to crossings.

When fishing, I'm crouched or on my knees a lot. As a result, the bottom of my current simms waist pack will often be resting in the water. As it does, it pretty much wicks up water like a sponge.

Maybe a sling is the answer, as I'm spinning the waist pack around anyway.

I am kicking myself for not getting that sling pack when it was on sale. The green color was nice, I do like blue but that is just weird looking, that color scheme. I did like the mag will & joe bags, but my luck, I'd snag it on a branch and lose things. Does the Bean make a sling pack? Might have to check that now. Want to head down there and check reels one of these days, but got to attach the awning to the camper before we go out for Labor day, and wire up the brake controller for the camper in my truck.

BrandonMH wrote:
I am kicking myself for not getting that sling pack when it was on sale. The green color was nice, I do like blue but that is just weird looking, that color scheme. I did like the mag will & joe bags, but my luck, I'd snag it on a branch and lose things. Does the Bean make a sling pack? Might have to check that now. Want to head down there and check reels one of these days, but got to attach the awning to the camper before we go out for Labor day, and wire up the brake controller for the camper in my truck.

Bean = no, not really. If you are going to to the local store, meh. I really like bean but the store is just not inspiring. Unless Becker or HA is there. Then it is a party!

Good luck with brake lights. God has cursed my family name when it comes to trailer lights. Seriously. Why is it so hard?

Actually, they'll have a complete line of their branded rods and reels, they have all the Quests in stock. However, its not much more inspiring, as he says.

If you go n a weekend, look by the casting pond. If he's short and stout with a molester 'stace, its HA. If he's tall and looks like a transgender, its Becker.

Back