Waist Packs

jdaddy wrote:
"Gfens solution" sounds like a narcotic mixture of roofies and silicon.

Honestly, no, coz the wading belt seperate was more... However, for those of you with one, the flexibility this gives you is pretty all encompassing, and the add on pricing is fantastic. Although surplus belts that look quite similar to the extra wide backsaver styles are out there, and I suspect equal to anything Fishpond sold me at a fraction of the price.

They're also subdued colours, durable as hell, and have little holes in the bottom so the water you just went over your waist into just pours right back out.

Made for dudes slogging around in swamps and being shot at, eh.

I've also got a set of surplus suspenders that helps with easing back weight if I put the water bottle and staff onboard. I've been meaning to find a small, wholly waterproof solution, for strapping a camera or lunch to that if I need it. No doubt a couple of carabiners and another surplus bag'll do me quite well. If I were flush, I'd buy the purpose-made surplus Camelbak suspenders, but I'm cheaper than that.

I like the idea of flexibility. Carry as little as you need, it'll be easier, add on the ability to carry more stuff as required.

Anyone wants better pictures, I could provide them. I'm still refining this, but I'm comfortable in the direction its going.

I got the Kennebec Lumbar Pack from LLBean which has been a nice surprise. I especially like the stuctured "frame" so the pouches do not sag

I like mine for short trips without deep wading.

if i have to carry rain gear, or extra layers for weather changes or lunch then i go with a backpack and stick my fly boxes in my wader pouch.

I use two different waist packs for my native/carp outings.

one is an orvis waist pack from the early '90's, with three separate compartments. usually use one, unless I am carrying water in. I simply swing the compartment(s) to my a$s side when fishing.

the other is for boozing trips, one compartment, which has more room, and two spots for drinks, however it is bulky material.

Back