Waist Packs

GRP

GRP

Anybody wear a waist pack to store their gear in on stream? I've been checking them out, and not sure what to think. On one hand it would be nice to have that stuff around my waist, and be able to slide it around to the back and out of the way (?), when fishing, then flip it around to the front if I needed to search for something. Would also be nice to not have the chest pack blocking my sight down around my feet, my stomach does a good enough of hindering my vision. Any other pros/cons to using the waist pack versus chest pack?

I use one and love it. I've minimized the stuff I carry so it call all fit into a pretty small pack. I will still carry an extra box in a shirt or coat pocket if needed but basically everything else is in my pack. You'll notice a big difference at the end of the day when you're shoulders aren't sore from a vest. Plus you can position it anywhere around your waist to get it out of your way. I had a chest pack but it was too obtrusive and I got my line caught in it all the time.

Moving towards that concept.
I went from a vest to an Orvis sling pack to just a lanyard over the summer.

This winter and spring I've been using pouches added to my wading belt. Its a work in progress, but I'm pretty happy with it.

I wear one on all day deep woods, small stream trips. I mostly wear it because I often take a lunch and drinks on those trips, and since I don't wear a vest, I don't have another good way to store that kind of stuff. I also carry leader materials on those trips rather than just tippet like normal.

Advantages:

I can carry more than usual for those times when going back to the car isn't an option.

I can carry heavy stuff, such as drinks, without putting weight on my back.

It adds some back support, and is comfortable.

Disadvantages:

Can't wade deep. If you expect to go over the waste, its a no-no.

It's another thing to carry around that you usually don't need.

I've been using one for the past two years now. However I found when carrying it around my backside that sliding it around to the front was kind of a pain. My pack has a waistband and a shoulder strap so by wearing it over my shoulder and strapping it around the waist is a better option for me. It rides on my side that way so no more pulling it around from the back. It has two water bottle holders, one big compartment, and two smaller ones. Space is more limited than my vest so I'm just learning to adjust and carry less. Way easier on my back.

I prefer the waistpack and have cut down on the extras. The model I have has two water bottle holders and plenty of room for what I NEED and a snack.

I have been using the same one for 6 years. It is an LL Bean from their hiking collection. Large enough to hold all the gear I need and then some. It has water bottle pockets, 3 compartments. The largest can handle a lunch/snacks with ease. When I wade deep I just switch it and wear it like a sling pack. Will NOT switch back to a vest or chest pack.

Going to my local fly shop today at lunch to check them out and see how it would fit my needs. Thanks for the responses everyone.

Not to take business away from fly shops but you might want to check out any outdoor store. I got mine at the Columbia outlet store for $5.

The upside, most packs have a water bottle holder and everything is out of the way. You don't have anything obstructing casting motion or seeing your feet. The down side, you can't fit rain gear or lunch. If your short (I'm 5' 6") you have to think about the bottom of the pack dipping in the water. Only good way to carry a net is to stick it in the belt at the small of your back. Waist packs are perfect for a half day on the water.

i like gear bags myself. Over the shoulder, spin to your back when done messing with gear and can hold a net etc... They also sit higher. Many different iterations of them. I use a hardy bag:
http://www.mosquitocreek.com/Hardy-Fishing-Gear-Bags/products/2521/

I also have a very cheap Shakespeare bag that is the same idea.

However, seems many people on here also use the orvis sling packs, same sort of idea.

I like the idea of shoulder and waist bags because you can take them off so quickly and just set them down on the bank but favor shoulder bags because they sit a bit higher out of the water.

I have one that converts to a chest pack for deeper wading. Like it a lot. this one

Attachments

• waterdance.jpg
    waterdance.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 4
Thanks Tom, that is one of the packs I am looking at. Anyone use any of the new Simms waist packs, specifically the Headwater Waist Pack?

I agree, stay away from the FF gear. Hunting stuff is a lot cheaper and works just fine for this.

sometimes camera bags work really well too and are a lot cheaper.

tobewan77 wrote:
sometimes camera bags work really well too and are a lot cheaper.

Military surplus, even cheaper.

Attachments

• IMGP0873.jpg
    IMGP0873.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 3
GRP wrote:
Thanks Tom, that is one of the packs I am looking at. Anyone use any of the new Simms waist packs, specifically the Headwater Waist Pack?

It's ok I have the chest pack. I currently use and like this much better.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/dry_creek_chest_hip_pack.html

Its pretty damn water tight imo.

Really, $100 for a waist pack?

For a waist pack, IMO there's no reason to spend north of $30. And I'm guessing gfen's solution is well less than that.

This is pretty much what I wear, though mine is camo, and I can't find the camo one right now....

http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2667649

Like I would ever pay more than 50% of retail for Simms . . .

It is a great bag though. I like that it is tolerates water well as I tend to wade too deep. It also makes a nice flotation device.

"Gfens solution" sounds like a narcotic mixture of roofies and silicon.

Back