Wading Boots

How often do you fish? Do you walk a lot?

Patagonia boots are super light, which is why I prefer them. Don't know the price range of the lower end models, though. I may go for Simms next time around.

Ended up buying the Redington Skagit. Saw some good reviews on them and got them for $105 total. I'll be sure to put them through the paces in Alaska in a few months and give a review here.

Well I put the Redington Skagit boots to the test in Alaska a few weeks ago. I had fished maybe a few days before then. First off they're fairly comfortable in terms of wading boots. When you're wearing waders with neoprene booties I don't think you can really find extreme comfort. These tie fairly tight, and provide good ankle support. You can see the walnut shells in the sole of the boot. Not sure I could tell a difference between that and other soles, but if they say it does then good for them. I was wading a few streams with other guys but most of them had spikes so it was tough to see how wading was compared to others. I felt pretty comfortable on slippery surfaces but would still give the grip maybe around a 7.5 out of 10. I don't see any wear and tear on it yet but I'll need to wear them a bit more to see if anything falls apart. I think next to grip, the failure of things like the soles fall off, strings break, seams come apart, etc are just as important. Who cares if the soles grip if the shoes themselves fall apart. For the price overall I paid for these boots I would say they are worth the money.

Back