Wading Boots

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

This seems to be the one piece of equipment I can't seem to get right. I'm looking to get a decent quality pair of boots around $125 and under. Rubber sole. It seems many of the boots I've looked at online have issues of the sole coming undone. I've had this happen a few times and just fix it with epoxy. Something of better quality would be nice. Any suggestions?

This one has some good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Redington-Skagit-Wading-Sticky-Rubber/product-reviews/B004V990XE/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_hist_3?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent&filterByStar=three_star&pageNumber=1

This is a tough one... And one of the few situations where I don't think spending more gets you much more. I usually just try to find old model boots on closeout. I've had decent luck in that price range with weinbrenners, danners, and chotas. All three are studded felt though so not what you're looking for.

On a side note, and I'm not trying to change the direction of this thread, wading boots are the one piece of FF gear where I cannot find any currently produced in the USA.

Spend $25 more, get Simms Freestone's and be done with it.

I agree with PennKev. Best bang for your buck in that price range....

Cabelas Ultralight - most comfortable pair of wading boots I've ever worn. Drawback is longevity, about a year of heavy fishing and the sides blow out (rather than footbed coming loose). But, currently on sale for $55.99. Buy 2 pair. And 2 years in your price range is about typical. There's not a ton of ankle support though, but I never liked too much ankle support anyway.

Korkers Redside and Riverking are both on sale at Cabela's right now for $140. They have the interchangeable sole system.

Simms Freestone in the same price range.

Patagonia Ultra-Lights - ****'s Sporting Goods for $99.

Field & Stream Pro Sticky Rubber - Also at ****'s for $99

Redington Skagit River - $119 at ****'s

Chota Lost Creek - $129. I've always loved Chota stuff but never tried this particular boot, but it looks good. My experience with the brand was with STL's, which come in at more like $160. But they were probably my favorite pair of boots I've ever had, and lasted a long time. Better than my Simms guide boots I'm wearing today.

Thanks guys. Any other personal reviews of boots you own would be great. Leaning towards the Simms right now.

I got my Simms Freestones(the older model.....which was around $110 I believe before they upgraded) in July of 2014, and they are still doing well after extremely heavy usage. The felt bottoms are pretty worn down, and they're starting to blow out just a little bit along the sides in some spots but they're still very usable. Might need to replace the laces too, but I see them lasting me through mid-summer. Depending on how much you fish(and amount of walking per trip), you may get more than 2 years out of them.

My brother has been using the newer Freestones since early Fall and they're still looking good.

I had the Korkers Redsides before the Simms. Didn't even last a full year before they were unusable.......not even as a backup pair. Blew out on the sides quick, and a couple of the interchangeable soles are either stuck in muck or in the gulf of Mexico by now....

I've read a few reviews about the Redington skagit river wading boots.
And they're supposed to have the best grip of all the sticky rubber soles.
Redington claims that they're impregnated with crushed walnut shells, and that this really helps with traction.
Has anyone out there tried these boots?

The only brands of wading shoes I have purchased that I thought I got my money's worth have been Bean's (always), Korkers (mid price models and up..) and Cabela's (low end, but held up as good as most other's mid-range shoes).

Well, Weinbrenner's too. But they're out of the wading shoe biz.

Everything else I've ever bought is down there in Wal-Mart Hamilton Beach toaster land in terms of my experience/expectations. Of these also-rans and losers, I have to say that Orvis and Simms have been the most disappointing. I had a pair of Freestones. One pair.

You live and learn....

I know its a higher price range but the korkers devils canyon makes up for it's higher price. They retail for around $200. I have had patagonia, , chota, orvis boots all before corkers and I won't switch back. Value, durability, grip and an interchangeable sole makes it the best value in mho. All boots have flaws and will not last forever, but to me these are the best on the market. The only thing I cant speak to is getting two entry level boots and switch them out. I need alot of traction in and off the stream and don't think it would work for me. If I were fishing streams where traction is not a priority maybe I would feel different.

I was in a similar situation with boots. Finally upgraded my waders and needed a pair of boots to go with them. Was still wearing my boot foot breathables and they killed my feet. That said, I knew I wanted something that was going to be comfortable and would last. Granted any quality wading boot was going to be an upgrade at this point.

I was looking to stay under 200. Spent the weekend reading all the reviews I could find on various boots. Finally decided I wanted to try a couple of the Simms models based on what guys were saying about the and how long they tend to last. Went to TCO in Bryn Mawr so I could try them on and get a feel for them. Tried most of the Simms boots on, the upper end Patagonia boot and the Orvis Encounter. Ended up going with the Simms Headwaters boot. Fit the best and seemed the most comfortable to me. I'd definitely recommend getting your feet in some boots before you decide.

I'm wearing a pair of Korkers Devil Canyon for the first time this season.

They're replacing a pair of Korkers Chromes that lasted me 6+ seasons, with 3 sets of sole replacements.

Those replaced a pair of Korkers Redsides that lasted me 2 seasons.

Obviously they've gained some brand loyalty with me.

Any time the brand is mentioned, there's almost always someone with a negative experience with the soles or the boa laces or both. Since other major brands have adopted boas, the lace complaints have oddly lessened, but for those with sole issues, I'd ask if they were using the older or newer style. With my Redsides, I occasionally would have issue (but never a lost sole) in very deep thick mud. With the Chromes and DCs, I've never once had them budge at all, and that's including two seasons of duck hunting in sometimes waist deep mud with the Chromes (after which I got a pair of neos for warmth and durability for waterfowling).

In fact, the soles stay in so good that when I wanted to put my current soles on the DCs from the Chromes, I had a hell of a time getting them off the boot.

So while I certainly wouldn't say that the Korkers are better than the other boots out there (I wouldn't know, as I haven't put them all through a decade of abuse), Korkers is definitely on the short list of brands that I would recommend without any hesitation.

Their customer service rocks too. When my Chromes finally started getting to the point of being unusable, I contacted them for recommendations on how to repair them. While they could only make general suggestions, they did offer me a great deal on a new pair, if I decided to stay with Korkers. I'd have probably gotten the DCs anyway, but getting them at a significant discount off MSRP certainly didn't hurt either.

Korkers - Boa dial broke the first time I put the boots on (don't remember the model, but v3 soles). V3 soles have frayed and pulled off from the plastic base. I don't change soles - sounds like a good idea, but in reality, I fish with studded rubber soles all the time, so it's a bit of a gimmick IMHO. KGB boots (also V3 soles) - the knob that the soles attach to on the back of the boot pulled out of both of the boots. Lost a sole because of that (nothing like throwing a $20 bill on the forest floor somewhere). Standard problem that plagues all wading boots - cheap laces, which ripped on my KGB before the knobs pulled out the back. Agree that their customer service is very good, BUT, I've had to use it too much, so my next pair will be from another manufacturer.

PennKev wrote:
Spend $25 more, get Simms Freestone's and be done with it.
I agree. Quit messing around with inferior products and get a pair of Simms.

Heh, salmonid, once again, we've had fully opposite experiences in wading boots.

I got 6+ seasons out of my Chromes, and never once ever had an issue with the Boas, heel studs, or stitching. The soles I replaced all lasted at least 1.5 seasons of hard use, and usually still had some life in them when I replaced them. Never had a sole fall apart on me ever. Even at the end of my Chromes' life, the uppers were just falling apart from weathering more than anything, and they were starting to pull up from the rubber sole (the part the replaceable soles attach to). Used some liquid fusion on them and they were good for another full season, but by this winter, they were getting to the point that it was ridiculous to keep patching them up.

I bought 4 pairs of Simms felt soles when they cleared them out going to all synthetics. I think I paid about $50 a pair. This way I could leave a pair at the cabin, in the truck, and two spares. So I thought I was set for life. (This also allows me to rotate as to get them dry and minimize transporting invasives.)

Since some of the invasives are showing up on waters I fish I figured I'd buy one pair of rubber soles to wear on those streams. Great thread. I've been very happy with Simms boots so I'll go with them.

I have issues with Korkers, early models. I have since bought high end Orvis and have not had a problem with them. I also bought a pair of LL Bean Grey Ghost and like them a lot.

I really like the zip up brogues orvis has or had. Not sure if they make them anymore. I got felts and when the felts started to come unglued i put kold kutter screws in and got another couple seasons out of them. Ive had them for at least 5 years and i fish hard.

Found some new old stock Simms Headwaters boots, the old model. How's the fit on Simms... fit to regular shoe size?

ryguyfi wrote:
Found some new old stock Simms Headwaters boots, the old model. How's the fit on Simms... fit to regular shoe size?
Order one size bigger than your normal shoe size. I wear a 9 shoe but a size 10 Simms wading boot.

Back