Wading boots/shoes?

NOTE: As I commented in a previous forum I am looking to switch to a lighter pair of wading boot (Simms Flyweights) only because I plan on doing a lot more walking to get to the places I want to fish in the future and the Korkers are a little heavy for the extended hikes.
Have you looked at the Orvis Ultralight wading boots? I bought a pair late last year on sale but haven't used them yet. They weigh 2 lb, 15.5 oz. According to the Simms website, the Flyweights come in at 2 lb. 10 oz. Oddly enough the Orvis Clearwater boots I used almost all last year weigh 3 lb. 2 oz., almost as light as their Ultralight boots, and they provide a bit more ankle support.

Last edited:
Have you looked at the Orvis Ultralight wading boots? I bought a pair late last year on sale but haven't used them yet. They weight 2 lb, 15.5 oz. According to the Simms website, the Flyweights come in at 2 lb. 10 oz. Oddly enough the Orvis Clearwater boots I used almost all last year weigh 3 lb. 2 oz., almost as light as their Ultralight boots, and they provide a bit more ankle support.
I did....the seams on top where the tongue attaches to the upper portion of the boot dug into my foot as soon as I put them on. That was a dealbreaker for me.

You can wear the $500 G4's with a pair of the $1000 G4Z waders and have yourself a, "gee wiz, I must be a moron to spend that much on wading gear" moment... ;)

I'm sorry but those prices are insane...
Dear bamboozle,

You gotta have something to match up with the $ 1200.00 rod, $ 600.00 reel, and $125.00 fly line otherwise people will think you are a grumpy old fart! ;)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Have you looked at the Orvis Ultralight wading boots? I bought a pair late last year on sale but haven't used them yet. They weight 2 lb, 15.5 oz. According to the Simms website, the Flyweights come in at 2 lb. 10 oz. Oddly enough the Orvis Clearwater boots I used almost all last year weigh 3 lb. 2 oz., almost as light as their Ultralight boots, and they provide a bit more ankle support.
I bought a pair of Orvis Ultralight boots when they came out. I ended up buying 5 more pairs just to have in "inventory" because I love them so much. I've only burned out 2 at this point and still have 2 brand new pairs in boxes waiting for the current pair to fail. I replaced the laces before anything else went on both pairs I destroyed.

The Pros aren't bad either, but I think they're a bit stiff in the ankle and upper. I have a full assortment of the Clearwater boots in men's and women's in multiple sizes, and they're surprisingly good for the price. I'd go as far as to say they're a great "bang for your buck" boot for your average angler.

Krayfish,
Let me know how they hold up for ya....I looked at them once before when they did have them in stock over at Bass Pro.
So far, they might have 22-24 outings on them. Review shows them holding up ok. Had to drive to Hamburg to try on different sizes and made sure to use Simms waders to match the same mm thickness of the booties. Once you get your size, pick up in store or order online. Don't know if chota is still in business but they are worth a look Guys I've fished with have had them last for years.
IMG 20230114 193059999
IMG 20230114 193112325
IMG 20230114 193123976

So far, they might have 22-24 outings on them. Review shows them holding up ok. Had to drive to Hamburg to try on different sizes and made sure to use Simms waders to match the same mm thickness of the booties. Once you get your size, pick up in store or order online. Don't know if chota is still in business but they are worth a look Guys I've fished with have had them last for years. View attachment 1641228446View attachment 1641228447View attachment 1641228448
Yeah....I'd say they're holding up pretty well!

I see Chota hip type waders in catalogs. They are not boot foot so boots are needed. I would think Chota would sell boots as well. Maybe not.

Chota always sold boots, they were more of a boot company than a wader company, though they always had waders too (chest and hip).

That was a long time ago, things may have changed.

It was a long time ago and products change over time. But I have had the STL's, and they were one of my favorite pairs of boots ever as far as features. They were fairly wide and roomy for my duck feet, had good grip and were easy to stud with whatever studs you wanted, easy to get on and off, had decent protection from rocks, etc. That said, they only lasted like 2 years and and the sides blew out.

For a while, Chota was making some Cabela's branded stuff too.

I was a big fan of the STL for similar reasons but the recently they redesigned the sole/heel and went with a wedge heel and a much thicker midsole so they look like 1970's platform shoes and will probably be a lot stiffer.

The one pair I have has the old stacked heel and are almost new so hopefully they last me a while. When this pair is done I think I am done with Chota because of the changes.

FWIW - My problems with the STL was never the sides but heel separation (between the heel counter and the midsole) most likely from pushing one shoe off at the heel with the toe of the other. I now use a boot jack so I don't do that anymore. ;)

Another thing, if you have wide feet don't even think about thier Hybrid High Top or Hybrid Shoes. I treid them on at the Lancaster FF Show and could barley get my foot inside even in a size or two larger because they are so narrow on the sides.

BTW - The Chota Hippies could do with some extra room in the calf area as well...

It was a long time ago and products change over time. But I have had the STL's, and they were one of my favorite pairs of boots ever as far as features. They were fairly wide and roomy for my duck feet, had good grip and were easy to stud with whatever studs you wanted, easy to get on and off, had decent protection from rocks, etc. That said, they only lasted like 2 years and and the sides blew out.

For a while, Chota was making some Cabela's branded stuff too.
I've been using Cabela's ultralights for awhile, and the design looks a heck of a lot like these Chotas. The toe box breaks down, on the edges, but otherwise, they have been pretty bulletproof. I'm about due for another pair and debating why I should consider switching.

Woah, those Chotas are a great price for wading shoes. Beats the pants off $100+ for Simms/Orvis. Might have to give them a spin this year.

Edit: Nevermind. No sizes available except 5 or 6. I would need 3 of those per foot...

I guess I should also read the whole thread:

@skeeter bite

I've been running the Freestones for 1 year, and I really like them. I've given them pretty heavy use in lots of scenarios - hiking, boats, salt - and the comfort is great and there have been no issues with soles coming apart, components breaking off, etc. Maybe uniquely to me, they are also the easiest boots I have ever owned to slip my bootie foot into with the boots just sitting on the ground; no tugging and fighting needed. Also, though 13.5 exists in essentially no shoe make, I am a 13.5/14. I am able to wear the Simms 14.

Full disclosure, I bought the boots in like new condition for only $60 from some tweaker in Alaska who maybe didn't even fish. From my experience, I would definitely consider paying retail in the future.

I appreciate all the replies and the collective wisdom and experience from all of you. To follow up on this thread, I bought a pair of Simms G3 guide wading boots size 16. I think they'll work ok but they are none to big for my big feet. They have vibram soles so I'll get some studs and then give them a try this spring. I got a smoking deal on this pair on ebay so if they aren't what I need it won't be much of a loss.

Attachments

• IMG_3213.JPG
    IMG_3213.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 13
Nice boot! Provide a little feedback after you get them out a few times. I have the older G3 guide boots with the leather and I think I'm on pair number three. They don't seem to last very long

Back