Wading boots/shoes?

S

skeeter bite

Hopefully you guys aren't tired of all my novice questions because I have another for you. My long awaited new waders arrived this week from the Simms custom shop. I had to go through the custom shop because I needed a size 15 bootie put on the wader. My only wading boots/shoes are a pair of Orvis sz 15 that I bought years ago for wet wading in nice weather. The bootie on the new waders is too bulky for the Orvis boots so I'm going to spring for a pair of sz 16 wading boots from Simms to hopefully get more room in the boot. I don't want to spend more than is necessary. Has anyone owned or used the Simms Freestone wading boot/shoe? It's one of their lower priced models and I wondered how it might hold up and how the fit might be. I'll likely be a once or twice a week fly fisherman so not daily use. Also do I want felt soled or rubber with some kind of cleat? 100% fishing in central Pennsylvania creeks and streams. My old Orvis pair have felt soles.

No experience with Simms wading boots, I run Orvis. Forget the model but they were $169. I like the fit of them more than the Orvis Pro Boots (lace style). I had two pairs of Pro Boots with the regular Michelin rubber sole and they have performed will. Only reason my first pair of Pro Boots died within 5 months of use was because their initial adhesive material connecting the rubber to the bottom of the boot was not strong enough. Orvis has since remedied this. I'd get regular non-felt boots. I find that the felt is really only beneficial in scenarios with large stones while on the water. They will have no effect with grip gained on any other surface.
I'm just an all-terrain kind of guy. Stud them if you wish. I have mine studded as I thought for some reason you had to have studs in your boots to fish in and around Lake Erie. Not sure why I thought this. Personally I don't think the studs offer much traction and are a tad uncomfortable to walk with on flat surfaces like roads. Plus stepping on your fly line with studs is really bad for the line. I just don't think studs are necessary but that is my opinion.

I bought a pair of Orvis Clearwater wading boots last year from a local fly shop. I tried on multiple brands & models, although I can't remember if the Simms Freestone boots were in that mix. Probably, because like you I didn't want to spend a lot of money. Enough to get good quality but not a LOT. I've been using them for about 16 months now without any complaints. I got the rubber soled version. Never had felt soled wading boots, lots of places prohibit them, and I do a bit of walking sometimes to get to the water. Rubber lug soles just made more sense to me.

If you have a local fly shop or Bass Pro, etc., I strongly recommend going there to try on various types to see which boots feel or fit better. The Simms sale price for the Freestone boots is pretty good; the normal price is basically the same as the Orvis Clearwater boots. But try them on if you can, you're going to spend a lot of time in them.

I had one pair of Freestones years ago. They held up well. i think they will meet your needs. Seems everyone, myself included, has gone to rubber soles with cleats these days. I don’t think they grip as well as felt in a rocky stream but they are far better for walking and you just need to be careful where you put your feet in the stream. I would go with rubber and cleats

Hopefully you guys aren't tired of all my novice questions because I have another for you. My long awaited new waders arrived this week from the Simms custom shop. I had to go through the custom shop because I needed a size 15 bootie put on the wader. My only wading boots/shoes are a pair of Orvis sz 15 that I bought years ago for wet wading in nice weather. The bootie on the new waders is too bulky for the Orvis boots so I'm going to spring for a pair of sz 16 wading boots from Simms to hopefully get more room in the boot. I don't want to spend more than is necessary. Has anyone owned or used the Simms Freestone wading boot/shoe? It's one of their lower priced models and I wondered how it might hold up and how the fit might be. I'll likely be a once or twice a week fly fisherman so not daily use. Also do I want felt soled or rubber with some kind of cleat? 100% fishing in central Pennsylvania creeks and streams. My old Orvis pair have felt soles.
I have a pair of Simms Freestones, actually two. I use one in the surf because of the plastic eyelets in saltwater. I retired them to this role after 3 years, maybe, taking out the studs. The other pair are felt bottom because my G3s are not felt, and I like felt in certain places/conditions. Long story short, they have held up well. The sole is thinner than my G3s, so you may feel studs if you go a little too deep. No problem with feeling the studs with that extra layer of felt on the sole. Go figure. Otherwise, no complaints on durability at all. Will buy again as my backup boots when needed next time.

Got a pair of Korkers (cleated) that I love..... and they've been holding up for the past 4-5 years. I've had to replace the outsoles twice but that was only because the rear strap broke. However, I'm now looking at a pair of Simms flyweights. I'm planning on covering a lot of ground in 2023 and some of the places I want to go are gonna involve a pretty good hike in and out. Have a couple of buddies who own them and really like the way they fit and grip. Does anyone have any experience with the flyweights and could you give me your impressions....pro and con?

I have a set of Simms guide boots that hold up well. Can't comment on the freestones.

As for felt vs. rubber, it's an age old debate. I will say, rubber is light years better on land. Mud, snow and dry rock. So if it's mostly small stream fishing where you hike a lot and fish a little, rubber is probably the way to go. Do stud rubber, as on slime covered rocks, which is the weakness of rubber, the studs help a lot.

Felt generally does better on wet slimy rocks. So if you fish big water, and are kind of fishing in one area a long time and spending most of your time actually in the water, that's the way to go. Studs can help. And obviously a concern with felt is invasives, the felt stays wet a really long time, and various hitchhikers can get in it and be transferred from stream to stream that way. When I was young it was pretty much all felt, it's the concern over the invasives, and some advancements in rubber compounds, that fueled the switch.

Be careful, felt just stays wet longer. Invasives can be transferred on rubber soles too. So you can't say I got rubber and just not pay any attention to it.

And then there's Korkers, with the interchangable soles, and you can have felt one day and rubber the next in the same boots, but it's a bit of a hassle.

I have a set of Simms guide boots that hold up well. Can't comment on the freestones.

As for felt vs. rubber, it's an age old debate. I will say, rubber is light years better on land. Mud, snow and dry rock. So if it's mostly small stream fishing where you hike a lot and fish a little, rubber is probably the way to go. Do stud rubber, as on slime covered rocks, which is the weakness of rubber, the studs help a lot.

Felt generally does better on wet slimy rocks. So if you fish big water, and are kind of fishing in one area a long time and spending most of your time actually in the water, that's the way to go. Studs can help. And obviously a concern with felt is invasives, the felt stays wet a really long time, and various hitchhikers can get in it and be transferred from stream to stream that way. When I was young it was pretty much all felt, it's the concern over the invasives, and some advancements in rubber compounds, that fueled the switch.

Be careful, felt just stays wet longer. Invasives can be transferred on rubber soles too. So you can't say I got rubber and just not pay any attention to it.

And then there's Korkers, with the interchangable soles, and you can have felt one day and rubber the next in the same boots, but it's a bit of a hassle.
Yup!....definately going with the rubber soles and studs for all the reasons you mentioned.

I think the problem with felt and invasives is equally linked to not cleaning yer boots. I was shocked to learn how many fisherman just set them on the porch or on the floor of the garage or hang them from the hitch ball... I hose off rubber and felt after every trip. It is a good habit to get into. Harder in the winter, but not impossible. I lived in city apartments and rinsed boots in the tub of my rental (not my own plumbing mind you!)

Last edited:
IMO, there is NO perfect boot solution. Just like there is NO perfect fishing pack solution. There’s compromises and pro/cons to whatever route you go, that have been pretty well flushed out already above. Gotta find the solution that is best for your needs.

I currently go with a two boot system. Neither are felts, FWIW. I just don’t like the idea of sliding/slipping on land while hiking, so felts are out for me.

I have a pair of normal hiking boots, bought two sizes too big to account for wader booties, with normal Vibram hiking soles that I use for my small stream fishing. Pros…They’re lighter and super comfortable for hiking, and have excellent traction outside of the water. (You’re out of the water far more than you’re in it while small stream fishing.) Cons…In the water traction is mediocre. It’s fine on small cobble or gravel, but you have to be careful on bigger rocks or any bedrock slab flat bottom surface. They’re not as good as lug rubber (un-studded) soled wading boots, but they’re close, and IMO the out of water traction and hiking comfort make up for it in a small stream application.

I have a pair of Korkers with studded rubber soles for larger streams where I’m doing less hiking out of the stream. Pros…Better grip on bigger boulders and rocks and it’s easier to get them to stop and bite when you’re dealing with heavier current in larger streams. They have excellent ankle support, good for dealing with streams with big boulders everywhere…think Penns or the Broadhead for example. Out of the water traction isn’t as good as the Vibram soled hikers, but it’s still pretty good, and far better than felts. Cons…They’re heavier, and not as comfortable for hiking, but not horrible either. I use them once in a while on small streams if flows are really high. Biggest con for me with studded rubber is that when the studs do slip, it’s often not very predictable, and the falls are worse. With my Vibram soled hiking boots, you can pretty easily feel when you’re starting to lose traction in a tough spot and can adjust, or if you do go down, it’s generally easier to anticipate and pretty controlled. With studs, you’re walking along fine, then hit a surface of rock you thought was flat, but actually slopes a little away from you, and down you go, hard. When I fall with my Korkers on, it probably looks like something from a Looney Tunes bit…Feet fly up from under you, your arms are helicoptering everywhere and your rod goes flying, because you just didn’t see (or feel) it coming. With studs, make sure one foot is completely stopped and planted before moving the other foot. It takes some getting used to. In the wrong situation, generally with rocks sloping away from you, studs can turn into ice skates. Just have to be calculating and deliberate with them. If you are, they’re a huge help in heavy water.

Last edited:
Not to get off the subject but a good pair of wading shoes coupled with a sturdy (and for me collapsible) wading stick has kept me from going for a complete dunking more than a couple of times. Lets face it, if you're gonna get in the water then at some point you're gonna get wet.....part of the game. Most of the time its just annoying, in the winter months it can be dangerous......plan accordingly.

I bought the same pair 2 years ago. I fish 15-20 days a year. Mine have held up well and fit well. I have strange sized feet- 8.5 EEE. Almost as wide as long. The size 9s fit perfectly. I saw that they are currently heavily discounted.

I got the hard rubber soles. Felt soles can transmit stuff from stream to stream which is not healthy for the receiving streams. Rubber soles clean up more easily.
Initially I used hex head aluminum metal screws for traction, but I threw a bunch of them off the boots while wading or walking. I replaced the ones that fell out with Kold Kutter tire studs and they have not fallen out while providing better traction.

I second a good wading staff. Mine is a must for a person of my age.

I guess you might say that I highly rate the Simms product that you are considering.

Last edited:
Pray, just wondering why you think it's a hassle? I've never had any issues and I can switch them out quicker than I can type this post.

Pray, just wondering why you think it's a hassle? I've never had any issues and I can switch them out quicker than I can type this post.
It's an extra thing to bring, an extra thing to store and keep track of, an extra thing to do and check before fishing, another decision to make. I'm a keep things simple, take less stuff guy. I take no vest or pack, just a Richardson and every little tool, tippet, shot, strike indicators, etc. I'm bringing better be in or attached to that thing or my waders, else they ain't comin. I don't take the reel off my main rods, like ever, because now it'd be a separate piece. Heck I don't even unstring it. If I decide I'm going fishing today, I can literally load the car in 30 seconds. Rod tube, richardson, waders, done. And they will all be ready to go, waiting just inside the garage door, with the rod strung up. Nothing will go in the car that I'm not going to have on my person that day. And if I didn't need it last time I went fishing, I won't need it next time.

If I had separate soles for my wading boots, anything that's not used like every trip, I'd have them in the basement to store. Where I'd forget them like every time. They'd be in some tote with the label facing the wrong way, and get put under the Christmas tree or something, and I'd lose track of them, not remember I have them or whatever. I'd be at a show somewhere and wonder what I have, and end up buying more, and storing the in some separate tote. I might find a set looking for pinewood derby stuff or something, and take 1 to cut up for some odd job, like a bumper, leaving that set with just a left. In a couple years I'd have 2 left studded lug soles and 3 right felts, all stored separately, and having no idea where their matches are. So I'd buy more... And not end up using any of them because the only ones that stay together are the ones that are on the boots already, which are fine, and I'd never bother to change. Yeah, felt might be a little better for this trip, but these studded rubber soles are on, will work fine, and I have no idea where those felt soles I bought 2 years ago are stored, and it'd take me an hour to find them, and I wanna be gone in 2 minutes, so off I go. Why did I get this interchangable system again?

A long funny way of saying organization ain't my high point, but I accept it and make it work for me by simplifying. Like playing your slice in golf, and doing it well. If you always hit to the right, aim to the left. ;)

Last edited:
Just remember a Simms boots run a size small because they don't factor the bootie size in and compensate. They state this on their website. So you may actually want a 17. I bought one pair of Simms boots and they got returned because they didn't fit. I didn't realize I couldn't order my shoe size and they tell you to order one size larger than your street shoe.

They're the only company I've ever known to do this.

Just remember a Simms boots run a size small because they don't factor the bootie size in and compensate. They state this on their website. So you may actually want a 17. I bought one pair of Simms boots and they got returned because they didn't fit. I didn't realize I couldn't order my shoe size and they tell you to order one size larger than your street shoe.

They're the only company I've ever known to do this.
I don't know of any wading boot maker offering a size 17.

I'm pretty old school so when buddies got BOA lacing system and korkers with replaceable soles, I watched and waited. After seeing BOA break and seeing guys having soles of korkers fall off, I stayed with traditional stuff. Felts are the worst things ever in the snow. They aren't much better on sloppy mid banks. No amount of studs will help with that problem.

As others have stated, rubber is better if you hike in a lot or fish waters with cleaner rock bottom. Felt is better on algae coated boulders. Studs help with traction on either type of sole. If you've never worn studded boots and stepped onto a smooth concrete floor before, be careful. You'll go down quicker than you can imagine 😂

I'm not the quickest to grab on to some of the new technology as I was reluctant to use a lamson real with a pressure fitted spool. Didn't see how they could possibly last or work correctly. Now, at least 50% of my reels are lamson. I like to see proof before I make a move

Back