waders and fast.

Swattie87 wrote:

Kennebec's just got too expensive for me. I love em', but couldn't justify $250, when I could get a competitor's comparable line product for $90.

What are the good waders for $90?

tb - They're Allen North Fork's. $250 range sticker price waders that are discontinued and currently on Sierra Trading Post. With my additional email discount code, they were $90 to my door.

I don't necessarily expect Kennebec quality or longevity, but at 1/3 the price they only need to make it one year for the same leak free usage per dollar. And I think they'll be able to beat that.

I'd like good waders for 90. My redingtons that are covered with aquaseal lasted 4 years with the last one being a constant struggle to stop leaks. I paid 120 f0or them. I'm gonna check out the L.L.Beans.

cove creek outfitters in bedford carries simms and orvis. only 30 minutes from my house and less than that if I leave from work. I really want to try them on this time. my old ones were way to big.

Swattie87 wrote:
ryansheehan wrote:
It's a lifetime warranty, periiod. I'm not saying I would take back a pair of waders that lasted three years but sure as hell not going to give someone crap who does.

It's not a lifetime warranty. Period. It's a satisfaction guarantee. Period. (Yes I checked their website.) Nowhere does LLBean warranty or claim its products are built to last a lifetime. They claim that you will be satisfied with your purchase, and feel you got your money's worth before it wears out. If you don't feel that way, they stand by their product and offer a more than generous guarantee to replace the item, give you credit for your purchase, or refund your initial purchase funds. If anyone has a set of waders anywhere, that lasted an angling lifetime, show me them.

I give Bean credit for offering the satisfaction guarantee they do, and I own a good bit of their products...but they're a for profit company too. And the cost of the satisfaction guarantee abuse gets passed on to their honest, satisfied customers.

Unless someone can honestly say all 10 times that they weren't satisfied with the product they deserve every bit of "crap" (or "literary gold" depending on your perspective) in my previous post. That's $2,000 worth of free waders that I, and every other LLBean fan have helped pay for.

^I know you CAN do the above within the confines of their satisfaction guarantee and get away with it...doesn't mean you SHOULD if you were satisfied with the product. Given his support for the Kennebec's in his post, I'm guessing nymph-wrist enjoys and thinks highly of the product...how can you then honestly turn around and claim you weren't satisfied with them? Oh, wait, you get a free pair of new waders if you do. That's abusing the satisfaction guarantee for free waders. No way around it.

This is no different than eating 85% of a medium rare ribeye and then expecting another one (for free) because you ordered it medium. If your steak comes out not to your liking, you tell the server immediately upon the first bite or two...they bring you another one. If your waders fail or leak prematurely and you weren't satisfied because of that, heck yeah you should take Bean or whoever up on their satisfaction guarantee and get a new pair. If you were satisfied with the product enough to vouch for it on a public forum however, you're abusing the satisfaction guarantee and allowing others to fund your lifetime of free waders. Period.

You're right, my bad not lifetime. However, still not going to give someone crap or gold about their expectations on fishing products, especially waders. I read through the posts on this sight where people say there waders last 10 sometimes 15 years. Would that not be a reasonable expectation? I've never had any wader or boots from any company make it through 2 seasons (and I really don't fish that much) so mine aren't that high but see how others could be. While 10 times seems high to me there was no time frame. Would 10 pairs in 4 years be too much? Anyway I don't know why I'm playing devils advocate here, oh well.

I generally buy L.L. Bean waders. I have returned them and used Bean's guarantee for a pair that I feel didn't quite last as they should, but otherwise I BUY more from them. They are my favorite company for many things and have he beat warranty and customer service. It is time for me to buy another pair soon. My current pair is getting pretty close to dead, but I'm satisfied with them so now I will BUY another pair.

ryan - I agree there should be different expectations for different people based on their usage...that's fair and reasonable. You and I sound like we're in about the same boat...3 years is darn good for me, and I'm generally pretty satisfied with 2 years. Granted I'm usually buying mid-range waders in the $200 +/- sticker price class...admittedly I don't always pay full sticker price for them as I'll shop on websites like STP and/or pre-emptively buy a pair I know I like if they're on sale, even if I don't need them quite yet.

If I was buying $500 Simms jobs, my expectations for satisfaction with the product would be different (higher). If I was buying $75 range Cabelas or BPS house line waders (and I have), my expectations are well, expectedly less. I almost did that again this time, until I found the Allen's on STP, simply because I have $80 in Cabelas bucks right now. Would have bought me a year to decide if I want to save for another pair of Kennebec's, or wait them out to see if they change color again and the outgoing ones temporarily go on sale.

IMO and in my personal experience, on average, the general equation for waders is for every $100 you spend, you get about 1 year of leak free performance. Fishing em' like I do anyway. Maybe 30 outings a year, with better than half of them being small streams. Small streams are tougher on waders given all the brush, and more importantly all the climbing and seam stretching.

If n-w legitimately was not satisfied all 10 times, then sure I guess, get a new free pair. Problem I had with it is it seems he was satisfied with them, given that he advocated for others purchasing them. He's free to respond to that himself and explain.

If after 10 free pairs of waders you weren't satisfied with, it also begs the question, at what point do you try purchasing a different brand in hopes of finding a pair you like better? After all, one of Bean's options under the satisfaction guarantee is refund of the initial purchase price. Why not put that toward a different pair? If after 10 consecutive lemons from Chevy, I'm taking my money and buying a Ford. Ya know?

I might go with orvis encounters. I know the whole encounter line of orvis is the "beginner" line but I have never bought anything that I wasn't satisfied with from orvis.

It’s that “entitled attitude” so prevalent today in our country. Who pays for this? Yes, those of us who have some scruples and understand that there is no such thing as a “free lunch”, or leak-proof waders. Taking advantage of the system is a way of life for many today. My stomach turns.

Vote for the Lefties, they’ll have 2 pair of Patagonias in every pot - paid for by the [d]super rich[/d] middle-class tax payers.

The only place anywhere near me is gander mountain and I really dont want Frog toggs brand and I dont want to risk ordering them and them not coming in time. Gander does have duck hunting boot foot's that have felt and are 1600 grams insulated. I only use waders until its warm enough to wet wade. Anyone ever use duck hunting waders before?

Back to the OP. I have used hunting waders before (neoprene). I prefer breathables in all weather types. But the neoproenes are serviceable in cold weather.

That said, even for a wet wader, come May the air is plenty hot and the water still cold. I think that'd be WAY too warm for neoprenes, I'd be soaked in sweat and chaffing in all the wrong places. And IMO, it's still too cold to wet wade and stand for long periods of time in 60ish degree water. But that's just me.

I echo others here. If you don't want to order, this whole debate about LL Bean is kinda beside the point, since you don't have any handy to you or your route. And if you don't have anything close to home, then take a slight detour on your way to Clinton County. Depending on your route up there, we might be talking like a 5 minute detour. In State College, there are 2 perfectly good fly shops that carry good waders. Can stop, try them on for fit and everything. Fly Fishers Paradise and TCO.

FFP carries Orvis

TCO carries Simms and Patagonia

Another option, probably more like a 20 minute detour overall, is Spruce Creek Outfitters. You'd be getting off 99 in Tyrone and then meeting back up with it in State College. They carry Chota and Dan Bailey.

All 5 of those companies make some quality stuff. And, as was said, ****s carries some decent waders as well, and there's one of those virtually everywhere.

I'd also imagine the Kettle Creek Tackle Shop carries waders, but I can't say I know which brands. If your farther east, there's also MocConnell's Country Store in Waterville.

I would swing by Gander Mountain's Johnstown store. Right along 219.

He said he didn't want Frogg Togg brand. That's the only brand of breathables that Gander Mountain carries.

They also carry Drake and Gander Mountain branded stuff, but not in breathables. Rubber, PVC, or neoprene only. Duck hunting stuff.

FWIW, ****s carries:

Patagonia
Redington
Hodgemen
Field and Stream
Pro-Line

That's not a terrible lineup by any means. The question I'd have is what is actually in stock at their regular locations, vs. their "Field & Stream" locations. The better options may all be in the latter and not the golf-centric stores.

pcray1231 wrote:
FWIW, ****s carries:

Patagonia
Redington
Hodgemen
Field and Stream
Pro-Line

That's not a terrible lineup by any means. The question I'd have is what is actually in stock at their regular locations, vs. their "Field & Stream" locations. The better options may all be in the latter and not the golf-centric stores.

The Field and Stream in Altoona also carries Simms just fyi.

Well, there ya go, that's on his route too. Didn't know Altoona had a Field & Stream.

I've been to the one in Cranberry. It's not FF centric, but they have some stuff, and it was overall a nice outdoors store.

And waders aren't FF centric. Spin, bait, saltwater, and hunting. They all use em.

LL Bean. Kennebec Stocking foot. LL Bean has the best customer service and they have a quick turn around time. 100% guaranteed.

If it makes you guys feel better, I promise not to take advantage of the satisfaction guarantee if you all just pitch in and purchase me some new waders. That way, instead of making everyone pay, just a few have to. Think of your fellow man gentlemen!

Johnstown Gander carries zero stockingfoot waders in their store. ****s in Westmoreland only carried their generic brand 70 dollar neoprene bootfoot ones in store. Field and stream was an option but we are already gonna be rolling into the hunting cabin well after my bedtime and I'm not driving so I wanted to have this issue settled and be packed and ready. Cove creek outfitters in Bedford was the solution. They carry Orvis and Simms waders, the guy that runs the Gun/Fly fishing shop downstairs was knowledgeable and you could tell he actually fly fishes. I got Orvis encounter's 179 after taxes and a pretty cool Orvis hat. It's not the biggest greatest flyshop in the world but its far better than going to a chain store like Gander or ****s. 40 minutes from my front door too.

Swattie87 wrote:
ryansheehan wrote:
It's a lifetime warranty, periiod. I'm not saying I would take back a pair of waders that lasted three years but sure as hell not going to give someone crap who does.

It's not a lifetime warranty. Period. It's a satisfaction guarantee. Period. (Yes I checked their website.) Nowhere does LLBean warranty or claim its products are built to last a lifetime. They claim that you will be satisfied with your purchase, and feel you got your money's worth before it wears out. If you don't feel that way, they stand by their product and offer a more than generous guarantee to replace the item, give you credit for your purchase, or refund your initial purchase funds. If anyone has a set of waders anywhere, that lasted an angling lifetime, show me them.

I give Bean credit for offering the satisfaction guarantee they do, and I own a good bit of their products...but they're a for profit company too. And the cost of the satisfaction guarantee abuse gets passed on to their honest, satisfied customers.

Unless someone can honestly say all 10 times that they weren't satisfied with the product they deserve every bit of "crap" (or "literary gold" depending on your perspective) in my previous post. That's $2,000 worth of free waders that I, and every other LLBean fan have helped pay for.

^I know you CAN do the above within the confines of their satisfaction guarantee and get away with it...doesn't mean you SHOULD if you were satisfied with the product. Given his support for the Kennebec's in his post, I'm guessing nymph-wrist enjoys and thinks highly of the product...how can you then honestly turn around and claim you weren't satisfied with them? Oh, wait, you get a free pair of new waders if you do. That's abusing the satisfaction guarantee for free waders. No way around it.

This is no different than eating 85% of a medium rare ribeye and then expecting another one (for free) because you ordered it medium. If your steak comes out not to your liking, you tell the server immediately upon the first bite or two...they bring you another one. If your waders fail or leak prematurely and you weren't satisfied because of that, heck yeah you should take Bean or whoever up on their satisfaction guarantee and get a new pair. If you were satisfied with the product enough to vouch for it on a public forum however, you're abusing the satisfaction guarantee and allowing others to fund your lifetime of free waders. Period.

I agree that their stuff does last, most of the time. It goes without saying (so I will say it) be wary of clearance items. If they get a lot a bad reviews on a product, it will be gone in no time.

Because on average their waders last me 3 years or more, and I fish a lot (like 26 trips since January 1, 2016, alone) I have no problem with spending the extra 40 or 50 for the "new and improved" Kennebec IV....

I see what you did there. I didn't help cover the first $200 for you this time though since I bought those Allen's, just a heads up.

Enjoy your free steak. By my math you get about 300ish outings out those waders...as long as you're not satisfied with that, no prob.

Back