waders and fast.

S

somersetian

Hey guys I'm heading up to clinton county this thursday for the first day of spring gobbler. Friday I will be fishing kettle creek though, and sat afternoon and sunday morning. My waders are leaking like a shotgun blast and there is just no fixing this one, I just need new ones. The only place anywhere near me is gander mountain and I really dont want Frog toggs brand and I dont want to risk ordering them and them not coming in time. Gander does have duck hunting boot foot's that have felt and are 1600 grams insulated. I only use waders until its warm enough to wet wade. Anyone ever use duck hunting waders before?

You could stop in State College and buy waders at Fishermans Paradise.

Kettle creek tackle shop has waders.

****s sporting goods carries several kind of waders also - including Patagonia

LL Bean will have them at your door in 2 days. Free Shipping.

Frogg Togg stuff is really ugly but supposedly unbelievable in performance.

I bought Frogg Togg waders and boots last spring. A few trips in the sole came off the wading boot and shortly thereafter the waders began leaking.

LLBEAN Kennebec waders, order them now they will be there by Wednesday.

+1 on LL Bean. And when they leak, which all waders eventually do, you can return or exchange them no questions asked. I have return about 10 pairs of LL Bean waders over the years. If they update the Kennebec to the Kennebec II, for example, you will never loose your initial investment and can put that money towards the upgrade.

Nymph-wristed wrote:
+1 on LL Bean. And when they leak, which all waders eventually do, you can return or exchange them no questions asked. I have return about 10 pairs of LL Bean waders over the years. If they update the Kennebec to the Kennebec II, for example, you will never loose your initial investment and can put that money towards the upgrade.

Ever wonder why the price of those Kennebec's keeps going up, and they rename the same waders the Kennebec II and slightly change their color to justify the price increase?

My Kennebec's just started leaking in both booties today. Gonna try some repair work to attempt to get through this Summer with them. I've gotten 3 years out of them leak free. Pretty good for the price I paid, the amount I fish, and the abuse I put them through. I was satisfied and feel I got my money's worth...I bought them on sale for $160 discounted off their normal price of $200 at the time. They're now $250 sticker price. That price increase sure outpaced inflation for the last 3 years...I think I've figured it out though.

I considered BUYING another pair of Kennebec's, as opposed to taking advantage of Bean's satisfaction guarantee for free lifetime waders...which as you acknowledge "all waders eventually leak." Can you honestly say you weren't satisfied with the performance of the product all 10 times you cashed in for a new pair though? I enjoyed the product (they're the best, most comfortable waders I ever owned), and was satisfied with them. However at $250, I found other competitive options at a much better price point this time.

Just ordered a pair of Allen North Fork's off STP for $90 to my door in case I can't successfully repair the Kennebec's. Can't imagine I'll like the North Fork's as much as the Kennebec's, but at 1/3 the price they were a better value...Thanks nymph-wrist, hope you enjoy your next pair of free Kennebec's I helped pay for. Head for the mountains...Busch.

Let us count the ways.
International Angler
Ligonier Outfitters
Field & Stream (Washington) see Dale
****s
Gander Mt.
Cabelas (argh) Tridelphia W.Va.

Swattie87 wrote:
Nymph-wristed wrote:

Ever wonder why the price of those Kennebec's keeps going up, and they rename the same waders the Kennebec II and slightly change their color to justify the price increase?

My Kennebec's just started leaking in both booties today. Gonna try some repair work to attempt to get through this Summer with them. I've gotten 3 years out of them leak free. Pretty good for the price I paid, the amount I fish, and the abuse I put them through. I was satisfied and feel I got my money's worth...I bought them on sale for $160 discounted off their normal price of $200 at the time. They're now $250 sticker price. That price increase sure outpaced inflation for the last 3 years...I think I've figured it out though.

I considered BUYING another pair of Kennebec's, as opposed to taking advantage of Bean's satisfaction guarantee for free lifetime waders...which as you acknowledge "all waders eventually leak." Can you honestly say you weren't satisfied with the performance of the product all 10 times you cashed in for a new pair though? I enjoyed the product (they're the best, most comfortable waders I ever owned), and was satisfied with them. However at $250, I found other competitive options at a much better price point this time.

Just ordered a pair of Allen North Fork's off STP for $90 to my door in case I can't successfully repair the Kennebec's. Can't imagine I'll like the North Fork's as much as the Kennebec's, but at 1/3 the price they were a better value...Thanks nymph-wrist, hope you enjoy your next pair of free Kennebec's I helped pay for. Head for the mountains...Busch.

It's a lifetime warranty, periiod. I'm not saying I would take back a pair of waders that lasted three years but sure as hell not going to give someone crap who does.

If you plan to use the waders more than once, I'd find a way to get to a store. Try on and get a pair.

It like saying "I'm having a dozen dogwood trees delivered Thursday. I'd like to get a shovel and digging iron to plant them but the stores are 30 minutes away. The the store right in town sells feed shovels and serving spoons. I may just go that route. Anyone ever plant trees in clay and shale using a feed shovel?"

ryansheehan wrote:
It's a lifetime warranty, periiod. I'm not saying I would take back a pair of waders that lasted three years but sure as hell not going to give someone crap who does.

It's not a lifetime warranty. Period. It's a satisfaction guarantee. Period. (Yes I checked their website.) Nowhere does LLBean warranty or claim its products are built to last a lifetime. They claim that you will be satisfied with your purchase, and feel you got your money's worth before it wears out. If you don't feel that way, they stand by their product and offer a more than generous guarantee to replace the item, give you credit for your purchase, or refund your initial purchase funds. If anyone has a set of waders anywhere, that lasted an angling lifetime, show me them.

I give Bean credit for offering the satisfaction guarantee they do, and I own a good bit of their products...but they're a for profit company too. And the cost of the satisfaction guarantee abuse gets passed on to their honest, satisfied customers.

Unless someone can honestly say all 10 times that they weren't satisfied with the product they deserve every bit of "crap" (or "literary gold" depending on your perspective) in my previous post. That's $2,000 worth of free waders that I, and every other LLBean fan have helped pay for.

^I know you CAN do the above within the confines of their satisfaction guarantee and get away with it...doesn't mean you SHOULD if you were satisfied with the product. Given his support for the Kennebec's in his post, I'm guessing nymph-wrist enjoys and thinks highly of the product...how can you then honestly turn around and claim you weren't satisfied with them? Oh, wait, you get a free pair of new waders if you do. That's abusing the satisfaction guarantee for free waders. No way around it.

This is no different than eating 85% of a medium rare ribeye and then expecting another one (for free) because you ordered it medium. If your steak comes out not to your liking, you tell the server immediately upon the first bite or two...they bring you another one. If your waders fail or leak prematurely and you weren't satisfied because of that, heck yeah you should take Bean or whoever up on their satisfaction guarantee and get a new pair. If you were satisfied with the product enough to vouch for it on a public forum however, you're abusing the satisfaction guarantee and allowing others to fund your lifetime of free waders. Period.

Swattie87 wrote: Thanks nymph-wrist, hope you enjoy your next pair of free Kennebec's I helped pay for. Head for the mountains...Busch.
Matt, he might enjoy them even more now after reading your post. lol All nymph-wrist is doing is taking full advantage of a warranty policy. After all, this is Merica!

Yo Swattie - wow! That sure was an eloquent and complete exposition of that point of view, which I am now adopting.

Back before most of you were born, Sears used to sell waders as well as ffishing gear. I always coveted one of their Ted Williams sticks. They also used to have huge paper catalogues. They had a warranty on their waders that allowed some acquaintances to do exactly what n-w says he's been doing. None of my ffishing crowd would ever carpool or share restaurant meals with those guys because they always expected to be taken or mooched on when the time came to pay the tab or the gas.

wildtrout2 wrote:
Matt, he might enjoy them even more now after reading your post. lol All nymph-wrist is doing is taking full advantage of a warranty policy. After all, this is Merica!

Yeah, I know. I'm undecided on my vote so far. Candidates...If you're listening, and in case there was any confusion, I'm against the free lifetime waders for all plan.

It's a satisfaction guarantee, not a warranty though! :hammer:

Swattie87 wrote:

It's a satisfaction guarantee, not a warranty though! :hammer:
You're right, but in the eyes of L.L. Bean they are one and the same. Not saying I condone the practice, but if they allow it folks WILL take advantage of it. Ahhh, Merica. :)

From interviews I've seen with LL Bean leadership, a big part of the idea is that they would prefer you taking advantage of the satisfaction guarantee and continuing to use/promote/spread praise of their products and the policy. They seem to parse words very carefully so as not to condone abusing it, but to basically say do whatever the hell you like if you speak well of the brand. My guess is they would rather have a fisherman trade in a beat pair of Kennebecs, seemingly get over on Bean, and have their product have a substantial visual presence out on the water than to have you find "competitive options at a better price point."

And, to that point, the marketing strategy has worked on me. I'm buying a helluva lot more LL Bean stuff, and I intend to 'abuse' the policy for as long as I can. Seems win-win.

You're welcome too hooker.

Kennebec's just got too expensive for me. I love em', but couldn't justify $250, when I could get a competitor's comparable line product for $90. And I couldn't stomach asking LLBean to replace them for free when I was quite clearly satisfied with them.

As wt2 mentioned, this is Merica, and instead of cashing in on free waders for life I can make NASCAR, budget beer references toward those that do.

my orvis silver sonic waders have lasted so far a record three years.

the fact that the seams are welded seems to be the difference.

$279 but i had a 30% off coupon in the mail, so i paid $190.

Back