Wader alternatives to Simms

KennettSteve

What are your thoughts on waders other than Simms. My latest pair are not that old (couple of years) and early this week I was out on Pine and very quickly found out they were leaking badly on both sides--not fun. I last wore then in June or July and had no problems. Looks like the seams are coming apart in the feet. They are custom G3s and weren't cheap. It seems each successive pair of Simms I get (these are my 3rd) last a shorter period of time than the previous pair. I don't feel I get good value anymore and if I'm going to have to replace them, I intend to go with another brand. I'll send these in for repair (like I've done with the others) but in my experience the repairs only last a year or two. I guess the alternatives include Orvis, Skwala and Patagonia. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Dear KennettSteve,

Of all the commonly used items by fly fishermen, or even fishermen, waders are literally the most disposable item in the mix.

Waders are literally throw-away items for several reasons, not the least of which is that many people seem to think that "buy once cry once" equates to invincible waders. If you walk and wade carelessly your waders could be made of titanium encrusted Gore-Tex, and you will still get them to leak.

Unless you are somehow freakishly built, like me, then buy the cheapest damned waders you can fit into from the size chart and try them. If they fit you properly, buy a spare pair, or two.

With that thought in mind, you could easily buy 6 to 10 pairs of Chinese waders at $ 75.00 each and still not touch the price of the high line waders.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here with my opinion but I stand by it, waders are literally just tippet material in the scheme of things. BTW, my favorite tippet material is still Maxima Chameleon! 😉

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

Started with Orvis.At best average life,Expensive. Last 20 years, LL Bean. 2-3 years at most. Decided if im gonna buy Asian junk, i might as well buy Walmart Asian junk.

i`ve been considering a pair from PARAMOUNT , decently priced and got good reviews on youtube or Grunden's........also my waist high Frogg Toggs started leaking at the seams ... turned them inside out and sprayed some Flex Seal along the seams....so far so good , but time will tell

Simms goretex waders are still the only ones that have lasted any length of time - several years - for me.
I recently tried a pair of their freestone - non goretex - waders.
Leaked after 3 months of use.

I have Patagonia waist highs that are about 5 years old now.
They did develop a few small leaks during second year.
But I was able to easily patch them, and they're still good.
But they dont get used a lot

As for buying cheap ones:
I get the point, and it does make sense.

However, when I go fishing, I want it to be an enjoyable experience.
And getting soaked doesn't fall into that category - especially in cold weather.

To the OP....How did you care for your past waders between fishing trips? Were they exposed to sun, lots of heat, bundled up in a ball still wet, etc....?

I bought a pair of LL Beans a few years ago that have held up well but I think their longevity have more to do with my care than the actual waders themselves. YMMV.

I used to keep my waders in my car all year long so I could fish on moments notice. I don't do that anymore and I feel my waders are lasting longer. I've only ever purchased low to mid price waders.

I have been very happy with Orvis waders and boots. I had a pair of Silver Sonics that lasted 8 years before the welded seams started giving out. I fixed them and still keep them as a backup. I have a pair of ultralight convertibles now that are on year 2 with no problems so far.

I don't wear them as much as some others do as I have a young family and have to drive a bit to fish for trout but when I do go I am not easy on them. I do make sure to take good care of them though by always hanging them to dry. I never leave them lying around wet.

The major difference between good quality waders and less expensive for me is fit and comfort. My simms fit like a good pair of jeans. I have a pair of insulated frogtoggs that I use steelheading and while they keep me warm they’re like wearing an industrial trash bag. You pay the price for comfort.
I would add that you also pay for the warranty.

I am going to try Grundens next time just because I've trusted the brand for decades. Fit will be important, however.

To the OP....How did you care for your past waders between fishing trips? Were they exposed to sun, lots of heat, bundled up in a ball still wet, etc....?

I bought a pair of LL Beans a few years ago that have held up well but I think their longevity have more to do with my care than the actual waders themselves. YMMV.

I used to keep my waders in my car all year long so I could fish on moments notice. I don't do that anymore and I feel my waders are lasting longer. I've only ever purchased low to mid price waders.
I have a pair of LL Beans from 2018 that have been great so far. No rips, tears, or leaks. I hang them after almost every trip. Same with their boots, let them air dry. A little bit Herman Munster-ish but they do the trick.

I hang them after almost every trip.
That might reduce odors by improving drying but does it actually make any difference regarding leaking?

If so, how? By what physical process? Waders are made out synthetic materials, so they don't decay.

I hose mine down after every trip.
And fold them over our porch railing - leaving them there until they dry out.
Then hang them in the basement on wall hooks in the basement

That might reduce odors by improving drying but does it actually make any difference regarding leaking?

If so, how? By what physical process? Waders are made out synthetic materials, so they don't decay.
Dear troutbert,

I don't think hanging them up to dry does much except for the fact that if they are hung full length then the waders are not folded or creased. Sometimes folding or creasing waders causes deterioration or delaminating of the waders at the fold.

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

Maybe its more that by drying them you are hanging them instead of leaving them in a container or bag where they can rub against other stuff. Also I think any fabric type material is going to have some kind of reaction to wet / dry and hot / cold cycles, although I am not a materials engineer and have zero science to prove my theory.

I say this every time discussions about waders come up and someone says they've had a pair of wader X for X amount of years. Ask them how many days a year they fish not how many years their waders lasted.

I do fish a lot, and hard.
But dont really beat my waders.

When I'm getting to and from the water, I'm quite careful to avoid brush and briars as much as I can

If you fit standard sizes, then new older model Simms are regularly available for half price or less at sierra, steepandcheap or ebay. So if/when they fail the sting isn’t so bad.

I would add that you also pay for the warranty.

I am going to try Grundens next time just because I've trusted the brand for decades. Fit will be important, however.
Been using the mid tier Grundens since the beginning of the year. They’ve been put through hard use, often, and have held up so far. Hoping to get at least a few seasons out of them.

Two schools of thought - buy cheap waders more often or buy expensive and hope they last longer. Orvis and Patagonia are next on my radar.

I hose down and hang my waders so that they are open at the top after every use. I was a bit surprised years ago when I reached into the foot portion and noted how wet it was from condensation. The waders were not leaking. Since then I make a point of immediately hanging the waders so the inside, especially the foot portion, dries ASAP.

I don't know if this helps with leaking but it sure helps reduce the chance of mold inside - and that is one reason simms will not warranty the wadrs. There is a recent thread on another big FF forum about simms refusing to warrrant waders due to presumed mold. Here is the posted image of text conversation.

1728760899113.png

What are your thoughts on waders other than Simms. My latest pair are not that old (couple of years) and early this week I was out on Pine and very quickly found out they were leaking badly on both sides--not fun. I last wore then in June or July and had no problems. Looks like the seams are coming apart in the feet. They are custom G3s and weren't cheap. It seems each successive pair of Simms I get (these are my 3rd) last a shorter period of time than the previous pair. I don't feel I get good value anymore and if I'm going to have to replace them, I intend to go with another brand. I'll send these in for repair (like I've done with the others) but in my experience the repairs only last a year or two. I guess the alternatives include Orvis, Skwala and Patagonia. Any recommendations? Thanks.
I have been buying the dry plus ( gore tex equivalent) waders from Cabelas the last ten years and get 3 or more years of frequent fishing out of each pair. They cost around $125 on sale so buying a new pair every 3 or 4 years is not a big cost. I have tried more expensive Simms and Orvis waders and they have no lasted any longer and cost much more.

Back