Impressive native

JimKennedy

IMG_1938.jpeg

Got a solid native on the little Juniata. Anyone else care to post pics of wild trout by-catch?

Caught a big fall fish in SEPA this spring:
1729043712195.png

I was fishing a river in Montana 2 weeks ago, and I thought I hooked into the big brown. I had noticed one rising for a while. Fought like hell and than I realized that the brown I was fighting was in fact a mondo whitefish.

1729043014178.png

I got the brown trout's cousin or maybe it was him a few days later, about 100' upstream.

1729043184228.png

Last edited:
Caught a big fall fish in SEPA this spring:
View attachment 1641238216

I was fishing a river in Montana 2 weeks ago, and I thought I hooked into the big brown. I had noticed one rising for a while. Fought like hell and than I realized that the brown I was fighting was in fact a mondo whitefish.

View attachment 1641238214

I got the brown trout's cousin or maybe it was him a few days later, about 100' upstream.

View attachment 1641238215
Those whitefish eat so much better than a chub. And yes, it's a big brown until it isn't.

Also from the LJ and I really like the blue/green gill on this fallfish. The larger one was colored up in hi spawning hues.
IMG_8181.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8177.jpeg
    IMG_8177.jpeg
    408.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0646.jpeg
    IMG_0646.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: JLB
Also from the LJ and I really like the blue/green gill on this fallfish. The larger one was colored up in hi spawning hues.
View attachment 1641238227
Nice pics. The fish in the larger pic and the fish on the left are River Chubs. They are a different Genus and Species from Creek Chubs and Fallfish. Creek Chubs and Fallfish are within the same Genus. The fish to the right is a Fallfish. Can’t recall River Chubs ever being mentioned or their pics displayed here before, but I could be wrong. They’re a nice looking fish. You may notice that when holding the two species to unhook them the River Chubs feel firmer.

Nice pics. The fish in the larger pic and the fish on the left are River Chubs. They are a different Genus and Species from Creek Chubs and Fallfish. Creek Chubs and Fallfish are within the same Genus. The fish to the right is a Fallfish. Can’t recall River Chubs ever being mentioned or their pics displayed here before, but I could be wrong. They’re a nice looking fish. You may notice that when holding the two species to unhook them the River Chubs feel firmer.

How do you visually tell a River and Creek Chub apart? I’ve known they’re separate species, and I’m sure I’ve caught both, but never cared enough to learn to tell them apart.

Back