The Aging Angler | Fly Fishing

fly fishing
A few ears ago, Maurice and I stayed on after the Spring Jam at Penns Creek for several days. We ended up hitting the start of the Green Drakes. Always a treat and hard to walk away from the table when the game gets started. Once the frenzied rush of guides and crowds hurried upstream, we had one awesome day by ourselves in a really fun, secluded stretch of the creek.

The drakes were coming off pretty steadily, and we had fish rising with them all day long. A lot of casting to some here-and-there catches. I ended up targeting a far bank sipper for about 30 minutes and finally hooked into the largest 21"+ brown trout I had ever caught Green Drake fishing. What a thrill bringing it in with Mo in my ear cheering me on. The day was fantastic until it was time to get out of the water. It took me what seemed like ten minutes to walk ten feet over those greased-up bowling balls they call rocks in Penns Creek. What a struggle as I stumbled to the bank, but I didn't fall.

The day ended with some cigars and bourbon, reviewing our accomplishments as you can only do fly fishing on Penns after a Green Drake Hatch. After a few smooth Basil Hayden's on the rocks, the question was raised: so how many Drake Hatches do we have left? It wasn't the fact that someday I wouldn't be fishing; it was the realization that as I was getting older, it might not be fishing because I couldn't access the stream.

Now in my young 60s, I know gone are the days of me jumping into First Fork without a wading staff in chest-high deep water and making my way up and down the stream without a care in the world, pulling out bows left and right. Today I have a checklist as long as my arm after I suit up with my important gear like a wading staff, pull-on ice cleats (thanks @Bruno), a headlamp, and clip-on reader glasses before I ever enter a stream. These are all things I slowly added over the years to start compensating for no longer being that run-and-gun angler I was 40 years ago.

Most everyone eventually accepts the fact they need a wading staff on a stream like Penns or a headlamp when they are walking out of a stream at night. They only take you so far, and I'm not gonna let age get the better of me by limiting my mobility too soon. I was fortunate to retire a few years ago and started walking almost five miles a day. Good for my dog Caddie and most certainly for me after sitting behind a desk most of my life.

But after lumbering out of Penns Creek that day, I knew I was going to need more than some dog walking for me to keep up with my future hatches. Around that same time, it seemed like I was hearing about more hip and knee replacements from friends my age. A little more research showed me that a Scientific American article last July offered this line: "Studies suggest that muscle mass decreases by about 3 to 8 percent per decade after age 30 and at higher rates after age 60." Yikes, I never got that email when I signed up with AARP. So I decided to start going to the gym 3-4 days a week with the goal of a full-body weighted workout.

I only wanted to improve strength in my legs for wading and arms for casting. Easy, right? The reality is that for proper fitness, this includes your arms, shoulders, core, legs, glutes, and more. All should be targeted for balanced well-being. The first couple of months were pretty tough, but I stuck with it and now not only do I enjoy my workouts, I really need them as part of my weekly activities.

During the process, I recognized I had some lingering joint issues and I proactively sought some help from a Physical Therapist. She not only helped overcome that troubled knee and shoulder but taught me proper stretching and even more new exercise techniques. I encourage anyone heading on this journey to discuss goals and arrive at a personal plan from a professional.

Results are hard to measure, but I felt a little more confident cruising through the streams this year, with a wading staff of course. The weight I am now lifting has increased about 50%, I feel better, and I didn't fall into any streams this year. Always a bonus. I know I'm investing in myself and future fly fishing Dave. I can't change the fact I'm 62, I will move up to the senior tees for golf and take that senior discount at CVS, and hopefully, you'll be seeing me down the road on Penns Creek easily casting way across the far side of the bank to a nice lurking brownie.

photo by Maurice

Last edited:
Seriously wish I had the time. Between work, long commute, kid responsibilities, coaching, etc, I get up at 3:30 a.m and finally get home at 9ish p.m. most every night.

I have wanted to join a gym but I don't know where I would fit it. On the rare occasion I do get a little time where I don't have a responsibility, I do something fun (fishing, hunting, out with the wife, etc.)
Honestly when I was at that point in my life, fishing and this board took the biggest hit. I coached baseball, soccer, and basketball so it was rough. I am lucky to be a teacher so I always had the summer and could put the time in the gym or running in June, July, or August. I could keep it going through the early fall and some sometimes through the winter as well. It got a bit easier as the kids got older and I coached less. I was also lucky to not have a long commute so I would often hit the gym right after school. I also signed up to be a weight room monitor at school so that was right after school and saved the drive to the gym.

In the last 2 years I have been super committed to the point I'm probably lifting 4-5 days a week and running 25 miles a week. The aches and pains are there but I'm feeling pretty good overall. I barely drink anymore and I don't really miss it. I go to bed early even on weekends and barely watch tv. Now my wife does ***** about all the time I spend running and at the gym. I just wish I could get her to go with me.

The time with kids sports was awesome. Do what you can during these busy years. Buy a couple sets of dumbbells and squeeze it it when you can. I admit it is very hard for me to work out at home. I also did what I could to actually play with the kids I coached. If your kids are at practice and your not coaching, workout or run when you take them to practice. Even when I was running, it's nothing like playing soccer or basketball. Best advice is to eat healthy and lay off the booze. Not saying it's easy, but your health is important.

Also, don't forget to enjoy these days. They don't last forever. I do miss that feeling of anticipation of a weekend soccer tournament or a Friday night game basketball game against a local rival.

Last edited:
Back