wader advice

I used to wear a pair of freestones. Never had a problem. Bought a set of the new G3 stockingfoot. I will never buy anything else. Theyare awesome

I just got the Spring Classic ad in the mail, and am torn. Bass Pro's osprey waders are $90 on sale and have mixed reviews. In looking at Orvis's new low end and even the Simms Freestone, they are all imported. So... Are they made in the same plant or are they really different?

BrooksAndHooks wrote:
I got some Redington cross waters this winter for myself, and some new boots as well. Really happy with the waders, seem to be very nice material and resistant to tear/puncture, They seem breathable when worn alone but kept me very warm when doing some winter fishing lately. I don't have a huge budget, so these worked for me, and you can find them for like ~120. There are also a lot of people I have heard of and know who like them as well. I would love to be covered in SIMMS gear but I won't be in that paygrade for a few more years.

I'm in the same boat. Except I ending up with the Palix River waders because I liked the extra thickness at and below the knees. I got them in the middle of last season, and so far so good. Eventually I would like to upgrade, but I see these waders lasting me awhile.

Orvis are the best for your dollar Orvis Convertibles). I picked up the Orvis Zippered pair this fall for 325.00. I purchased a pair of G3's last spring sir 500.00. They are thicker than the Orvis and stronger but for the money I'd get the Orvis. Both have good warranty, but I think Orvis will take care of you further down the road if you have any issues. Spend the extra money and get the Orvis Convertibles. You won't be disappointed.

Check out the LL Bean waders. bough a pair 2 years ago and like them so far. However, I do not use these at often because I keep them in Denver and use them about 20 times so far. I also use the Orvis silver sonics A LOT and like them best. Have had these for 4 yrs. and have not had 1 issue. I also use the Orvis Proguides for cold temp fishing. Had these for about 5 years and again no issues or leaks. If I were in the market I'd look at Madison River Fly Shop closeout Redington Sonics, same as orvis, or the LL Beans. I would sure look at the LL bean boots.

Im a simms man. Ive owned two pair, my first pair lasted a solid 8 years without much repair, and they barely leak now as it is, I keep them for a backup. Just got a pair of the g3's last year and I love them. Simms makes quality products, you will not be disappointed if you go that route.

Currently I have a pair of Simms Freestones. They are a very nice wader but at $250 over your price range. I also have a pair of Cabelas waders and they have a good policy of replacement if they leak (not torn on barb wire) If you look at the current wader line-up you will see a couple from $135 - $150.

Frog Toggs also makes a nice wader in your price range.

Looking at getting new waders for the warmer months at Bass Pro with gift cards. Any thoughts? Not in love with tgeir selection.

My experience has been that, thus far, I can't beat $100/year. i.e. if I buy a $100 pair they last 1 year, a $200 pair lasts 2, a $300 lasts 3, etc. That's based on my amount and type of fishing, so my $100/year could be your $50/year. Nonetheless, it generally means you neither win nor lose by going with more expensive stuff.

Brands that have fit this trend for me.

Hodgeman (x2)
Cabelas
Chota
Orvis (x3)
LL Bean

Simms - current, so we'll see. $350 and only going on year 2, but so far, so good.

A pair of mesh shorts? just me come june im wet wading if not earlier. But for waders simms are the best.

LL Bean Flyweights are only $100 and they treat me excellent. Plus, if you feel that you didn't get your money's worth or the product you should have Bean's guarantee is pretty much amazing. No questions asked they would give you a brand new pair of waders....don't abuse this policy obviously.

I liked my Dan Baileys but last spring I was having a problem and I called them. I told them I had a leak and asked if I could get a replacement once they saw them. They said they did not have them in my size. I asked if I could upgrade and I pay they difference. They said that they did not have the upgrade model in my size. The kicker is, it was May (prime season) and I was looking for a size = medium. Not good sign that such a good company has a supply chain problem in the peak of the season.

LL Bean Flyweights are only $100 and they treat me excellent. Plus, if you feel that you didn't get your money's worth or the product you should have Bean's guarantee is pretty much amazing. No questions asked they would give you a brand new pair of waders....don't abuse this policy obviously

Agreed on the policy & service, not on the wader quality.

Bought a pair of their Emerger line waders, leaked within a few months. Swapped them out, no questions asked, and the second pair leaked on the first outing I had them out. Swapped them out again, and the third pair lasted the last month or so of fishing season, then decided to leak in the middle of a very cold day of duck hunting that fall.

Again used the satisfaction guarantee, but this time instead used the credit and added to it to get a pair of Neos they carried but that were made by LaCrosse for duck hunting. These have been rock solid ever since, so I'm not inclined to get LL Bean breathable waders ever again...but each time I brought them back, the service *was* excellent, I must admit. But 3 pair of waders over the course of a summer is ridiculous, and obviously not an isolated incident.

Other than that runaround, I've had 3 pairs of the entry-level Orvis waders. The first ones went about 3 years before the pinholes became too much and I sent them back for repairs (I think a $30 fee). Unfortunately (?) they got lost in the mail on their way back to me, so Orvis replaced them with a brand new pair of their entry level. These lasted about 3 years, at which point I decided to try the LL Beans.

After that fiasco, I took them back in to see if Orvis would repair these ones and again sent them with the $30 fee. This time, apparently it was more trouble than it was worth to repair, and again Orvis simply sent me new ones.

This experience seems like the exception to the general rule, but I've been pleased as punch with the regular, basic Orvis waders, and wouldn't hesitate to go with them again if/when it's time to get new ones.

For what it's worth, I'd estimate they see about 50-75 outings per year, since I wet wade when I can in the dead heat of summer.

What do you guys think of these? They are going on sale tomorrow for $199.99. New to this so just looking for some opinions.

Thanks

Cabelas

If you're already planning to spend that much money go with the Simms Freestones.

Unfortunately I'm a bit of a heavyweight and the Simms will not fit me. :(

Well, then I hope your Cabela's waders last longer than the pair I had.

Simms does offer the same sizes but they're only in the G4 through the custom shop. Being new to the sport that's not a smart route, even for a Simms supporter like myself.

Folks I've fished with have decent luck with the Bass Pro Osprey(?) waders considering the material and price point. I'm not sure on their sizing.

My Bass Pro waders lasted about 5 outings.

I have had Cabelas (gold label or gold medal) for about 6 years and they work great. Paid about 160 or so for them. Patched a small hole myself and they are still kicking. I don't get out every week but i don't treat them with kid gloves either. They have a stout size that fits well if you are bit heavier, etc... Mine fit me great and can't complain about price/quality. Borrowed a friends Freestones for an outing on the Salmon river years ago before my fly fishing adeventure began. They worked well for my outing and seemed to be good quality for a lower end of the spectrum.

A pair of Cabela's dry plus waders lasted me about 5 years of solid wear. They were heavily sealed by the end along the seams, but as a fat pig I probably put more wear in there than most people would.

Back