Vises

I really like my regal too. Can't see me getting any other vice for a long time

I have a Dyna King Barracuda and a Renzetti traveler and I use them both daily. Each has its place on my bench. I use the Renzetti for tying the small stuff and the Dyna King for the big stuff. The jaw design on the Renzetti is hard to beat but I enjoy tying on the Dyna King more for 2 reasons. 1) it has more room for big hands. 2) The rotary function is far superior to any vise I ever tied on.....period!

delta_dog wrote:
I enjoy tying on the Dyna King more for 2 reasons. 1) it has more room for big hands. 2) The rotary function is far superior to any vise I ever tied on.....period!

Agreed, I've had my barracuda for over 15yrs. Never had an issue, same jaws as when purchased. Just recently bought the midge jaws for it.

surprised nobody has mentioned the HMH Spartan. A great vise for the price.

Thank u much for all the input. Some good stuff and I feel like I have a starting point on what to look for.

Watched a few videos on rotary tying last night and it seems beneficial. When/If I decide to upgrade I will go in that direction as to have there if I ever want it but also to view the entire fly. Lifetime warranty is always important to me cause I am just really not a handy guy .. one of the worst and make the majority of my tribe look good. One post I have a question on is

“No other vice will hold a hook like a Regal. No adjustment”.

Right now, and I’ve only tied size 12, 14 & 16 … put the hook in and clamp the vise and I’m on my way. What do you me by "adjustment"?

When I was tying commercially and needed speed, my Regal couldn't be beat. Now that I tie just for the hell of it, I wouldn't trade my Peak for nothing.

delta_dog wrote:
I have a Dyna King Barracuda and a Renzetti traveler and I use them both daily. Each has its place on my bench. I use the Renzetti for tying the small stuff and the Dyna King for the big stuff. The jaw design on the Renzetti is hard to beat but I enjoy tying on the Dyna King more for 2 reasons. 1) it has more room for big hands. 2) The rotary function is far superior to any vise I ever tied on.....period!

/\/\/\Gear Junkie!/\/\/\ :lol:

Basically "adjustment" refers to how the hook is held....On my Peak vise it involves loosening or tightening of a nut with your fingers to change the distance of gap on the jaws. If you look at a picture of a Peak Vise directly in line with the jaws at the opposite end is a "lever". This "lever" closes the jaws and holds the hook. If you have a bigger hook this "lever" has to move farther so you move the nut up. If you have a smaller hook its the opposite.

This is not a mechanically perfect description but gives you a picture of what is meant by adjustment. IT IS REALLY SIMPLE TO DO and in my opinion should not persuade you one way or another as to which vise to buy

gfen is right...

I have both a regal and a renzetti. bought the regal first, then bought the renzetti traveler. I use the renzetti more, but the regal works fine too. I have no plans to get another vise, but if I did I'd probably get an HMH.

I upgraded from my crappy vise that came with a kit I bought to the danvise. I really like it, and I think I paid under $100 for it. It is true rotary and holds the largest and smallest hooks I use very well. The only issue I see with it is that the jaws can get a little crowded by the rest of the vise, so tying big long streamers can be tricky. But I don't do that very often anyway, so it rarely bothers me. There is actually an extension arm that you an buy to help with that problem.

I do use the rotary feature when wrapping materials, especially dubbing loops and peacock herl.

The notion of "what vise to buy" is always a fun topic, but it is definitely all based on experience/opinion. I made a recent post in another forum, and will share that here:

Determine your need for another vise and then make any adjustments accordingly. If a new vise is in order, and you know your spending limit (of $200), make a decision based on the type of fly you will be tying regularly.

The major ones discussed here make excellent vises, and have great reviews from many tyers. The other vise to include, in my opinion, is Stonfo.

Regarding Renzetti, I have tied on a Traveler for 20 years. I recommend this vise to everyone, and like the extras they offer. The Regal is another in that category, mainly because the holding power is incredible on all of their vises. I've seen jaws chip in both of these vises, and the most common reason was poor hook placement, thus I believe this could happen on the majority of vises with strong holding power. Purchasing either of these vises is a great decision.

A third one that I recently began tying on is the Stonfo Kaimen. The vise jaws are formed in a way that I can easily tie small (to 28) to large (6/0) flies with no adjustments. There is a gap in one jaw to allow those larger hooks a holding spot. The jaws offer rotary style when straight, and the movement is extremely smooth. The price point of the vise is right around $200, the quality appears excellent, and it's a brand-new vise in their series (which seems to improve every year). I am now tying on one, thus feel confident regarding the vise. I just received this about a month ago, so tough for me to say more @ this time, but here's a video of it I found online:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RygB-aCUf2g

With that said, if you ask 25 tyers which vise they like, you're sure to get about 15 different replies (I thought saying 25 would be too obvious!), thus try to tie on the vises first to get a feel for the style you're into.

Good luck!

TC

That Stonfo Kaiman looks like a nice piece of equipment!

Fly tying vises are one area of brand loyalty that can rival automobile brand loyalty. If you feel you must get a new vise try tying on as many as you can in your price range and decide which one YOU prefer. All vises mentioned are good quality but that doesn't mean you will find them be everything you want in a vise.
TC, that Stonfo looks like a beauty, real nice.

Kush;
I have the Renzetti Traveler. I'm very happy with it.

Want to thank u gents very much for all the advise and recs in this thread. I couldn't get to a shop so in the end & after more quick discussions with a few gents here I wanted to treat myself and didn't go over $200.

20140412_175325_zpsd717bb91.jpg

Have had work and holiday + heading out of dodge w/ family tomorrow but tied a few on Sat when it came in and just holding the hook was a big difference. Excited to work this thing in when I get back on Sunday.

Nice! What kind is that? Looks fancy.

Back