Videographers on the Stream

S

Sylvaneous

With so many people being the stars of their own YouTube shows, how many of you have come across videographers documenting how they are living their best life, and how you can too by following their lead.?

I have learned more from some very gifted "Tully Regulars" who have since passed on than any genius filming pegged bead techniques

I give any videographer credit for attempting these projects. It's a lot of work to plan, record, catch fish, edit and then upload these videos. Most anglers do this because they enjoy sharing with others. Well there is all the money that can be made too...ha.

The are a few people on Paflyfish that do some videos. I think @mute does one on YouTube called Fishy Intentions ? There are many others discussed Pa Woods and Water, The Ranting Angler, and Allegheny Native to name a few that I follow. But when I just looked on YouTube there seems to be dozens.

There is usually some good insight and entertainment to watching some of the videos. I always enjoy hearing from other anglers.

I haven't ever come across any recording and don't image it would bother me of they were.

I had 2 guys pull off the road and park right behind me along the Madison River a few miles inside Yellowstone National Park one fall day several years ago. I’m not exactly sure what they were filming but they spent quite a bit of time getting their camera gear set up before they waded across the lower end of the pool that I was going to fish (wearing shorts and wading shoes) and then they made their way into the thick trees and brush that line the bank there, and they disappeared into the thicket. From what I could see, neither of them carried any bear spray, and they were more intent on making sure all of their camera gear and filming equipment was in hand.

As that is prime grizzly territory, not to mention the other wild animals that you might stumble onto in that thick growth or trees, that’s pretty risky to into that place in any circumstances, and more so without always carrying bear spray. There’s a name given to people like them, and it’s not movie or film makers, it’s Tourons - tourists who are morons.

Unfortunately, there are 1000’s of tourons out there on the road and around us every day. Fortunately, I was still there a couple hours later when those two guys made it back to their vehicle, not looking much the worse for their filming experience. (Another guy who went into the woods just a few miles from there a couple years ago, who was planning on doing some photographing and fly fishing, was severely mauled by a grizzly, and later died. - https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/19/us/grizzly-bear-attack-yellowstone.html. )

Last edited:
I had 2 guys pull off the road and park right behind me along the Madison River a few miles inside Yellowstone National Park one fall day several years ago. I’m not exactly sure what they were filming but they spent quite a bit of time getting their camera gear set up before they waded across the lower end of the pool that I was going to fish (wearing shorts and wading shoes) and then they made their way into the thick trees and brush that line the bank there, and they disappeared into the thicket. From what I could see, neither of them carried any bear spray, and they were more intent on making sure all of their camera gear and filming equipment was in hand.

As that is prime grizzly territory, not to mention the other wild animals that you might stumble onto in that thick growth or trees, that’s pretty risky to into that place in any circumstances, and more so without always carrying bear spray. There’s a name given to people like them, and it’s not movie or film makers, it’s Tourons - tourists who are morons.

Unfortunately, there are 1000’s of tourons out there on the road and around us every day. Fortunately, I was still there a couple hours later when those two guys made it back to their vehicle a couple hours later, not looking much the worse for their filming experience. (Another guy who went into the woods just a few miles from there a couple years ago, who was planning on doing some photographing and fly fishing, was severely mauled by a grizzly, and later died.)

Its shocking to me that everyone doesnt carry there considering you dont even need a permit. Bear spray my rear, smith and wesson please

Unfortunately, there are 1000’s of tourons out there on the road and around us every day. Fortunately, I was still there a couple hours later when those two guys made it back to their vehicle a couple hours later, not looking much the worse for their filming experience. (Another guy who went into the woods just a few miles from there a couple years ago, who was planning on doing some photographing and fly fishing, was severely mauled by a grizzly, and later died.)
If u take Elsa Dutton with u in Montana BackCountry....
....be assured...u r gonna b alright!!
btw..."Tourons"....first time I have heard of that one...accurate indeed!!

To each their own, I suppose. For some videography is a way to earn a living while for others it may just be a way to stroke the ego. The reasons people choose to document their stream time with video are almost limitless. Personally speaking, stream time for me is cherished. As soon as I step into the water the phone goes on "Do Not Disturb" and I try to focus on being in the moment. There are so many distractions in life that being able to connect with nature and focus on the task at hand truly is a blessing. The last thing I want to be doing is setting up a tripod or flying a drone to get that "perfect shot". YMMV...

I don't personally take videos while fishing often, maybe if my buddy is fighting a big fish or if there's some downtime I might take a quick video. I do like pictures though. I appreciate the videography of Wild Fly, Tight Loops, Allegheny Native, Hardman, etc. Those guys put in so much effort to tell a story of a trip, fishery, etc.

The funniest instance I've had is someone carrying a tripod/camera down the trail to Penns Creek. I guess some youtuber thought it would be a good idea to post up at a pool for a while and film it. I've ran into some guys on Valley doing the same thing.

Not for me, I rather focus on the fish and stay present in the moment. A couple pictures is my usual, just to share with my Dad and friends.

I've never seen anyone on the stream doing this. It wouldn't bug me even if I did.

I'm sure some people are jerks, but all of the FF YouTubers I watch respect the waters they fish, and many of them share good content that is more in the educational realm than just relentlessly pounding the stream. I enjoy watching their content - especially during periods when I can't get on the water myself.

I have never seen anyone filming themselves on a stream, and I hope that I never do.

To each their own, however. I am pretty anti-social media. I share very, very little....except of PAFF, if this counts as social media...

I've never encountered anybody filming streamside. In fact, it's a very rare day when I encounter anybody at all on any of the streams I fish. I like that a lot. ;)

There are a few YouTube fishermen that I do enjoy watching. Wooly Bugged and Hardman to name a couple.

I shared this before on another thread, but I’ve had several encounters with the “YouTuber” crowd. Mostly while ice fishing, but once while fly fishing. Twice it’s been a semi local fella that really doesn’t understand common courtesy and likes to crowd you. I really wouldn’t mind someone actually doing videography and making a quality product, and if I encounter such on the stream, I’d more than likely go out of my way to not intrude on what they are doing.

However the YouTuber with the go pro strapped to his head and chest fishing close enough that I can hear your constant play by play narration, really grinds my gears. You can’t approach this people, because they are constantly filming and looking for an altercation. That just gets them more views.

I have a solution if it ever happens again, I’ll just play music loudly on my phone. YouTube will pull the video for copyright infringement.

I never encountered it, thank goodness because I DO NOT take kindly to someone putting their pleasure over mine when I am fishing....

I don't want to go through all the things I have done in retaliation but shoving people in creeks & throwing rocks where they are fishing are a few of the less confrontational....

Last edited:
A few years ago, I ran into a couple of the Lively Legz guys on a fairly remote wild Trout stream on a relatively warm, but rainy day in February. The stream is reasonably well known by the small stream crowd, but, it’s still not the type of place you figure to run into anyone, nonetheless, on a rainy day in Winter.

Stopped and talked to them. Every bit as nice as they seem in the videos. Chatted a bit and landed on a plan to divide up the water so we wouldn’t be stepping on each other’s toes. They’d fish up to a certain landmark, and my buddy and I would hike up to that landmark (on a trail away from the stream) and not start fishing until we were above it. We had a lights out (for Winter) day. I assume they probably did too, though their vehicle was gone when we got back. I don’t think they were filming that day, just fishing, but either way, they were just really nice guys. Not jerks at all. And their videos are all, at least in part, advertising for the online store outfit. Imagine the blasphemy!

Some of you guys need to lighten up and focus on enjoying your own time on the water. I will never understand how much what OTHER people do to enjoy their fishing time bothers FFers.

You ever watch these videos and see that scene when they are doing a stationary camera shot of them walking up the trail towards the camera, then passing the camera, and then continuing onwards out of the shot and wonder how it feels to stage a walk on a trail or how many takes they did to get the perfect trail walk and how many times they rewatched themselves walking up the trail to check if it looked good because, god, I live for seeing that and my faith in the intellectual prowess of humanity is replenished fully and completely each time.

You ever watch these videos and see that scene when they are doing a stationary camera shot of them walking up the trail towards the camera, then passing the camera, and then continuing onwards out of the shot and wonder how it feels to stage a walk on a trail or how many takes they did to get the perfect trail walk and how many times they rewatched themselves walking up the trail to check if it looked good because, god, I live for seeing that and my faith in the intellectual prowess of humanity is replenished fully and completely each time.

I have! I never have enough time to fish and i always think man if i filmed it would take 17 times longer! To each their own and no hate towards anyone who is enjoying themselves, but that just aint my idea of a fun day. I am more of the mind to forget about life when out on the water, its a great and necessary escape for me!!

Back