Vest Recommendation

Serve

Serve

Is a vest necessary? I see lots of guys wearing them. Any recommendation or feedback would be appreciated.

A vest, a chestpack, a sling pack, or something I would say is absolutely necessary. If you're just starting out there is no need to spend much. You will probably start off carrying a smaller selection of mostly generic flies anyways. I still fish those same generic patterns with slight differences 99% of the time anyways. You can probably find a cheap vest at Walmart, ****s, etc and it would be more than enough to hold a few boxes of flies, some tippet, a pair of fingernail clippers, hemostats/tiny pliers, etc. I don't live very far from you. I probably have an old vest that you can have. And I can probably donate you a box or two of flies. Just let me know what you'll mainly be fishing for and I'll tie accordingly.

I’d be happy to give you a few bucks for the vest and flies. I will be primarily nymphing at Spring Creek.

Thanks,

EG

Scored a great deal on an Orvis vest at Flyfishers Paradise. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have vests and numerous vest packs. I use the Simms Guide vest in orange for my steelhead fishing. It is used in cooler weather so I don't get over heated by wearing it. Bust most importantly, it is bright orange so fishing in hunting season is a bit less risky. That vest like most Simms products is well made and very functional with great storage.

Now my main trout storage is a Fishpond Waterdance lumbar/chest pack. I use this in summer so it doesn't overheat me like a vest wood. I carry a ton of stuff in it and it is a very nice pack for $100.

I Leo have a Fishpond Savage Creek chest pack that I use when I use spinning rods which is not a lot. It doesn't store a huge amount but does fine with a box of lures and some limited flies (eggs/buggers/San Juan worms/etc).

I don't need to change boxes around by using 3 units. If I were to only have one, I would go with the Fishpond Waterdance Guide pack. For $100 it is well made and meets all my needs.

Suggest that you place from the store, empty fly boxes, spools of thread, etc., and similate what you expect to carry on the river. Be surprised how fast the next size vest is best.

Back