Valley Creek Small Trout

Valley Ck has the worst possible combination of variables that produce small fish...degraded habitat from stormwater, greatly reducing habitat for larger fish, C&R regs, and a limestone stream, which when a bottleneck occurs in the population length distribution, is fertile enough to support a large number of competing (smaller) fish at the bottleneck.

Considering the ongoing volume of posts re Valley Creek (especially Stream Reports) , would it be appropriate to have a dedicated forum category on this site so we can better detail and take advantage of this resource ? There are 100s of trout creeks in PA, but Valley Seems to have an seriously inordinate volume of posts.

I'm not saying the volume is or isn't appropriate, just that maybe a focused way of documenting it would be of assistance and also allow better communicating about the creek it as well.

springer1 wrote:
Considering the ongoing volume of posts re Valley Creek (especially Stream Reports) , would it be appropriate to have a dedicated forum category on this site so we can better detail and take advantage of this resource ? There are 100s of trout creeks in PA, but Valley Seems to have an seriously inordinate volume of posts.

I'm not saying the volume is or isn't appropriate, just that maybe a focused way of documenting it would be of assistance and also allow better communicating about the creek it as well.

What kind of additional detail or documentation are you looking for? If you want to know more about the issues with the stream itself and iit's history of abuse & repair, I'd suggest the VFTU site.

Who me? ..... I’m not looking for info - been fishing various SEPA creeks for 55 yrs. But from the volume of posts in the various categories, many other people are, seems to be a faavorite here. The volume of posts re Valley far exceeds any other water, right?

springer1 wrote:
Who me? ..... I’m not looking for info - been fishing various SEPA creeks for 55 yrs. But from the volume of posts in the various categories, many other people are, seems to be a faavorite here. The volume of posts re Valley far exceeds any other water, right?

Valley Creek is posted about quite a lot on here, especially this time of year, but that shouldn't be much of a surprise. It's the only Class A wild trout stream near Philly, close to several million residents and several hundred thousand licensed anglers. Plus in March, when all the stocked streams are closed to fishing, it's one of the few close-by options for trout fishing in the area.

There are a hand-full of streams in the suburbs that support wild trout, but they are generally fairly small streams, with mainly spotty trout populations, and all flow almost entirely through private property; while Valley flows through the middle of a national park. The park sees close to 2 million visitors per year, with an estimated 90% being local residents.

If anyone feels Valley is their secret spot....it aint.

:-?

Mike:

How does catch and release contribute to smaller fish?

Fished Valley Creek for a few hours this afternoon and only caught 2, but they were definitely of decent size. One was 13 inches (taped it) and the other was probably about 10 inches. There were tons of fish rising and I could see a bunch of the little guys, but I guess some of the big boys have come out to play as the water warms and the insects start hatching.

Back