Valley Creek Risers

drewshu

drewshu

Hey Folks,

With the water temps being high at the Tulley, I decided to check out Valley Creek on Friday, the first time i've been back in nearly 3 years. It has really changed. You are no longer able to park down at the steel bridge area, instead, I parked up above in the new lot off of Library road and walked down. I hiked down to the horse crossing and worked my way upstream to the hole at the bend. Lots of risers through this small stretch and was there between 10AM-2PM. Temps were roughly 63-64 degrees. I had a few take a look a small size 22 griffiths gnat but otherwise I could not get any of them to strike. I tried nearly every dry i had. BWO, gnats, midges, ants, sulphurs, caddis. I tried to stay small as the only thing i really saw on the water were tiny BWO's and small white midges.

It's always humbling when i go back to Valley Creek. I'd love to return as it's so close to my home but days like this are discouraging. I must be missing something. Perhaps my fly selection or time of day? The trout here are spooky so I was careful not to scare them. Would love some tips or ideas if you guys have any!

Respectfully and despite your recorded temps, my first tip would be to avoid fishing Valley after 10am at present time. These fish are too precious.
My best of days are when water temps are lower and flows are higher. I try to hit Valley soon after a storm, just when the stream is on the decline. She can drop rather quickly, so it's all about timing. A #16 Parachute Adams paired with a #20/22 Black Zebra Midge dropper finds most takes on the midge. My own "Valley Green" #12 streamer pattern has brought some of the bigger boys out and to the net. When the water is higher and stained I've caught the bigger boys dead-center, not just bank right or left.

MeBugSlinger wrote:
Respectfully and despite your recorded temps, my first tip would be to avoid fishing Valley after 10am at present time. These fish are too precious.
My best of days are when water temps are lower and flows are higher. I try to hit Valley soon after a storm, just when the stream is on the decline. She can drop rather quickly, so it's all about timing. A #16 Parachute Adams paired with a #20/22 Black Zebra Midge dropper finds most takes on the midge. My own "Valley Green" #12 streamer pattern has brought some of the bigger boys out and to the net. When the water is higher and stained I've caught the bigger boys dead-center, not just bank right or left.

Good advice to give Valley a break with the high summer temps.

But also note that with any decent rainstorm, the runoff flows directly into the stream and actually warms the water. Check out the graph below and notice as the flow is increased, so do the stream temps >

Attachments

• Valley Flow.jpg
    Valley Flow.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Valley Temp .jpg
    Valley Temp .jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 3
If the fish were rising very consistently, indicating that the water was full of small bugs that you couldn’t see, spend a little time with a fine mesh seine in the creek. Just get below the fish where you won’t spook them and see what is in the film. Once you have this info it will get much easier. Prioritizing scouting over fishing for 20-30 minutes will pay dividends for years. Seine can be 12”x12” or maybe 18” wide x 12”

My hit to hook up ratio at valley creek is terrible I have a lot of luck getting hits on BWOs but I swear I can only hook 1 out of 10 hits. Any other stream and the ratio goes way up.

Valley Creek gets A LOT of pressure, its so close to Philadelphia that its a "home stream" to many. Fly presentation is probably the biggest thing, followed by selection. The trout have probably seen just about every fly you can think of.

When I first started fishing it a while back, I was happy to catch a few fish. As you gain experience with presentation, fly selection, and knowing when to fish, you may see some changes.

During the summer, it can be tricky to fish because like others have stated the rain we get in the summer typically warms the creek. I highly recommend for the sake of the trout, that you are cognizant of the water temperature. There has been a few days recently where the water has been close to 70F.

afishinado wrote:
MeBugSlinger wrote:

But also note that with any decent rainstorm, the runoff flows directly into the stream and actually warms the water. Check out the graph below and notice as the flow is increased, so do the stream temps >

Very interesting.

If those fish were midging, a #22 griffiths gnat would have been a little large.
I often have to go down to #24 and #26 to get takes

I saw no mention of your tippet size.
With teensy flies in low clear water, going to 6x can make a difference.

But in conditions like that at this time of year, my first choice would be a beetle. In smaller sizes like #16 and even #18.
These are like candy to trout during summer IMO

This is what I was thinking, everything I had was too big for what they were munching on. I'll give the tiny flies a shot in the 24-26 range. as well as some beetles. thank you.

7x tippet, 9 ft.

and yes, i am always mindful of water temps (it's why i've avoided the tulley and visited valley on this particular day). thank you all for the reinforcement.

dryflyguy wrote:
If those fish were midging, a #22 griffiths gnat would have been a little large.
I often have to go down to #24 and #26 to get takes

I saw no mention of your tippet size.
With teensy flies in low clear water, going to 6x can make a difference.

But in conditions like that at this time of year, my first choice would be a beetle. In smaller sizes like #16 and even #18.
These are like candy to trout during summer IMO

tjsingle wrote:
Valley Creek gets A LOT of pressure, its so close to Philadelphia that its a "home stream" to many. Fly presentation is probably the biggest thing, followed by selection. The trout have probably seen just about every fly you can think of.

When I first started fishing it a while back, I was happy to catch a few fish. As you gain experience with presentation, fly selection, and knowing when to fish, you may see some changes.

During the summer, it can be tricky to fish because like others have stated the rain we get in the summer typically warms the creek. I highly recommend for the sake of the trout, that you are cognizant of the water temperature. There has been a few days recently where the water has been close to 70F.

Great tips! Thanks.

Fascinating!

afishinado wrote:
MeBugSlinger wrote:

yes! I use a 5 gallon paint strainer and just stick it on my net (which i didn't have with me unfortunately, left it at home). would have been helpful.

Prospector wrote:
If the fish were rising very consistently, indicating that the water was full of small bugs that you couldn’t see, spend a little time with a fine mesh seine in the creek. Just get below the fish where you won’t spook them and see what is in the film. Once you have this info it will get much easier. Prioritizing scouting over fishing for 20-30 minutes will pay dividends for years. Seine can be 12”x12” or maybe 18” wide x 12”

Given the temps were fine and the flows were fine, why not fish after 10AM ET? Genuinely curious what would prevent you from fishing under good conditions midday.

MeBugSlinger wrote:

chadm wrote:
My hit to hook up ratio at valley creek is terrible I have a lot of luck getting hits on BWOs but I swear I can only hook 1 out of 10 hits. Any other stream and the ratio goes way up.

I see you are from Chester Co. Do you ever fish local?

I live 5 minutes from valley creek so fish there often if I only have a little time. I hit other local streams if more time is available but I have a 1 year old so time is not something I have much of.

Any concern about 63-64 deg F water temps is unwarranted. Carry on!

Back