UV Epoxy

what's wrong with good old 2-part devcon5?
i have used it for many years with great results. one application and you are done.
i have used almost every light curing adhesive listed.
except the original UV Knot Sense, they all need a second coat of something. not very efficient in my mind
i resort to L.C.A, only when i'm tying something that takes a "drop" pf epoxy - like a poxyback nymph, juju nymph or some cress bugs.
otherwise i use epoxy and my drying wheel. nothing gives as good of a finish in my hands. i guess that is the point. with the light curing adhesives, the glue dries in an instant when hit with the light - no matter where it is on the fly
the epoxy spins on the wheel with the fly and allows a smooth finish.
i tie dozens of tarpon flies, crabs and bonefish flies each year and the epoxy is far superior than the L.C.A's for those applications.

I talked to one the featured tyers at Somerset and he said to save the money and dont buy the clear cure goo. I instructed me to get a small loon UV pocket flashlight and to use Rio UV Knot Sealer. They actually had both items in one package at Bears Den for $17. I love it so far. It dries almost instantly. Plus, Sierra Trading had the Rio UV on clearance for $2.36 a tube. I stocked up on a bunch of it. It actually just arrived today.

Franklin,
It is probably better to ship in the cold vs warmer weather I try to store my goo's in the freezer it results in better shelf life.

I bought the Rio stuff. It is the same as the Loon, but doesn't 'dry' hard and smooth. I wouldn't get it again. Loon is the same thing, same price, only better. It does everything I want it to. I've been using UV Knot-Sense for 2 years and have no interest in switching. It is available in 2 oz bottles with a needle tip for detailed work.

I only really use it on Clousers lead eyes so they don't get so busted up by rocks. I also use a small layer at the bottom of slit soft foam poppers.

Syl

Cuz it sux, is wasteful, turns yellow and gets everywhere.

i don't have those problems. i guess you just don't know how or aren't coordinated enough to use it :)

CRB wrote:
Franklin,
It is probably better to ship in the cold vs warmer weather I try to store my goo's in the freezer it results in better shelf life.

I checked with our mechanical engineering manager and he suggests that many epoxies should not be shipped/stored below 40 deg F. As I was talking to him he pulled out the spec sheets for some industrial UV curable we use and it had a minimum storage temperature of 40 F. He says some of the resins can crystallize below that. Some of them you can heat up above 120 F and restore, others you can't. Keep in mind this is UV curable and two part epoxies are talking about. Not other coatings/adhesives.

Back