UV Epoxy

GRP

GRP

At the Somerset show I saw a tier using UV epoxy (Clear Cure Goo). I've tied with epoxy before because I was turned off by the lengthy drying time needed and you either needed a drying wheel or to spin the fly in the vise until the epoxy has set. However, with this uv epoxy, it appears to me you apply the epoxy where you want it, hit it with the UV light, and it is cured in a matter of seconds. Anyone care to give this epoxy beginner some insight into how to actually use these UV epoxies? Also, what brand is everybody using? It appears that the main cost is in the start-up - getting the UV light. Once you have that you just need to keep getting epoxy when you run out. Am I correct in this assumption?

That's pretty much it. I've used Loon's UV Knot Sense for years as an epoxy sub, because it's so convenient and quick. The Loon stuff dries kinda slimy when you use the uv light - I have the mini light they sell, and it chews up those hearing aid batteries really quick.

I bought the Bug Bond uv light at Somerset. It takes 3 AAA bateries, and is soooo much better! The Loon Knot Sense still doesn't dry 100%, but it's close. Guess I'll have to break down and shell out the $23 for a bottle of the Bug Bond stuff at the Valley Forge show.

The uv "epoxy" doesn't harden until you hit it with a uv light source (or sunlight) - it's easy to work it around with a bodkin to where you want it, then blast it with the light. I overcoat it with a thin coat of Sally Hansens, which takes care of any "slimyness" thats left. The tack-free stuff should eliminate that step.

Bug Bond

yep, I would rather wait for the stuff I use to dry though. Just can't see paying for that light..

Hey Bob - Have you tried this stuff yet? Supposed to be the same as Liquid Fusion. You can thin it 50/50 with water to make head cement, too.

I bought a bottle at Wally World last night ($5), and tried it out. It shrinks a lot more than epoxy, and dries pretty well after 2 hours, or so. I like the no mixing deal compared to epoxy.

better quality materials make for better quality flies...

I have been using the Clear Cure Goo for a few years and really like it. Far better than epoxy, where you have to mix a batch, apply, and then wait for it to dry. Then you are left with a nasty yellow finish and a lot of waste.

With the CCG you can put some on a card, apply the needed amount with a bodkin, cure it with the light (under 5 sec), and then repeat... the Goo on the card will no cure until you shine the light on it (or exposed to direct sunlight). Then a quick brush of sally hansen (unless you are using the tack-free), and you're good. SUPER CLEAR.

I have a good amount of the different Goos and really like them all... flexible and the brushable are great

I saw some great Goo creations at somerset

if you go to the CCG website, there are some great videos

Thanks for all the good replies. Ramcatt, that is the product I saw at the show and am definitely thinking about getting. I was worried about the syringe dispensers, but your method makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

i use the syringes for larger applications.... applying on streamers and building heads. The curved applicator tips are nice for working the Goo into materials.

but for smaller applications... use a bodkin

They also sell the bottles with the brush applicator which appears to have its place as well. But squeezing the syringe out onto whatever and then working onto the fly with a bodkin makes perfect sense, probably why I didn't think of it myself.

Ramcatt - Does the "tack free" stuff hold up as well as the thick stuff/Sally Hansens, and is it really tack free? That seems to be the way to go, as a timesaver...

Rio's UV Knot stuff is around $1.50 on Sierra Trading Post right now with appropriate coupons, etc.

the rio is supposed to be very thin and a pain to cure
(maybe why its on STP)

Here is a good comparison....

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17908

Haven't tried it yet, far drive just to go to wally world. will have to get some. try the gelle's in clear works great and no mixing/light. doesn't shrink and stays what i call (chewy) soft. I'll have to do some flies with it in the future.

I do a lot of saltwater and recently switched from epoxy to Tuff Fleye.
It is easier to work with than epoxy since you aren't under a time limit for curing.

sandfly wrote:
Haven't tried it yet, far drive just to go to wally world. will have to get some. try the gelle's in clear works great and no mixing/light. doesn't shrink and stays what i call (chewy) soft. I'll have to do some flies with it in the future.

I have never seen the Gellies clear in _any_ craft or big box store, and I've looked in alot since you posted it up about six months ago.

Anyone know what the difference is (if any) between Loon Knot and Wader?

Wader Repair is for breathable materials, Knot Sense isn't? I always thought that was the big difference.

jdaddy wrote:
Anyone know what the difference is (if any) between Loon Knot and Wader?

Just looked on Loon's site. They now have a UV fly finish, UV boat repair and a UV fly paint in several colors.

http://www.loonoutdoors.com/uvcure.html

Hard Head Fly Finish - OF-900064-0000
by: Loon Outdoors

A water-based polyurethane formula for building colorful glossy heads and bodies on your favorite fly patterns. One component, low odor, replaces messy epoxies in many applications. Featured in saltwa... More >

Has anyone tried this ???? Found this on J Stockard.

harry wrote:
Hard Head Fly Finish - OF-900064-0000
by: Loon Outdoors

A water-based polyurethane formula for building colorful glossy heads and bodies on your favorite fly patterns. One component, low odor, replaces messy epoxies in many applications. Featured in saltwa... More >

Has anyone tried this ???? Found this on J Stockard.

One of these?

http://www.loonoutdoors.com/flytying.html

BTW I'm not sure which of these can be exposed to low temperatures. I don't mail order this type of item unless I'm sure it can sit in my mailbox at below freezing temps.

Gfen
try this: http://www.hofcraft.com/duncan-tulip-fabric-paint.html

another creative idea; http://kawaiifrenzy.com/Blog/2009/12/tulip-gellies-as-decosauce/

Back