Using a daypack/ fishing backpack

Reread this thread since it came up again. Since my initial response (in early 2016), I did buy the LLBean Kennebec pack shortly thereafter. A roughly 15-20L traditional backpack with some modest vest like pockets on the front straps. It's become my Holy Grail of packs, and well worth the $150 or so spent on it. I am completely happy with it. I've never been able to say that about a pack before...They all had compromises, but this one is perfect, for me. I've used it on every fishing outing I've been on since I've bought it. Haven't used anything else since.

Can keep a jacket/extra layer, lunch, and plenty of water in the backpack, easy. Have even done some cold weather hot lunches with a fuel canister and mini jet stove in there too. Front pockets aren't huge, but there's enough room to keep the essentials up front, and avoid the need to get into the backpack for fly changes or general leader adjustments. Up front I usually keep a fly box or at times two, tippet, shot, floatant, camera, phone, and a granola or candy bar or two. Had it 3+ years at this point, and the material is tough and holding up well, with many small stream excursions logged with it. All zippers are original and still functioning properly.

The pockets are able to be removed from the front of the pack and zippered to the back portion, but I've never felt the need. They're fine and not in the way up front, whether you're hiking or fishing.

BEST feature by far is the legit waist belt. Cinch that and you feel zero weight on your shoulders. If you're looking into a backpack as a fishing pack, the waist belt is the most important thing to consider IMO.

LLBean Kennebec Pack

I use a FishPond Thunderhead Submersible Backpack. Love it for day trips where I will not be near my car for an extended period of time - can fit extra clothes, plenty of fly boxes, food, wading jacket, and an extra rod on it too, plus I don't have to worry about anything getting wet. I still have an Oxbow Chest/backpack as well, but the backpack is too small for a full day ordeal in my opinion. I took the chest pack and put it on the front of the Thunderhead pack though as all of the chest packs at Fishpond fit into their backpacks. Additionally, just ordered their new Cross-Current chest pack for lesser trips where my car is nearby - needed to downgrade as I felt a little ridiculous taking the whole backpack and chestpack on small stream excursions. Fishpond ain't cheap though...but the quality in my opinion is unparalleled. I had originally bought a no-brand (I think?) copy of an oxbow chest pack/backpack at a fly fishing show...and it had come apart at the seams after a month or two of hard use.

Back