Using a daypack/ fishing backpack

Was wondering if anyone has used any of the unbranded slings & packs I see being sold on Ebay. Some have names like Allen, Maxcatch and some don't but they're pretty cheap.

Had a cheap $20 Eddie Bauer that lasted a season or two then started coming apart at the seams. For $20 I suppose that’s a reasonable life expectancy.

Some of the military style “tactical” (to use a trendy PAFF word) ones are pretty solid build wise. Not fishing packs specifically, but they work well in that regard. Check out Condor or Maxpedition. They’re modular style so you can add accessory pouches, etc as you see fit. I have a Condor and like it as far as slings go...It just isn’t big enough for all day hike in type stuff and rides a little low for fishing bigger water – why I’m back in the market for a backpack, with front storage. These are probably $75-$100 range options FWIW.

I have yet to land on the perfect setup for fishing and hiking, but I've tried a number of different pieces of gear or combos of gear over the years.

It's the rare vendor that effectively combines the best of a backpack (good waist belt, padding, adjustable, air flow) with a fishing offering and so for anything that is a full day or longer, I use a hiking backpack and a small fishing chest pack. I have not found a fishing pack yet that allows me to carry enough stuff for an overnight outing, even if I pack ultra-light. The William Joseph Exodus looked like a winner and I bought it based on advertised size of 3000+ cubic inches. But when it arrived, it clearly fell far short of that size and the vendor confirmed via email that the size was a typo. It still works well for an all day trip and I dusted it off and used it again a few times this past fall.

I have a few GoLite Jam ultra-light backpacks that I use for all day trips and they also worked for an overnight trip too. The problem with them, especially for overnight, was they didn't fit my torso and waist properly and weren't adjustable, so I went back to my old standby vendor for packs which is Gregory. Then I carry a small chest pack, generally large enough to hold a couple of fly boxes, tippet, hemostats and some shot. If I'm overnight backpacking, I can drop the main pack at my camping spot for the night and continue fishing upstream without a lot of extra weight.

I have a few of the William Joseph chest packs as well - Coastal, Coastal II, Confluence, etc. Each is ok, but I end up going back to the backpack and small chest pack combo as my preferred setup for anything longer than a few hours.

I recently picked up a Patagonia Hybrid Pack Vest on half-price closeout and I really like it so far. It encourages me to pack sparsely, but has enough room to carry everything I really need on a one day trip if I make wise choices about what I'm carrying (I don't really need to carry four fly boxes!). I've only used it once in the dead of winter, so maybe my opinion will change in the heat of summer, but it is not bulky and doesn't have junk hanging off it everywhere. I didn't catch on trees as I ducked under them or get caught on trees a I climbed over them. The only thing I don't like is that it is a bland one-tone light color, which seems like it would be pretty easy for a trout eye to pick up as it moves towards them. A nice tactical camo would be perfect :)

Packs, vests, or whatever you use to carry your gear and clothes and food and drink while on the stream end up being a personal preference. You'll end up collecting a few most likely until you figure out what your preference is.

I went to Gander Mountain and Dicks yesterday to check some out in person. I liked the way a sling feels but I think a net would be tough to use and I do like using a net most of the time. Far easier in the C&R-photo process, for me at least.

I ended up picking up a Northface day pack at Gander Mountain on clearance for $40. It has the chest straps, waist straps, and elastic cords in the front that can hold my net in place when I'm not using it. I'm going to try to work with this and see how I like it.

I've been through the sling packs to include patagonia and orvis, and also Umpqua hip packs and a feather craft hip pack.
They don't seem to distribute weight very well and I'm half bent over by the end of a three day trip. I also end up dipping my gear when wading deep.
Last year I bought an Umpqua Swiftwater. Not the new one. I really like it so far. Best of a back pack and nothing swinging around in the front. Everything is tight to your body when plenty of storage.

724...nets easy with the smithcreek holder! its actually better than dangling off your back! The sling holds it down. If you load really heavy it can be goofy at times to get situated.

troutpoop, dumb question I'm sure...but if you're dunking a sling how are you not dumping the swiftwater? The sling you can rotate up enough when crossing atleast to stay dry.

I use the Cabela's Deluxe Whitetail pack for my fishing excursions. It's very adjustable and comfortable, with a ton of room for everything you might need to bring for an all day fishing trip. It comes with a bladder as well. I like the leather bottom for durability. I think it was around $100.

Attachments

• IMG_3115 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_3115 (Custom).JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 6
The Swiftwater vest seems ride a bit higher. My slings packs, both orvis and patagonia were hanging down below waist level at the bottem. I could have hiked them up but then they went all up under my arms pits.
I do like some of the features on the slings though. Vest, sling, pack, I think its a personal decision what fits each fisherman and what he/she is comfortable with.

Like salmonoid, I use a backpack and small chest pack for the predawn to dark thirty kind of day. Sometimes I use a lanyard rather than the chest pack. This system work well for me.

Just a update on this... I've been out four times with my Northface daypack set up. I added a cheap camo field line zip up pouch thing I bought at Walmart to the left side of my waist strap. It was intended to go on your belt and its big enough to hold a fly box, floatant, and my split shot. I put a tippet holder on the right side of my waist strap. Zingers on the chest straps for snips and hemostats. All my other random stuff in the backpack. My net is attached to the hanging loop on top and I keep the net in the elastic cords on the front when I'm not using it.

I love this set up. Best idea I've brainstormed in a while and it came out to around $50. I could carry 10 water bottles and a hoagie and I doubt it'd make too much of a difference to me haha. If only I could get pics from my phone to here I would share.

Since were on the subject and I dont wanna make a new thread, has anyone use a Simms Headwaters full day pack?

http://www.simmsfishing.com/headwaters-full-day-pack.html

Ive been talking about wanting to do more overnight hiking/camping/fishing trips once it warms up and this might fit the bill for those trips.

My current sling pack is roughly 700cu in, this pack is over 1800cu in.

All the gear I use on a day hike fits in the sling pack perfectly fine. The only gear I would be adding for an overnight trip would be a change of clothes, more food, and a hammock.

Id imagine the Simms full day pack would fit the bill well.

steveo27 wrote:
Since were on the subject and I dont wanna make a new thread, has anyone use a Simms Headwaters full day pack?

Ive been talking about wanting to do more overnight hiking/camping/fishing trips once it warms up and this might fit the bill for those trips.

All the gear I use on a day hike fits in the sling pack perfectly fine. The only gear I would be adding for an overnight trip would be a change of clothes, more food, and a hammock.

I got one for the same reason, overnight trips. It will fit the bill if you can pack lightly.

http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-cache/semi-annual-sale-fly-fishing/SMM000M-LEA

Get it on the cheap. Also, pick up the chest pack as well. Might as well do it right.

http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-cache/semi-annual-sale-fly-fishing/SMM000X-LEA

"I added a cheap camo field line zip up pouch thing" any more detail you can add on that item ? I might be interested in the same thing.

henrydavid wrote: I might be interested in the same thing.

I looked on Walmarts website for you but could not find it. If you search "belt pouch" or "camera belt pouch" on Amazon or eBay you'll find a whole bunch of different styles and sizes.

ebay

That one looks better than what I'm using now. I might have to look into switching to that myself.

steveo27 wrote:

It all depends on how you fish and camp. With a single overnight, you might get away with 30L of storage, if you pack super sparse. And if it is warm, with no threat of rain, changing clothes is optional. If I am camping alone, there is no one to split common gear with, and I also will often carry an 8wt for night time encounters. So, for me, anything under 50L is tight.

Look at the waist belt too. You won't amass a ton of weight in a 30L pack, but that waist belt is not designed to efficiently transfer pack weight to your hips. It's primary purpose is to keep the pack from flopping around. So depending on the distance you ate hiking, you might end up with really sore shoulders and back.

AKDan76, how's that Gigapower been treating you? I've been eyeballing one, but no local places carry them. I've heard they're more efficient than the MSR stoves.

I carry food for my dog, water for both of us, all the extra gear I could need, survival, first aid, and a firearm in my Simms pack, plus I have a Fishpond guise hip pack full of 300+ tungsten bead flies, articulated streamers, you name it I carry it. Sometimes it’s annoying to carry so much, but it’s well worth it in my opinion. I don’t have any back issues after 8+ hours on the river, honestly I have less using this gear combination vs a Simms vest with less gear.

Also I fish 3-5 times a week to give you an idea of how much I use my gear. I grabbed last years model of backpack for real cheap. The new Simms backpack is really nice, but it’s also slightly larger then my bag. It’s basically a smaller camping backpack.

I have the Fishpond Wildhorse and had some issues with comfort. The big plastic adjuster buckle on my Orvis wader straps were jagging the heck out of my shoulders where the backpack straps sat on top of them. Had to cut the plastic buckles off the waders and sow the straps down. No adjustments anymore on the waders but the straps always slipped loose anyway. And the improvement in shoulder comfort was excellent! I would think any type of backpack will cause this problem if your waders have big pig plastic adjusters on the straps.

I am currently using a Lowepro Hatchback 250. Plenty of room in the top for fishing gear, fly boxes etc., and a special hatch that goes against your back for a camera and a few lenses I can even fit a smaller tripod in the side pocket. It's a nice all around day bag if your activities include photography like mine do. Coolest thing is when you have the waist strap buckled you can undo the chest strap spin it around front and open the hatch while the bag sticks straight out like a shelf, and grab a lens, camera or fly box.

I ditched vests like 15 years ago almost altogether. I have either used slingpacks pocketed shirts and shorts or recently I've found backpacks are the most comfortable. I just like the use I can get out of a good sturdy, simple backback My last outing I had a mirrorless dslr with 4 lenses, nd filters, a tripod, three fly boxes, tippet, cutters/pliers, a drink and a snack with room left over. A comfortable backpack causes less fatigue than a sling pack, offers more room for other essential gear / food and allows me to be out all day and be comfortable and prepared.

Attachments

• 20190514_011750-01.jpeg
    20190514_011750-01.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20190514_011644-01.jpeg
    20190514_011644-01.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20190514_011719-01.jpeg
    20190514_011719-01.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 3
Back