Using a daypack/ fishing backpack

724flyfishing

724flyfishing

I have been throwing around the idea of switching over to one of these fly fishing day packs/back packs for my main pack. I have a Simms headwaters hip pack now, and while I do really like it, by time I have my fly boxes, cellphone, tools, and a couple water bottles in there, it's really bulky. It makes my neck and back sore if I'm on the water for more than a couple hours.

Does anyone else use a back pack for their main carry all? Any disadvantages? I've been looking at the Simms headwaters daypack and ll bean emerger mainly. I did come across a William Joseph Escape on eBay too that looked really nice. There's no where close to me to check any of them out in person though, unfortunately.

I've used a backpack at varying points in time as my main fishing pack and am considering the move back to one. Main plus side is plenty of storage for a full day trip where you'd want a lunch, fluids, and potentially different clothing options for changing weather. It seems more and more of my outings fit this bill...lengthy hike in, fish, find a nice rock to have lunch on, fish, hike back out. Backpacks are typically pretty comfortable for all day wearing IMO too, as long as they have hip and chest straps. Main drawback of a traditional backpack is that everything is behind you, even the stuff you need to go to somewhat regularly like fly boxes, tippet, and floatant. It can get kind of awkward taking it off and swinging it around front mid stream to get something out while having to hold your rod still. You run out of hands. I've tried adding some military/tactical style modular pouches to the front straps of my backpacks for storage up front but they're not intended for such a purpose and thus mount awkwardly and are clumsy when attached.

LLBean Kennebec is the leading contender for me right now as it solves this issue by putting some storage up front...enough that I can get a fly box, tippet, floatant, shot, and my camera up front to avoid some of the need to get into the main backpack compartments midstream. My main concern with it is whether having those items (weight) in the front will cause the pack to pull forward on my shoulders...similar to a vest. I'll never wear a vest again due to its poor comfort in this regard. I'm thinking as long as there is enough weight in the backpack side of the Kennebec it shouldn't pull forward on me, but it's $150 to try it out. Pretty steep for a pack IMO.

Bottom line there's no holy grail that I've found so far. I know vests are out for me. Chest packs are too small and too in the way up front. Slings are a decent comfort/convenience compromise and I've owned a few of them, but they too ultimately end up being too small for a full day trip. There's trade-offs and compromises no matter how you slice it. I suppose if the Bean at $150 is the holy grail for me, maybe that's not too bad of a bargain!

I use a backpack, but add a chest pack to the set-up because I found out that I would continually get annoyed having to take off the backpack to change flies, add tippet, floatant, grab my nippers, etc. A backpack is great for hauling extra gear, food, and water, but I found it very limiting as my only fishing pack.

I use a Vedavoo Deluxe Spinner Day Pack with the gear pouch as a chest pack. That way I can keep a box up front of the flies I plan on using with my nippers, hemostats, tippet, etc.

The backpack has extra fly boxes, socks, food, water, camera, etc. It is a pretty sweet set-up.

For me I still need storage up front that I can access quickly when I am using my backpack/chest pack. That is one of the reasons I like sling bags so much. You can move them out of the way, and them swing them around to get access to it without taking it off, but sometimes I need the space a backpack and chest pack give me.

You could essentially do a combo with a backpack and your hip pack. Put all the gear you don't need quick access to in the backpack and your fly box, etc in the hip pack.

I did check out the Simms Waypoint Backpack and was very impressed with it. Add the Simms WayPoint Chest Pack and I would be in business! The LL Bean Kennebec is pretty sweet looking as well. Normally not a vest fan, but the backpack/vest combo looks like it could work well.

I agree with you guys on all points here. It's just tough making a decision what I want to do and how to do it without spending a $100+ on something I may not like or end up using much.

I'm with you in definitely ruling out a vest. I can't stand them, especially when it's hot out, or I'm trying to layer up for the cold. I also don't like the chest packs. I'm thinking maybe I could add a zinger or two for my nippers and hemostats to the back pack straps. Also add a tippet holder. Then my chest waders have a nice size pouch that's usually reserved for car keys and a chew can. I could put those in the backpack and put a fly box in there. That might work, or like suggested use my hip pack too and just put the basic essentials in it.

Like Swattie said, there may be no holy grail here. The struggle is real with finding the perfect medium ha ha. I'm just glad I'm not the only one who has been trying to think of a way to do this.

I have fished with a backpack/chest pack combo only a few times and I found it to be pretty nice to haul extra gear, food and supplies. I normally fish with an Umpqua Overlook 500 chest pack. I can stow enough fly boxes in it and I don't feel that it hinders my vision or casting. This pack was designed to be used with the Umpqua Surveyor Backpack. I saw that flyshopcloseouts.com had it marked down from $170 down to $70 or so and I picked it up... (Personally I think $70 is still a bit much for it, but I indulged.) The chest pack clips into the backpack to work together. It feels pretty balanced together but it is a bit of a pain to get to the backpack when the two are joined. The Surveyor backpack has some nice features like two integrated rod tube holders (I liked having a spare rod in the event I would have broken one while being so far away from my car.) It also has an aluminum frame that keeps the backpack from resting flush on your back so your back can breathe while it's on. The frame does cut into the volume of the bookbag, but it is a removable frame, so you can decide what's more important for your needs.

I do like this setup. I know that the Overlook chest pack is on sale at mrfc.com for about $50 and it was on bluequillangler.com for $55 with free shipping. Flyshopcloseouts is no longer around, but you might be able to find the Surveyor backpack on clearance somewhere since umpqua has redone there pack lineup for this season. There are review videos of these two Umpqua products on YouTube - I think I they were done by intheriffle.com if I remember correctly.

Also, you could consider getting a small chest pack and sheering a any old backpack over it as another option too. The LLBean's Kennebec does seem like a nice option too. If you sign up for LLBean's emails, they periodically send out 10% and 20% off purchases in emails too.

One thing I would recommend giving serious consideration of is having a rod tube holder in the backpack...

I hope you find something that works for you.

You could always you a lanyard as well for some of the smaller items. I have never used a lanyard, but it can hold all the items that you may need frequently.

I hate chest packs always find them in the way. Maybe its the gut hsha.

Enter large simms sling. It cant haul as much as a backpack. It does haul more than i like carrying! Water,lunch, r ain gear all my fishing needs, tp,knife, firestarter (fish remote a bunch) bug spray, andca pile of other stuff!

I kick around a backpack but find i haul way to much in it

I don't like sling packs or traditional vests. I used a hip pack for a few years and really liked it but always was struggling to find room for food, water and place for my rain jacket or light jacket when conditions called for them.

I got http://fishpondusa.com/product/detail/2015-wildhorse-tech-pack/2250 and have been extremely happy with it. The set up in the front is perfect for me and I fit in all my gear in the front pockets. I do long day trips a lot and the backpack portion has been used for jackets. Water and food. It isn't set up to carry heavy weight as a more traditional pack would but I don't need it to.

I also have the Simms headwaters daypack and chest pack. When I go on overnight camping trips I take this combo. The pack is sturdy, distributes weight well and has just enough room to pack for a night or two out.

You can find Simms headwater packs with the chest packs for about 100 dollars as try just updated the line.

I'm a big fan of using a large size sling pack. I can carry all my fishing stuff including fly boxes, etc. in the front compartment and hang my tippet spools and essential tools on the outside. Everything stays behind me and out of my way until I need it.

On a short trip the main compartment stays mostly empty, but for longer trips I can carry a lunch, water bottle and raincoat. Also I can shed my jacket or shirt and store it in the pack if things warm up or carry an extra shirt or light jacket for when things cool down.

The larger sling is also serves as a great kayak/ boat bag. I don't have to change things over when I switch from wade to boat fishing.

My PA license is attached, so all I have to do is grab my rod and sling pack since and everything I need and use stays in my sling as not to lose or forget anything.

afishinado wrote:
I'm a big fan of using a large size sling pack.

Me too...I think. Have about a year in with the Orris guide sling and have found it to be comfortable and functional. At times it has far more capacity than I need and there are still situations where having everything in front of me, vest style, would be preferred but I think I'm liking the sling more and more. Wish I had a better way to secure a net for the times I carry one. It has a d ring but I would like some way to keep the net from swinging around back there.

I have the backpack attachment for my Down's Box. I obviously store flies in the chest part, but I keep a lot of random stuff in the backpack: sun screen, sun blocking gloves, drinks/snacks, and if I think it's going to rain, a jacket.

I just bought the Simms Waypoint small sling pack. I can fit all my Tacky fly box's in the pack with a lot of other accessories. So far I really like it. It's both very comfortable and functional. I tried the waist pack and didn't like it at all. I would highly recommend trying a sling pack. This is coming from a guy that would never imagine giving up my fishing vest.

Ron

Ill vouch for the sling pack too.

Ive used a chest pack, hip pack, and sling pack. Out of the 3, the sling pack is the only one I currently use. Its an Orvis pack. It holds 5 fly boxes, a decent sized water bottle, a sammich, raincoat, toilet paper, 6oz flask, and a buncha other junk. Biggest complaint is a better place to hang a net to keep it from flopping around, but 90% of the time, I dont carry a net though.

Slings are awesome. I normally use a sling for my quick day trips. You can get them large enough to hold almost all a backpack can, I just find that most go over your right shoulder, and that is my casting arm...it makes for a sore arm after a long day of fishing.

I use a sling for 90% of my fishing, but for those long treks into a spot, or when I am fishing all day away from my car a backpack does come in handy for the comfort and the extra room. If you are not hiking into places, or spending hour upon hours away from your car I would also suggest a sling pack.

bassman, a sling can cover distant trips...I do it regularly in places most people dont care to play! I don't carry a tent or sleeping bag though lol......my rain gear is a bit heavy I need to rethink it...after a 14-16 hour day on the water that sling loaded can and does get heavy...but it is by enlarge more comfortable than anything I have carried and suited for what I'm trying to do! My buddies typically wear at tact vest with their 44's slung. Along with the rest of the garb. I found the sling fits my style of long day fishing very well! So don't rule it out. I don't think the smaller slings are suited for bigger jaunts in the bush however (smaller simms or equiv). There is no comparing the amount of room the larger vs smaller slings.

Anyways.

There is one downfall to a sling I haven't seen posted and I found a way to address.

NETS!

I don't know what you sling guys are doing but I found the smith creek works perfect for my net. The sling sits over it. I can walk through the nastiest alder patch Ak can off and forget its there unlike everything I've tried over the years. It was bad enough I stopped carrying one all together, they were always a pain. The sling keeps that nest to my back, and unnoticeable yet easy to reach with the smith belt holder.

I do clip to tab on the smith creek net holder and have a longer piece of stretch cord so I can easily drop or drop and not loose down the river if it should happen. It works very very well! Sometimes getting situated with a heavy sling can be flustering. Once you learn it, the fix is simple. I'm used to wearing a backquiver for bowhunting so the adjustment was small and easy, once I gave it a bit of thought.

Anyways, for those with slings and have net issues, this is my solution and so far I've loved it with both a smaller net and a mid sized (short handled) net.

Unless I'm fishing for large trout my net stays home most of the time. I just like to release the fish in the water through the use of barbless hooks and forceps. If I am fishing for large trout I just stick the net in my wader belt or carry it. Most times the large net is kept on shore while fishing.

Ron

AkDan. My problem is I like to lug around a DSLR, and a ton of other camera gear that I end up never using. For strictly fishing gear a sling is my go to, but when I take my DSLR, Lenses, batteries, point and shoot camera, gorilla tripod, etc I need a backpack. I also lug around a ton of backpacking gear for longer days like fuel, stove, food, etc. I just carry way to much non-fishing related gear. The new slings that companies are coming out with can hold a bunch of gear no doubt.

I am currently using a fishpond sling and they have a net sleeve in the back of the sling that holds the net well. The other slings I have just have a d-ring and you have to clip the net to it and it can get annoying.

I'm looking at a Fishpond "Blue River" Chest/Lumbar Pack new for $35.00 + shipping. It's usually like $89.00. Does anyone own one that could comment?

swany50 wrote:
I'm looking at a Fishpond "Blue River" Chest/Lumbar Pack new for $35.00 + shipping. It's usually like $89.00. Does anyone own one that could comment?

I have had one for a few years and it is an awesome hip pack. Enough room for a couple fly boxes, bottle of water and small snacks.

The room is limited but that is part of the reason to like it. Very comfortable and if you aren't a gear freak it will work perfectly. For that price, you probably won't find a better deal.

I hear ya Bass....

I carry too large of a camera as well. My sling is pretty packed with crap. End up using my cell to take pics most of the time. I'm to busying fishing LOL!

What are you carrying for a stove? I have a snowpeak gigapower I use on sheep hunts, ti pot, weighs almost nothing. But its too bulky for the sling. I save the hot food for when I get back being it too is usually too bulky for the sling.

You could always use a folding stove setup that uses wood etc for fuel, they are lighter yet.

I'm running the large simms sling, I run a 2nd run of tippet rolls off my D ring and the smith for my net....really like the set up.

Back