Use a Wading Staff for a Stealthy Approach

F

Fishidiot

Don't leave your wading staff at home when you're planning to fish a small trout stream under very low conditions such as we're experiencing now. A wading staff is, in my opinion, highly valuable under these conditions because it really allows you to slow down your pace and move much more stealthily. When you wade into a low, clear pool, that staff will function like a third leg and allow you to move your foot that is off the bottom much more slowly thus reducing surface ripples. It will also allow you better balance during such a slow movement and prevent a stumble which will put the pool down.

Next time you're out on a skinny trout stream with spooky fish, use your wading staff to s l o w d o w n. You might be surprised at how much it helps.

Face it, Dave. You are getting old and need a cane. Just say it. As for spooking trout in small streams, shadows and sudden or brisk movements are the worst. In stream, generally, trout are top predator; but, their danger is from above. They are keen to notice movement above and clues that an above water danger exists.

Dave.. This is one of the best pieces of tactical advice I've ever read on this forum. All the more so because its value is so obvious once you think about it, which I never did.

You've taught an old dog a new, valuable and worthwhile trick...

Be like this guy:
Great_Blue_Heron_Wading_2.jpg

This is good advice I have used in the past.

P.S. I read this site not only for good advice and to relax between fishing outings, but also to read the good nurtured ribbing that goes on:)

I'm 63 now, so I might be tempted to use one when I get old. But I'll draw the line when it comes to using two of those fancy "sticks" for hiking. One maybe in the future, but hopefully never two.

few ideas on trekking poles, if you fish PA mountain streams...

the best books and articles on hiking in NE PA mountains, including to very remote and difficult streams, are by Jeff Mitchell (Hiking the Endless Mountains, book and blog).

http://wcexaminer.com/mitchell-to-lead-hiking-program-1.1620374
https://endlessmountains.wordpress.com/

(great books, btw.) as you see in the first link's picture, he uses a pair of trekking poles. they spread the work of walking to your arms, meaning you walk much faster. also have more points of contact climbing and descending.

when I started using a pair of trekking poles, I walked right past my usual turnoff on a rail grade because I got there so much sooner. much safer on steep climbs and descents.

do have to be careful not to lose them, I attach them to my vest when stopping or slowing down to fish. I also fish four-piece rods in remote areas and carry them in fabric rod bags.

I have a $250 carbon fiber pair of trekking poles, but aluminum is less.

trekking poles would be complete overkill on most flat PA streams near roads. but on remote mountains streams, they work for me.

http://www.easternslopes.com/2011/05/04/the-forgotten-hiking-essential-trekking-poles/

better fishing in mountains and faster safer hiking. as for the idea that you look old, who cares how you look fishing small streams in mountains -- or any place else? in dozens of trips to remote nepa streams this year, I ran into one guy out there. he had hiked over the mountain I was going out to fish up. had a carbon trekking pole ...

Because of my physical limitations, I could never fish without a staff. Not only for navigating up and down banks and wading, I find it helpful for me to lean on the staff now and then when fishing.

Several years ago I bought 3 Swissgear hiking staffs at K-Mart on sale for $14. One for me, one for my wife, and a spare. They never failed us. I attach it to my sling pack with a carabiner clip.

I'd sure like to see someone stand on one foot and fish at the same time.

Well I'll be darned- thought trekking poles were for dudes on trails.

JackM wrote:
As for spooking trout in small streams, shadows and sudden or brisk movements are the worst. In stream, generally, trout are top predator; but, their danger is from above. They are keen to notice movement above and clues that an above water danger exists.

You may be a curmudgeon, but that's spot-on!!! :-D

My long-time fishing partner is getting older (aren't we all) and he started using a wading staff several years ago. His choice is a light wooden staff with a ceramic tip. He put an eye bolt in the top and attached a 2-3 foot piece of paracord to it with a clip on the other end attached to his vest. This way, when he's wading and wants to cast, he can let the staff slip into the water so both hands are free.
Works great.

Back