Upper Delaware / Hancock NY advice (float trip for my dad)

S

Slatyfork

Hi everybody,

I'm new to central PA and looking for some advice. I'd like to book a couple days floating on the Upper Delaware around Hancock NY (my dad is older and struggles to wade because of bad knees, so a float trip is better for him). What time of year is most productive there? We like to streamer fish for big browns...

Thanks,
Matt

Contact the guide you'd like to use and they will provide all the info you need. BTW, today would have been a good day and there's no guarantee that the browns will be big....and they can be caught on just about any waterway within an hour of Hancock.

If you want truly giant browns, ashokan, pepacton or cannonville lakes and live bait can get you 8-15 pound fish.

No kidding, there are fish that big in the reservoirs up there?

With sulfur’s and green drakes due any day not sure any guide would want you to tie on a streamer. You might only get a 23 incher on one of those. The Delaware river club has nice basic rooms. I wade but have seen the same guides for years there. Jeff runs the place and is very helpful.

Definitely reach out to Cross Current Guide Service. My fiancé and I had a great time fishing in September, even with lower flows.

I would contact them and tell them what you are interested in and they'll point you in the right direction.

My buddy Frank was actually fishing the lake today. Eight trout between 19 and 26 in and two small mouth between three and a half and four and a half pounds.

If you are looking to streamer fish, some guys will claim spring is the best other guys will like early summer, some guys like late summer and some guys will swear by the Fall. You have to form your own idea and opinion or take suggestions from your guide

I do like the streamer idea. However, daytime no. Night time fishing 3, yes. Long Eddy? Could be good.

Times have passed, Captain Bud, Brian Wilson, I fear has left. Novado Ca. we talked 3 times a week, talk all stopped. Joe Mcfadden, i do not know, Mary Dette if still around, would be my call.

Times have changed on the Delaware. What once was, is no more.

Option 2---- Kinzua Dam, Warren Pa. Tailwaters. Trout, Big ones like streamers. I call it the Delaware North.
Not much talk about it, I think a man could find a guide there with some real blood running through his veins. A so called----- go getter. Might want to check it out. Hooked jaws and the works!

Thanks for the advice. Crosscurrent seems like the right outfit for me. Might try to do the fall if I can get off work.

I'd like to try Kinzua sometime. Good idea...

Lake-fishing isn't my thing, despite the behemoths you can catch--I don't have the attention span for it. Used to do a lot of flailing at Cape Cod for stripers, and even that was pushing it, despite the occasional big excitement...

Be aware that the lake flips late summer... depending on the day/overnight temperatures. When the lake flips, the water can become cloudy Gray and go all the way to reddish brown. It will be reduced visibility which can be off putting for anglers but can make the fishing a little easier.... sometimes.

While you are super stoked to slay butter slabs, please remember that they spawn in the fall and deserve the respect to not be harassed at that time so they can make the next generation.

Other fall opportunities for streamer fishing up a good sized brown:

Lehigh river - Nick at wild east outfitters
Yough - laurel highlands guide service
Below Kinzua dam
Clarion river
Bottom 20 miles of Penns
Pine creek
E. Branch Susky
If you want to stick to the Catskills....
Esopus, Neversink, Beaverkill, E branch above pepacton or W branch above Cannonsville (both of which will have limited access due to private property)
Etc, etc

Ditto on Cross Current.

But more importantly, let any guide you contact know precisely what you are interested in and your skill level. The better the guide understands your wants and needs the better job they can do meeting them.

krayfish2 wrote:
Other fall opportunities for streamer fishing up a good sized brown:

Lehigh river - Nick at wild east outfitters
Yough - laurel highlands guide service
Below Kinzua dam
Clarion river
Bottom 20 miles of Penns
Pine creek
E. Branch Susky
If you want to stick to the Catskills....
Esopus, Neversink, Beaverkill, E branch above pepacton or W branch above Cannonsville (both of which will have limited access due to private property)
Etc, etc

Thanks for the advice. I live on lower Penns but have just scratched the surface there... I've floated it for bass a couple times & done well.

Back