unusual materials

I 2nd the Organza for Trico spinner wings. You can buy a yard of the stuff for less than 2 bucks when it's on sale at Joann Fabrics.

i have used the clear parts of those vynil window decorations i like rubber bands if they arent too thick as nymphbodies (golden stones) cat fur dubbing i have even used dryer lint got the idea from jayL and paint brush fibers for mayfly tails
i love all of your ideas and definatly will be stealing some thanks for all the replies

Since we are admitting to shopping in the sewing stores, I have another item I use that I get at Joann's. If you use Uni Stretch to build up underbodies, Joann's sells something called bulk nylon that is very similar and works great. You can get it in a lot of colors and it is about $4 for a big spool. I built a little jig for my drill press to transfer it from the big spool to an empty thread spool. I would guess that one big spool = about 5 regular spools, so it is a lot cheaper than buying Uni Stretch.

Here at work we have an engineering model shop which stocks all kinds of wire. My favorite is bi-filar red/green in 26 gauge. Makes great size 20 copper johns. I'll have to get a pic up on my WEB site.

Franklin; Where have you been,we've been looking for you at the meetings and fly tying. Tried to email you, came back.
Lou

Someone told me the shiny silvery inside of a Doritos bag can be used like silver tinsel. Has anyone tried that?

i bet doritos bags would be tedious to cut all those lil strips but its a good idea if one is in a pinch...

A roll of double sided mylar tinsel is about $1.50. I have no idea what a bag of Dorito's cost, but you would have to pay me a lot more than $1.50 to cut the strips!

LouM wrote:
Franklin; Where have you been,we've been looking for you at the meetings and fly tying. Tried to email you, came back.
Lou

Unfortunately my employer actually makes me work ever year or so. Had several work trips and every one was one a meeting or tying night. I think I can make the tying night this month, I'll send you my new Email address. I need some pheasant tails with blue wing cases. Do you have any good patterns we can steal from Sandfly?

Here is a wire body midge, size 18, tied with the bi-filar green/red wire mentioned above.

Attachments

• DSCF0265.JPG
    DSCF0265.JPG
    422.4 KB · Views: 5
Unflavored waxed dental floss can be used to make underbodies. Its a great cheap way of building up the body and can easily be covered with thread or dubbing. The thread or dubbing will grip the waxed dental floss and not slip around on you.

Back