unusual materials

flipnfly

flipnfly

ok so i come across this while surfing and i know there is some real creativity here while im wondering how dryer sheet and tape wings work tied upright( if they twist the leader during casts or are too heavy ) on a mayfly i was wondering what are some of the oddball materials you guys use commonly......

Most of my copper johns come from old speaker wire...

My silver and copper wire comes from the extra wire from lighting fixtures . Never once has a trout told me they thought it looked different. ;-)

Volksnurse wrote:
Most of my copper johns come from old speaker wire...

You should keep in mind that wire marketed forfly tying or crafts is usually coated so that it does not tarnish. Wire from stripped electrical wiring is not coated an will eventually tarnish and become very dull. Not a big problem if you are using the flies soon after tying, but if they sit in your boxes for while, they will lose their shine.

Kev

Wart hog hair, Horse tail,

Hard as nails on the wire...

Volksnurse wrote:
Hard as nails on the wire...

I think transformer wire is varnished. Maybe I'm lazy, but tying materials just are not that expensive and I like to be able to get uniform material and the same stuff when I need it. I do like playing with unusual natural materials and have my eye out for some horsehair. Sandfly, do you have a source?

You can get dyed horse tail hair from Feather Craft. Go to feather-craft.com and type in product #TP005. It comes in nine different colors.

Had over 50 horses hext door last year, they are all gone now. got to walk the wire this year to get some. if anyone in your area has horses either ask or check the wire they rub on barbed wire to scratch ther butts and the tail hair is left behind..

Thanks Sandfly and TYoung. I'll keep an eye out for that.
To the OP's question, another thing I have used is the thin mylar-like material that electronic components are shipped in. It makes great scud backs.

Tool; that stuff they make wedding veils out of. Come in all colors and is cheap.

Great substitue for no-fray wing material.

While I prefer the fly tying version from Hareline, the tool material definately works.

MKern wrote:
Tool; that stuff they make wedding veils out of.

Uhhh, that's tulle, Matt. Similar to organza....

Sparkle organza works nicely for spinner wings. It's dirt cheap to use for flies - not so much when used for a wedding veil. ;-)

I knew I wasn't spelling it right.

used a hole punch to make holographic eyes from the left over parts of a sheet of stickers.

Oreo Cookie wrappers. Seriously.

Those would be considered illegal in special reg areas, flavored with a food sourse.....

Haha i lick the wrappers clean first!! :)

There's a caddis pattern out there that uses scotch tape and dubbing. Similar to his dryer sheet pattern on that site.

I use easter grass on my flash backs. Red, silver and holographic.

Bread tie wire for lead weight!

They use lead wire to seal food items? Probably not.

Back