Unique Penns Creek Brown Trout Markings

I grew up fishing upstate new yrk and most stocked fish im used to catching are totally mangled... I just assumed wild because this fish looks very clean and colorful. Is this what this fish look like when they are stocked in PA? or does it take a year (or few) to look like this?

i would certainly love to see them if you can track them down, because i havent been able to find a single other picture on the internet of a fish that looks remotely close to this one.

That is 100% not a tiger

raftman posted pic of what many agree is a holdover stocked Brown Trout on the big wild trout thread....check around post #44. Similar markings but will wait for the experts to weigh in.

I would agree that fish looks very similar to the markings on the fish i caught. Kind of bums me out because i thought i had a very unique wild fish here. Was even considering have a repro done. Just amazes me that a fish that spend so much time in a hatchery could have such pristine fins and amazing colors...

Let me hit you with another question (and please excuse my ignorance)... is it possible that a stocked trout spawned and the result is a wild born trout with similar spot patterns to your steryotypical stocked trout?

we need to have a section just for the wild/stocked threads where people can go nuts with this stuff.

Psu- that's a trophy trout is anyone's book. I wouldn't be bummed out. For the trout to look that good it has likely been in the stream for quite a long time and is probably just as wild as any other trout you might catch.

It's not a tiger.

I lean strongly in the stocked camp, but am never fully 100% sure on fish like this. But yeah, in the stream a long time, probably since it was a typical 10-12 incher, so, likely 2 years. Which is plenty long enough to color up and have the fins heal up a great deal.

My reasoning: No blue eye spot. No red spots, and a touch of red on the adipose is trying to come out but not strong as is typical in wild fish. Fins show evidence of past damage but the typical fray has largely healed over, leading to a smooth edged but not perfectly shaped set of fins. Black spot pattern is typical of PFBC strain but would be unusual in Penn's. But Penn's is stocked with brown trout in some sections. It is also perfectly capable of holding them over, as evidenced by the presence of wild fish throughout. As well as letting them travel, as evidenced by everyone catching occasional stockies even in non stocked sections. And the size is such that a typical stockie, with 2 years in the stream after being stocked, would be right around that size. I.e about an inch or so larger than wilds in the same year class, as hatchery growth rates for the first year outpace Penn's creek growth rates by an inch or two.

None of those factors, on their own, are reliable. But they all add up to tell the same story here. So I'll believe the story is the most likely one.

Origins may be hatchery but don't let that ruin it for you. It's a beautiful large brown trout that is well naturalized to it's environment.

How old would you estimate a fish of this size to be? Both hatchery raised and wild?

Spring stocked trout are typically a year old and 9-13 inches after being fed heavily. In 2 years they'll be 16-19 inches stocked as trophies. Some 3 year olds may be stocked as real trophies in the 20s.

Wild fish vary greatly by stream and sometimes by which pool it's in. In some streams very old fish don't break 10 inches to give an idea of how much things can vary. But that stream may also have 20 inchers that are younger but grew up in bigger water and swam their way there.

In Penn's, they grow rather quickly and somewhat uniformly. It has a lot of food. In say, May, 1 year olds are typically 7-11 inches. 2 year olds are 13-15, and 3 year olds are 16-18. I don't find many larger than that, frankly.

You have one that spent year #1 in a hatchery and 2 and 3 in the stream, IMO.

Definitely not a tiger.

I'd estimate probably a 2-3 year old fish - tough to say on age. If it were wild, I'd guess older.

Agree that this is probably a stocked trout. . .but one that displays interesting and very colorful patterns. I'd be very proud of that fish. What a beauty!

All very interesting, I had no idea they grew so quickly. Ive been on this forum for a few hours and have already learned a ton.

Now in your post before last you mentioned blue eye dots, and red adipose. At this point I think you guys have put forth enough evidence to convince me that this is a stocked fish, but in scrolling through my many pictures that I took of this fish, I was able to get some which show a rather prominent blue spot, and shows a rather vibrant red adipose (Im assuming cell phones at night time dont caputure it all). How reliable are these indicators?

PSUturf91 wrote:
How reliable are these indicators?

Pretty reliable in their totality for brown trout. The older and larger a trout gets, the tougher it is to make the wild/stocked call. We've gone round and round on the wild vs. stocked topic (as can be seen in many comments). Nevertheless, this has been a fun thread with a really neat looking fish.

Glad you're learning so much about trout. Stick around and enjoy our forum community.
Dave

The eye spot, we're not talking a regular spot, nor an overall cheek coloration. It's a defined blue or black spot, kind of reflective, with diffuse edges. Someone post a pic! I'd say it's about 90% accurate to put a number on it.

The red adipose, if completely absent, IMO makes it nearly 100% stocked. I.e. all wilds have it. But vice versa doesn't work. Freshly stocked fish rarely have it, but long term holdovers seem to get a weak version. In these, it's usually like the spots on the adipose want to turn red, but the whole fin doesn't take on the color. Like yours.

As I understand it, these 2 indicators are diet related, but imprint nearly permanently at a very young age based on diet at that age.

The black spot pattern is primarily genetic, though large variation exists between, and often within, wild populations.

Check out several discussions Here on Stocked Brown trout and tiger trout. Scroll down to the Salmonoid post for 3 for links to past discussions. I also included a picture of a wild brown I caught with a prominent blue spot for comparison.

Attachments

• Browntrout.jpg
    Browntrout.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 4
The above is a good pic for the spot.

There is blue color on the gill plate. That's meaningless!

But the darker, smaller, spot between that and the eye. That's the one we are talking about.

now let me ask about another fish I caught 2 winters ago out of penns. It was a 19 3/4 inch fish. It was very dark and had very few spots and very little red anywhere. It had a very prominent blue spot behind the eye much like the one photoed in the above post. However, the adipose fin was missing which I have always believed meant stocked fish. What do you guys know about adipose clipping on trout in central PA?

I am trying to post a picture of the fish I am talking about but for whatever reason it will not upload.

Wild. Electroshocked and clipped as part of a population study. That's how it sounds to me. 2nd time through you can get an estimate of what % of trout are being captured by what % are clipped from the first shocking a few weeks or months earlier. From that you can estimate total population.

Other than the adipose it sounds like a prototypical Penn's wild brown.

We don't clip all stockies nor refrain from clipping wilds. Clipping can be used on either as a marker in a specific study.

Very interesting! Thank you to everyone for the great info!

P.s. when I state those ages, you can add a few months. They hatch in winter, and I was talking typical spring sizes. So what I called a 1 year old is more accurately 15-18 months, I suppose.

Regarding growth rates, what will amaze you is what happens in crazy rich environments, like lake Erie. A fair portion of males will return to streams at age 1 (and a true age 1, not plus a few months, in some cases it's minus a month or two). They're 18 inches and shaped like footballs! Disregarded by locals as mere jacks, lol.

Both sexes come in mass at age 2 and are mid 20s and football shaped. Age 3 are low 30s.

Meanwhile in some very small infertile headwaters streams 4 year olds might be 8 inches.

Most streams fall between those extremes, obviously

Definitely stocked brown, no chance its a tiger. Ive caught alot of pa stocked brown trout with those exact markings.

Back