U del

the fishing was def not good enough for that kind of suicide run.

Fished Shehawken down to Junction Pool today from 2:45pm - 5:45pm. Plenty of insect activity as well as wader/boater activity.

Only managed one rainbow on a caddis pupa nymph. There were surface feeders, and I tried to catch the first dry fly trout of the year, but unsuccessful. Hendricksons were coming off and the Swallows were picking them off more frequently than the trout, however there were sections with rising trout. Tried duns, floating nymphs and emergers and couldn't get any hook-ups.

Heard and saw several other anglers frustrated being unable to snag em on top.

Fished the top of lower and upper EB Thursday and Friday. Didn't see much activity down by Fireman's Field, but upper EB had steady risers to small olives from 3 to dark on the flats. Small olive duns and small rusty spinners did fine for me. Need A game for presentation on those long slow flats up there though. Browns were in great shape and most jumped.

Not too familiar with the Delaware system... will the river levels be OK this weekend with the forecasted rain?

Anything can happen but the release on the west just got dropped today due to what the flow plan calls for. I would hit it. It fished well this past weekend, and surprisingly not too crowded on foot - main stem. And with cool weather nothing should change much this week as far as bugs go.

Olives, march browns, hendricksons, caddis, and paraleps.

Here's the link I use for levels on the West Branch: Hale's Eddy

East Branch at Fish's Eddy: East Branch- Fish's Eddy

Here's the Main Stem at Callicoon: Callicoon

As said, anything can happen with the flows. There is rain predicted for most of this week, FWIW.

ETA: VCRegular- have you seen March Browns coming off?

Was there over weekend. Did very well, but didn't fish in the rain on Sunday. I saw some MBs throughout the system.

I've seen forecasts predicting 0.20" of rain between Tuesday and Friday as well as predictions of 1.5" of rain. The first scenario poses little trouble to wading plans as most of that would get soaked up by the ground. If it does rain harder,stain or rising levels could be a concern. 0.5" - 0.75" of rain typically changes flows pretty dramatically. 1" - 1.5" would take a few days to exit the system. Most predictions are showing much more rain in SCPA and SEPA and lighter amounts toward NCPA and the NY border. Doesn't appear that there will be problems but keep an eye on the weather in case things change.

kray-If you tell the whole world how great it is and then they all come there you have no one to blame but yourself.

Buying stuff is what fly fishing is all about. Can't cast a fly rod yet but go out and buy a boat. And rather than learn through experience you just go on the internet or go to a fly shop for info.

Foxtrapper wrote:
kray-If you tell the whole world how great it is and then they all come there you have no one to blame but yourself.

Buying stuff is what fly fishing is all about. Can't cast a fly rod yet but go out and buy a boat. And rather than learn through experience you just go on the internet or go to a fly shop for info

My discussing the rain forecast = telling everyone it's awesome? Not sure I'm getting your angle. Pretty sure the fishery isn't a secret. 7 out of 10 guys that try it won't make a second trip. They get shut out, catch bad conditions or they are unable to cast sufficiently enough to fish the river.

Who's promoting buying stuff?

The boat / casting comment makes little sense. I can cast and I did buy a boat. Wade fished the system for over 20+ years before considering a boat. Got tired of driving 3.5 hours and find the river blown out.

I will agree with the experience comment. "The river is safe to wade up to XXX cfs". Really? The one section I like to fish isn't very wadeable over 600 but shops and books will tell you it's fine up to 1000. What do they mean by fine.....that you can get 10' off the bank and watch fish rise all day at 150' away? Hell, I saw 2 older dudes wading the monument pool when the Hale Eddy gauge was reading 5500 cfs. I thought it was insane but they were catching fish. Experience is invaluable.

Back