Tying thread cut-off tool

S

steve98

Has anyone seen videos of tyers cutting the thread of their finished fly with small straight edged type razor tool? If so what is it and where can it be obtained?

Thanx
Steve98

Many youtube tiers are putting a sharp edge onto the handle end of their whip finisher. Many whip finishers have a flattened end on the metal rod that runs through the handle tube. Just file a sharp edge on the end of that flattened bit.

Go to Joann fabrics web site and put in scissors in their search box, I think you will find what you want. Fiskars is one of a couple.

Craig Matthews tying something was the first video I noticed what PennKev refers to. It saves maybe 4-5 seconds. A high volume production tyer might find this worthwhile. Otherwise, a scissor blade slice works fine. Besides, as clumsy I am, I could predict injury to self as better than 50/50 with a similarly modified whip tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIelGE5kJ6M

Tim Flagler did a zoom presentation for the American Museum of Fly Fishing a couple days ago and this topic came up. He said he sharpens the non-business end of his whip finish tool into a chisel point using a belt sander, but a sharpening stone would also work. Really is just a convenience thing.

The presentation can be seen on the AMFF's facebook page if anyone is interested. It covers how to tie some early black stonefly patterns.

High production fly tying, i can not think of his name, from i believe, Boulder Colorado. Production fly tying, Ah, i remember, A K Best.

All tolls stay in your hand. Never put down, only put to use.

I followed it, in my day. Some say get everything ready and tie, it is faster. I am not so sure about that.

I guess, a blade on the bobbin, just after a finger whip finish, could work.

Whip tool is just one more pick up. Scissors in hand, will cut, right to the chase. Every way, always.

I get my scissors at dollar store. Use them, till dull and get another pair. So if you see me in the Cosmetics Isle, don't fear, just reviving my tools and needs.

DrownedFish wrote:
Tim Flagler did a zoom presentation for the American Museum of Fly Fishing a couple days ago and this topic came up. He said he sharpens the non-business end of his whip finish tool into a chisel point using a belt sander, but a sharpening stone would also work. Really is just a convenience thing.

The presentation can be seen on the AMFF's facebook page if anyone is interested. It covers how to tie some early black stonefly patterns.

I saw this once a long time ago. The guy had a "V" ground into the bottom. He did very well with it. Just muscle memory after a while.

I too file a notch in my whip finisher.
My source for the idea was Sylvester Nemes .

Big John Forys supplied many of us with scalpels a few jams ago. They are very handy at the tying bench .

Maxima, rarely can I understand you or your posts, but you are spot on about AK Best. I learned tying with scissors in hand but don't pre cut material.

I've been using the scissor to cut thread a long time. Now just using one blade. Think of it as an elongated tool talked about here. Not so much on time savings, just simplifies the process and is a bit more precise.

I have an old whip finisher. What seems to be heavy wire is I thing tool steel. You can grind to a point and glue a square piece of really fine, 1200 grit, sandpaper near your vise and keep it sharp. If you don’t use a whip finisher it’s meaningless, if you do it’s a quick way to cut the thread.

xGepr42.jpg

4994082-retractable-utility-knife.jpg

I use a Trim Cuticle Remover & Pusher

https://www.houseofbeautyworld.com/trcurepu.html?msclkid=19084ab4163b171984d02ae6f05d0a29&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing%20Merchant%20Center(BSC)&utm_term=1100203251170&utm_content=All

Back