Tying P.A's Infamous Pink Worm.

I saw the green hat during the Able adventures but unfortunately you never smoked the pipe in the store.

FYI the smoke alarms in that place don't work.

RowJimmy wrote:
I saw the green hat during the Able adventures but unfortunately you never smoked the pipe in the store.

I always smoked enroute and leaving the store. Driving and smoking is a simple pleasure. You think I'm anal retentive about stupid fly fishing nonsense, you should talk pipe with me. Its a detailed lifestyle, my friend.

Wow you guys are great at taking a thread WAY off topic. lol

Jdaddy I take no offense to not wanting the mp bobbin. I havnt met the person who wants it.... until they actually use it. I will never use another bobbin holder and its not because i can thread bobbins quickly and easily with it. The bobbin holder is the most comfortable bobbin holder i have ever tied with and i have tried many of bobbin holders.

Its not that much more than some other bobbin holders out there. But its of much better quality imo

Plus mine was a gift, I to would not put out the money for this bobbin holder and had many other bobbin holders. Then my old lady gave me it for Christmas and well, I haven't picked up another bobbin since.

I own one bobbin. I don't own a bodkin. I use big needles. I use one color of thread at a time. I don't follow pattern: I imitate bugs with the material I have. Some times it is "LaFontaine" or "Shenk" or "Clouser," other times, it is just "JackM."

I sometimes wonder if fly tying isn't overcomplicated more than fly fishing. I refuse to be a slave to fashion.

IMO

JackM wrote:

I sometimes wonder if fly tying isn't overcomplicated more than fly fishing. I refuse to be a slave to fashion.

IMO

Without question. It's an art with a touch of science. That allows artsy and mr science folks plenty to differ on.

In high school I took an aptitude test.
Result-be a teacher but never work with my hands.
Tied thousands of very efficient fish catchers but nary a fisherman catcher.
Me thinks we kid ourselves .

gfen wrote:
RowJimmy wrote:

I always smoked enroute and leaving the store. Driving and smoking is a simple pleasure. You think I'm anal retentive about stupid fly fishing nonsense, you should talk pipe with me. Its a detailed lifestyle, my friend.

You and Les....

wsender wrote:
You and Les....

There's a man who fully comprehends the magic of pipe. "You can't take a picture of me, I need my fishing pipe." See, that's the way its done. One pipe for each tobacco, proper resting, even the way the bowl is shaped which effects the burn and thus the taste.

You don't just put it in your pipe and smoke it, people.

Fred Astaire wrote:

It most certainly is, which is why dubbing on a hook is a good time. Jay's streamer design fell into the same category, too, "lash some stuff on a hook til it looks good." Its that very reason it takes me so long to tie flies, I start to wander through the materials drawer and put weird things into new places.

There's a time and a place for ultra traditional, same with the soulless mechanics of the commercial churners, but I'll be damned if I want to lose the enjoyment of lashing #OOPS# to a hook.

I used to be that way w/ my pipe smoking, Gary. Now, not so much. I get a pipe nice and broken in, good cake built up, and smoke whatever fancies me.

I used to smoke my pipes A LOT more though. Now that I have kiddies, no more smoking in the house, and my wife doesn't like how it makes the car smell. I pretty much only get to smoke while I'm fishing.

Got out today with my pop and a few friends. We couldn't catch a darn fish with this fly, but they did take other flies today. Just wondering if certain streams this pattern is defective? Or is it just user error?

I have found that it seems to work better on rainbows and brookies.

I've had luck with it on Spring Creek in the dead of winter...

nice video

Back