Tying for a trip

Baron

Baron

I'm out'a here this July 4th for a week in the Jackson WY area. I would really like to tie my own flies for this event. Do you traveling fishermen take your own vice and materials and tie when you arrive or do you tie well in advance? I had thought that the basic nymphs really don't change much from coast to coast, am I wrong? I thought that I may as well tie up some pheasant tails, Sawfly, Prince, Frenchies and Hares ear. Maybe also, for drys a couple PMD in two colors, Adams and Elk Hair Caddis. for terrestrials a couple Ants, some black, some red. Then Maybe I should wait to arrive and see what other terrestrials are hot there.
How would you approach this. I'm fishing with family, no guides.

Boy....I'd be taking a bunch of stuff if I were to take my tying vise and materials.

I've fished Colorado many times and I just take what I already have tied up.

I stop in a local fly shop and ask what fly's would be the best on what given stream (it's there best guess too) and just buy what I think I may need. I've found that foam hoppers work well on cutthroat and they are pretty much indestructible. But that also depends on the time of year.

I hope this helps.

Tie before you go.

For dry flies, tie or buy lots of Stimulators.

What I have most confidence in is: Size 14, yellow body.

But it's good to have a variety of sizes and colors.

If you really want to pre tie your flies, check with a pro shop local to the area to see what flies to expect. Purchase a few of those as a thank you for the info. Use them as patterns and tie tie up a bunch prior to leaving.

I typically shun away from taking materials on trips for various reasons.

1 is I want to spend my time fishing or with family/friends, not tying flies.

2 you will invariably not have the right materials

3 the pro shop owner is making a projection months in advance, things change.

4. Some local ties have a style, material or other quark that seems to be the " hot" fly. Guaranteed you won't have it.

If I were you, I would budget the cost of a few dozen flies into the cost of trip, and save yourself the aggravation.

I love tying flies for a trip. Do some internet research or call a fly shop or two in the area. Take whatever you have tied up with you and if that doesn’t work for you hit the local fly shop and get out your credit card. Have a great trip!

Well since you all presented your advice so readily and clearly I think I'll do a sort of hybrid of all the above. I saw the stimmy's mention along with several types of hoppers. I use them anyway back here at home, yellow 14.
For eating I was hoping to catch some Mountain Whitefish reported to be in the pools of these streams. Do any of you have experience catching them.....may I assume I should use Nymphs, scuds and so forth?

Baron,
Your trout flies that you use in PA will serve you well out West. Take a mix of nymphs, dries, streamers, etc. that you have confidence in.

I enjoy tying in anticipation of a trip - great fun and motivation. And I like tying on location when I'm somewhere fishing so I often take some tying stuff and if I need materials I'll hit the local fly shop.

Well Dave the timing may be a little off due to temps but I tend to agree with your statement. Since I fish for trout very little in the east I am shy on nymphs and so forth. I have all the foam hoppers I bought for my trip to the Green last year. I've read that the Clouser Deep Minnow does somewhat well as does the stimulators so I'll tie some of those as well. I guess what I'm most after is the chance to tie with a goal...something that will force me to get it right.

google for hatch charts for the rivers/streams youre going to fish in the jackson area

same goes for fly shops in that area

i tie at home and have never put together a traveling fly tying kit

i dint mind buying a few local patterns from local area fly shops

For western trips i do a lot of research and tie beforehand. I end up buying some from local shops once there.

Eastern trips, if I'm driving, I take a small travel tying set I put together. A few times I camped and spent a little time in the slower afternoon tying.

I hear purple haze is vital.
I will attempt to tie some "beforehand". I really like stopping at local fly shops for supplies and local knowledge.

I hear purple haze is vital.
I will attempt to tie some "beforehand". I really like stopping at local fly shops for supplies and local knowledge.

I tie like a madman even for PA trips so I'm not the best example but my advice is to tie around 50-100 flies before you go then when you get there ask a shop for intel and buy another dozen while youre in there.

Back