two wooly buggers?

C

Canoetripper

I have never done this before so here is what I plan to do and my question.

Two wooly buggers and two different fly rods with different color combinations and switching the fly rods back and forth.

Cone heads at the end of the 7.5' leader for some weight.

My question is about the other bead head and where to tie it. Should I do this directly to the loop to loop on the fly line or should I tie it to the perfection loop on the leader, or is there a better way.

I just don't know since I have always only fished with one fly, but learned from the guide in Colorado to fish with more than one fly. I fished with three there. I want to start with just two rather than complicate something new for me.

I did once try to fish with two wooly buggers once before by tying a second fly directly from the bend in the hook but ended up foul-hooking three. I don't want to do that again.

I would tie the second fly off the bend of the hook of the first fly.

BrookieChaser wrote:
I would tie the second fly off the bend of the hook of the first fly.

Agreed, if you don't want to foul hook anything just give yourself more space between the flies. Can't imagine tieing a second leader to your fly line, that would be tangle city.

I recommend keeping things simple.

Go to the stream with one rod and just tie one Wooly Bugger to the end of the tippet.

That way you can FISH, rather than spending your time fooling around with rigging up tackle, then switching back and forth between rods, then untangling the epic mess you've created.

When fishing streamers, it's best to keep moving, covering a lot of water, running the streamer through every likely spot.

troutbert wrote:

Go to the stream with one rod and just tie one Wooly Bugger to the end of the tippet.

That way you can FISH, rather than spending your time fooling around with rigging up tackle, then switching back and forth between rods, then untangling the epic mess you've created.
/quote]

Although I've never tried two woolly buggers specifically, two streamers, or a streamer and a nymph, will sometimes out fish a single because it looks like a bait fish chasing something to eat, and it may trigger an impulse to get there first.

Two flies are a lot easier to cast than one fly, an indicator, and shot. If you're going to use two WB's, tying to the bend of the hook, as mentioned above, is the easiest to rig up. Putting the heavier fly on point should avoid all tangles.

The two rod idea is a poor one, but two flies might just be the way to go. (I almost always fish two flies.)

Fellow board members,

I apologize if my writing in this post wasn't very good. 100% my fault. I do not try to fish with two fly rods at the same time. Nobody could do that.

I have four fly rods rigged and ready to go, which is why I have a Denver Outfitters Fly Rod Vault. I fish with one fly rod at a time for a while and then try the others that have a different colored wooly bugger to see which one works best.

I try another fly rod and different colored wooly bugger next before changing my location and repeating the process over again.

I apologize for any confusion, but do appreciate the feedback about tying the second fly off of the bend in the hook. It didn't work the first I tried this, but there is always a second time.

CT

Canoetripper wrote:
Fellow board members,
I do not try to fish with two fly rods at the same time. Nobody could do that.

I apologize for any confusion, but do appreciate the feedback about tying the second fly off of the bend in the hook. It didn't work the first I tried this, but there is always a second time.

I routinely take two fly rods rigged differently when I'm fishing, although mainly when in a boat because when wading, obviously, it's hard to find a place to put the other rod.

Anyway, while I agree with Troutbert's advice to keep it simple if you're a beginner, fishing multiple flies often works well. Streamers are less likely to be fished "tandem" compared to nymphs or wets, but it can be done and I agree that tying off at the bend would be the easiest solution.

never tried two wooly buggers....I've done two dry flies that worked ok, until they hit two different current pockets. At which one fly drags the other. Normally I will use a dry dropper to a nymph. Someday I'll try the two woolys.

I often fish 2 different steamers or a steamer and a bugger. It works well. I'll tie a double surgeon's knot in the tippet and use a tag end to tie on a lighter colored steamer or bugger and then 18 to 24 inches below I will tie on a darker heavier steamer. I have had a lot of success catching wild browns with this set up. No issue with getting tangled.

I'm having a hook me season.....I caught myself twice. Once in the face and once in the thumb.

Been thinking of this for a while and it’s simple 2 buggers one floating and one sinking

melvinp wrote:
Been thinking of this for a while and it’s simple 2 buggers one floating and one sinking

How do you make a bugger float? Especially when it has another bugger pulling it down from underneath???

You coat it with a fly flotant oil and make sure the sinking bugger is smaller than the floating bugger.

Canoetripper, Funny thing, your wisdom. Yes, an old trick used by striper fisherman. A smaller fly in front of the larger trailing fly. Imitates a fish chasing a smaller fish. Deadly combo!

hint: flies are not tied together using bend of hook! You're almost there. Yes, 2 flies,

If I wanted to tie two flies on a leader without tying one on the bend of the other I'd use a Spyder Hitch and cut one leg shorter than the other.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I49CS7Ddi
GG

If your going to tie two Woolybuggers on your line, then I would think you want the one at the tippet's end to have the weight (lead wire or whatever) and the next one to be tied without any weight in it.

Seems to me it would be a whole bunch easier to cast.

Steeltrap wrote:
If your going to tie two Woolybuggers on your line, then I would think you want the one at the tippet's end to have the weight (lead wire or whatever) and the next one to be tied without any weight in it.

Seems to me it would be a whole bunch easier to cast.

Yeah, you definitely want the heavier one on point.

Sorry been away, floating bugger Marabou tail,schlappen and estaz body,thicker closed cell foam tied like guggler, on a light wire #4 3x/4x long hook.Done floating bugger.And for the second bugger it would be a #8 1XH 3X/4X long beadhead no lead added.Yes trying to send a rig like this 50FT would be next to impossible those little flips into a head current that drops into a nice deep pool will work.

melvinp wrote:
Sorry been away, floating bugger Marabou tail,schlappen and estaz body,thicker closed cell foam tied like guggler, on a light wire #4 3x/4x long hook.Done floating bugger.

And a new fly is born! The Woolgler!!!

Tried it,It works

Back