Two fish one cast

I’ve had two wild trout, 2 species, two significantly different sizes, on one 2” Rebel minnow plug, part time for each species, and on a single retrieve. It happened on Cedar Run. About a 9-10” ST hit the lure near the surface and as I made about 3 cranks of the reel an 18” BT hit the lure or the ST, knocking the ST off of the hook. Now the BT was hooked and I retrieved it the rest of the way. This was fully observed by my friend and former colleague from an overlook above the pool and it resulted in a pretty good laugh. For a while at my end I was trying to figure out exactly what had happened. I went from a light weight fish on the retrieve to a moderate jolt and a suddenly heavier weight on the rod with a completely different fight.

Wow, you are having some wonderful fishing! If it wasn't so far I think I would come down for a few days. Were you nymphing mostly?

wbranch wrote:
Wow, you are having some wonderful fishing! If it wasn't so far I think I would come down for a few days. Were you nymphing mostly?

If you ever want to go send me a text, would be happy to show you around. It was a combination of both. Summer time can be pretty good hopper dropper time.

In 2011 I started fishing 3 wets again after a long hiatus. There was a 3 weekend stint in June that I fished Neshannock creek and there must have a lot of hungry fish in close proximity because I had six or seven doubles. Also had a triple that I landed but that included 2 trout and a SM Bass. Next year, similar stream conditions in June on Neshannock but only 2 doubles. Since then no doubles there. In the last 9 seasons I’ve only had maybe 2 doubles despite fishing 2-3 wets the majority of the time in May. I’m not sure what changed. I must be doing something different or fish densities are what they were.

Back