Two fish one cast

ryansheehan

ryansheehan

I was double nymphing today when I hooked up two fish with one cast! Considering they were decent sized fish I can't believe I landed both. I had a buddy net them for me otherwise I don't think it would have been possible. Also had a copperhead swim within a foot of me in the river, a little too close for comfort. Here are some pics from the weekend.

9ovwW9s.jpg

Qwo1jJU.jpg

aUVBdsC.jpg

LD5neLm.jpg

Pw2esFB.jpg

LcWlQlO.jpg

4KBUvQr.jpg

gWxb6Bj.jpg

6nFR3e7.jpg

Two different species as well. Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Awesome! Usually one gets off but not this time and ya those were some good fish too. Great browns as well, looks like a fun time

Congrats on the double. Those are some really nice browns. That's a good size snake too!

I’ve done it before, but both fish have been dinks. Nothing like the combined mass of those two fish. Very nice.

Nice fish all around in those pictures.

And yeah, that’s definitely a CH, and a not a Northern Water. Saw a Rattler swim across Penns before. They definitely can swim!

Great pics. That’s one fat copperhead too.

The best ever beginning of a day I've ever had trout fishing, and on a well-known all wild brown trout stream with the reputation to not give up fish easily, was catching four trout on my first two casts!.......two doubles in a row to start the day!

Now you're telling stories

FINtastic, Mr. Ryan! Always follow your western Md. exploits with interest, as I love that region too. If you don’t mind, we’re those all caught on N. Branch? Any residual interest in cicada patterns? Congrats on the dynamic double!

Highstickdrifter wrote:
FINtastic, Mr. Ryan! Always follow your western Md. exploits with interest, as I love that region too. If you don’t mind, we’re those all caught on N. Branch? Any residual interest in cicada patterns? Congrats on the dynamic double!

Thanks! Working on a stream report, will post it shortly.

Great photos Ryan. The one of you holding the two trout up should go on a wall. Thanks for sharing.

I've done 2 on one cast a couple of times, it never ceases to be a surprise.

The real surprise was I did it once on the Tully, and they were the only 2 fish I caught that day.. Usually its a situation where you're slaying them But not that time, the 100 casts before and after were met with nada.

Since this seems to have turned into a fish measuring contest...

I once caught two fish on one case on a single wet fly. Size 14 I think.

But they weren't trout. They were snapper bluefish, both about 7 inches long. one was on the hook, the other latched onto the first one's tail. That is no lie, and I landed both of them. Wife witnessed it. Second one never let go but did fall off while I was holding them over my bucket, taking with it a bite size chunk from the first one's tail.

They aren't bad sauteed in a little butter.

Talk to us when you catch two steelhead on one cast. :)

allthingsfishing wrote:
Talk to us when you catch two steelhead on one cast. :)

I once hooked two landlocked salmon on the same cast in Grand Lake Stream in Maine. I landed the smaller of the two; it measured twenty inches.

Very nerve-wracking.

I have done this twice in 65 years of fly fishing, both times small fish, maybe 9-10 inches.

mcneishm wrote:
I have done this twice in 65 years of fly fishing, both times small fish, maybe 9-10 inches.

I do it 5 to 10 times a year. The smaller the fish, the easier it is to land both.

I've also landed single fish that had both flies their mouth.

Back