Tulpehocken vs. Manatawny

Nope I'm talking holdover through the summer.

Wildbrowntrout,

I would suggest fishing the Tully based on the availability of fish and access. However, as the season progresses, the fish do become quite selective. The fish that were stocked 2 weeks ago are already becoming selective. I know the stream intimately, and I usually do quite well there. I fished there yesterday, and there were others fishing it as well. My friend and I caught a bunch of fish, while most of the other fly fishers caught few fish. PM me if you would like some helpful suggestions.

Opie610 wrote:
I do fairly well on the Tully. The fish get educated real quick though so 25 and 30 fish days become 10 and 15 fish days and you really have to work to get that.
Fished it yesterday with mostly midges and the take was so quick and light it was unreal. I lost or missed way more than I landed. What made it even harder was the water is low and you could see the strike at times, but before I could react it was too late. But I do love the Tully lot of good memories there. As for the Manatawny I can not speak I've never fished it, but I do hope to soon.

Opie

Opie, you are right about that. I do a lot of sight fishing at the Tully (and other streams), and it is amazing how they can take your fly and reject it in the blink of an eye.

I fish the mannatawny often in the winter and catch lots of holdovers. Actually a bit suprised how many bows hold through the summer.

Jessed, that's what I was hoping for. Browns are impossible to catch after a while (at least for me). The bows seem like the easiest to catch on a fly once they've seen everything. Brookies just get fished out too quick around me. I went to the mentored trout day and all I saw was brook trout being caught, only 1 brown.

To my knowledge, both as one who has electrofished the stream at a number of locations and as an angler who grew up fishing the stream, there are three stretches of 500 yds to o.75 miles that support good wild brown trout populations and a fair number of holdovers as well. Throughout the rest of the stream the wild trout numbers are ho-hum, unless you are fishing in close proximity to the mouth of a wild trout stream. During a cool, wet summer, you will find extremely low densities of wild Browns throughout the stream, even in Pottstown...like about 2-6 in every 300 yds of good habitat.

Nearly every trib to the Mannatawny supports a wild brown trout population and one of those tribs has greatly improved over the years such that the BT population now extends downstream to its mouth. In the Little Manatawny the wild BT population has been extended upstream and the population in one of its tribs has naturally extended downstream. A search of the wild trout streams list and the stream under consideration list now and over the next six months will perhaps be helpful as an educational tool regarding the Manatawny drainage basin's considerable wild trout populations.

First post*

Glad to have happened onto this forum and this thread.

Around 20 years ago when I pierced my first lip with a fly it was on the Tully, back when I lived in St Lawrence. Many awesome memories of being diddly deep, rod in hand with trout sipping all around. I found it to be a first class stream back before the 'net exploded and knowledge became so easy and those peaceful spots became harder worked. I can't speak for how it is now, haven't been back in well over a decade since life happened and squeezing in that ideal evening hatch time became hard to keep scheduled.

I now live in Pottstown and am breaking out the fly gear for the first time in many many moons. I still haven't found my wading boots to go with my chest waders and may have to break down and buy a set soon. I have been limited to down to the Mouth end of the creek so far, I know a spot there that is stocked and my worm drowning mini-me is having good luck there at least as far as rock bass and smallies and so he wants to keep going to the same spot. Hearing that upstream holds some decent fly fishing opportunities is good news and I will be working on getting upstream and breaking out the rod and gear once the bottom section gets emptied out of the stockers they are supposed to putting in next Friday.

Sidenote- back in the day the Tully was definitely capable of supporting hold-overs.

BigggJack wrote:
First post*
Glad to have happened onto this forum and this thread.

Welcome Bigggjack to our online community and welcome back to fly fishing. We're glad to have you join us. Enjoy the discussion.
Dave

Back