Tulpehocken Creek a Mud Pit

G

GlenmooreJohn

I was taking a walk along the Tully yesterday and there was heavy equipment digging out the Cacoosing Creek causing all sorts of mud to wash down stream again. It was a mess all the way down to where we stopped hiking at Red Bridge. Does anyone know what they are doing now? Do you know if Trout Unlimited is actively involved in this project? If there was ever a time to step up it is now! I am afraid all this mud will destroy the trout fishery downstream. So disheartening to see.

I was taking a walk along the Tully yesterday and there was heavy equipment digging out the Cacoosing Creek causing all sorts of mud to wash down stream again. It was a mess all the way down to where we stopped hiking at Red Bridge. Does anyone know what they are doing now? Do you know if Trout Unlimited is actively involved in this project? If there was ever a time to step up it is now! I am afraid all this mud will destroy the trout fishery downstream. So disheartening to see.
I assume they are removing some of the sediment remaining from the dam removal.

Below is a link to an article and thread about the project>

If the gravel bar that formed at and in the vicinity of the Cacoosing confluence as a result of the dam breach is being removed, that’s a good thing. I would not be concerned about that at all….temporary inconvenience, permanent improvement.

I assume they are removing some of the sediment remaining from the dam removal.

Below is a link to an article and thread about the project>

Thanks, the article very helpful. I am all for removing the dam but not sure how the trout will cope with all the sediment in the water. Will they relocate further below or above the mess? It's fouling up at least a mile of stream length.

Thanks, the article very helpful. I am all for removing the dam but not sure how the trout will cope with all the sediment in the water. Will they relocate further below or above the mess? It's fouling up at least a mile of stream length.
I would be surprised if there are any trout left in that section of the creek by this time of year anyway. Those stocked fish cannot live in the warm water. Any wild fish have moved elsewhere by now.

Hope it doesn’t fill in any remaining hard, rocky bottom downstream. There was about a 200 yard stretch of good water at the 222 bridge. Hope it’s fishable this fall.

Here's an update from Scott (PA Woods n Water). It's a work in progress and in due time it will be much nicer than it used to be. Unfortunately, until Mother Nature can "flush the system", it's a bit of a mess.

I would be surprised if there are any trout left in that section of the creek by this time of year anyway. Those stocked fish cannot live in the warm water. Any wild fish have moved elsewhere by now.
^This

Are the temps on the Tully even viable for trout right now? I suspect that stream is probably running a balmy 74. I only fished it once last year and I'm fine with never going to it again even though I find it scenic and sometimes the fishing can be really good. My preferred species to target their are suckers as the Tully seems to have them in droves with some specimens pushing the 25 inch mark. It is also the first stream to grant me a 20 inch fish, a lovely holdover brown that I should have lost due to very poor line management. It's also the first stream I caught a trout on the fly rod.

Off topic, and I don't know how this could even be attempted, but if the Tully could have water released into it like the Delaware I can just imagine what a fantastic fishery it would be. I don't know how that could be achieved or if it is even possible with the current dam system, just something I pondered after fishing the Delaware.

Last edited:
Are the temps on the Tully even viable for trout right now? I suspect that stream is probably running a balmy 74. I only fished it once last year and I'm fine with never going to it again even though I find it scenic and sometimes the fishing can be really good. My preferred species to target their are suckers as the Tully seems to have them in droves with some specimens pushing the 25 inch mark. It is also the first stream to grant me a 20 inch fish, a lovely holdover brown that I should have lost due to very poor line management. It's also the first stream I caught a trout on the fly rod.

Off topic, and I don't know how this could even be attempted, but if the Tully could have water released into it like the Delaware I can just imagine what a fantastic fishery it would be. I don't know how that could be achieved or if it is even possible with the current dam system, just something I pondered after fishing the Delaware.
Blue Marsh Lake has silted in over the years and the amount of cool water is limited for release in Tulp. Those reservoirs in New York are gigantic and deep and the water entering them is very high quality and cool to start with. The place where they could do this is Raystown.

Blue Marsh Lake has silted in over the years and the amount of cool water is limited for release in Tulp. Those reservoirs in New York are gigantic and deep and the water entering them is very high quality and cool to start with. The place where they could do this is Raystown.
Raystown would be a great candidate, but PFBC is afraid of destroying the striper fishery in the Lake. Or at least that's what I've been told is the excuse. It wouldn't take much water or even all that cold due to the short distance to the Juniata. I believe a gentleman from the LJRA tried to get some momentum for it, but not sure where he got with it.

Of course, there's always the debate over the Lehigh and Francis Walter dam, but what about the Allegheny?
With only a slight change in mandate to the Army Corp, the MASSIVE Kinzua impoundment of cold water could take the upper Allegheny from a max of about 70 to 72 down to maybe 65. 1250 cfs of 65 degree water from late May to mid-Sept. would make 20 miles of summer trout water with abundant insect life. Even though, I don't doubt that you could do better with little crayfish nymphs, the sulphurs, brown drakes, Cahills and caddis do bring fish up. And you'd sell LOTS of drift boats to trust-fund babies, trout bums, YouTubers and other ne're-do-wells. Basically, a new 'industry' would be invented. And not a difficult water way to navigate, unlike the Lehigh.
I'd think with all the talk of Global Warming, an appeal could be made to help make-up for the loss of cold water resources by using what we have right now to restore or make some cold water resources where they didn't exist. Maybe this approach can strike pay-dirt. Free that cold water when the air is so hot and the coolness is needed!

Of course, there's always the debate over the Lehigh and Francis Walter dam, but what about the Allegheny?
With only a slight change in mandate to the Army Corp, the MASSIVE Kinzua impoundment of cold water could take the upper Allegheny from a max of about 70 to 72 down to maybe 65. 1250 cfs of 65 degree water from late May to mid-Sept. would make 20 miles of summer trout water with abundant insect life. Even though, I don't doubt that you could do better with little crayfish nymphs, the sulphurs, brown drakes, Cahills and caddis do bring fish up. And you'd sell LOTS of drift boats to trust-fund babies, trout bums, YouTubers and other ne're-do-wells. Basically, a new 'industry' would be invented. And not a difficult water way to navigate, unlike the Lehigh.
I'd think with all the talk of Global Warming, an appeal could be made to help make-up for the loss of cold water resources by using what we have right now to restore or make some cold water resources where they didn't exist. Maybe this approach can strike pay-dirt. Free that cold water when the air is so hot and the coolness is needed!
People that argue that this would destroy the existing warmwater fishery fail to recognize that (a) it’s already artificially influenced by the dam and (b) the WW species would just end up another 10-15 miles downriver. A bottom release controlled Allegheny would be a killer tailwater wild brown trout fishery replete with superior scenery to route 17 and the deposit sh*t plant.

I will say this...its really hard to get any enthusiasm behind these efforts when the fisheries agency isn't behind it or has the vision needed to move these types of efforts forward. That's been the trouble on the Lehigh and Francis E Walter. It really needs to be a priority with the Commissioners and Executive Director.

I will say this...its really hard to get any enthusiasm behind these efforts when the fisheries agency isn't behind it or has the vision needed to move these types of efforts forward. That's been the trouble on the Lehigh and Francis E Walter. It really needs to be a priority with the Commissioners and Executive Director.
Yeah I was wondering about that project up there. There was a lot of talk about it right before Covid hit so figured maybe that took the wind out of the sails. Any positive news lately in it moving forward?

You’d think that with all the fly fisherman out there, at some point one of us would actually run for office.

The project on the Lehigh is on a temporary hold. Covid messed up the timing and extension approvals are required by the higher ups in the ACOE division. There is hope to restart the work this fall. But with out our fisheries agency pushing for it, I don't have much hope.

As for running for office....does anyone really want to join that sh1t show???

The project on the Lehigh is on a temporary hold. Covid messed up the timing and extension approvals are required by the higher ups in the ACOE division. There is hope to restart the work this fall. But with out our fisheries agency pushing for it, I don't have much hope.

As for running for office....does anyone really want to join that sh1t show???
Speaking of projects on the Lehigh, I just read that they are going to be building 2 new bridges for Rt 80 next to the existing bridges starting this fall. I read an article about it, first I had heard of it.

i should probably start a separate topic about this

As blue marsh fills up the inevitable decision to waste tax payer money on dredging it will draw nearer. Same thing happened with speedwell forge on hammer creek because the dam failed in the setting if the lake filling up with sediment. Ultimately they decided on a multi million dollar bandaid.

Back